This week was a fun one, with a couple of shoots that included a whole lot of peaches (sneak peek here) and a field trip to a working farm outside of the city. Which you may have seen a glimpse of over on Snapchat (follow me @brittnimehlhoff). Have you ever been to a fruit and veggie farm before? It was so amazing. I think I could have stayed forever...the stress literally melts away out there.
It was just a day trip though. And I'm back at home, getting ready for the weekend (yay Friday!) with this week's 7 DIYs to try...
1. sugarcane necklace DIY from For the Makers
2. watermelon papaya rum smoothie recipe from Sugar & Cloth
3. homemade froyo (in 3 flavors) and waffle cones
4. sewn rope bag DIY from Honestly WTF
5. happy happy happy DIY printable
6. mini pop piñata DIY from For the Makers
7. how to dye leather shoes like a pro
Hope you have a good weekend!
Alright chicken and waffles has been done 101 times, but it's because the combo is kind of delicious. Right? So, what if we take that combo and kind of turn it on it's head a little and make it a chicken salad waffle sandwich. You with me on this one? Or have I gone crazy?
This may seem like a strange combo, but I'm pretty sure that if you give it a go, you'll totally love it. So, let's get to the recipe!
- waffles (homemade or store bought)
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cooked)
- 1 cup pecan pieces, toasted
- 3 cups of red seedless grapes
- 4 stalks of celery
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 5 teaspoons honey
- salt and pepper
1. First, cut the grapes into halves and chop the celery stalks into 1/4 inch thick pieces (or desired thickness). Chop the pecans as well. Toss the celery, grapes, and pecans into a big bowl.
2. Then add honey, mayo, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper to the same bowl. Stir well.
3. Next, cut the cooked chicken breasts into smallish pieces, then add it to the bowl and mix together until fully incorporated. Put the bowl in the fridge until chilled (about an hour). Then, add the chicken salad in between two waffles, with some lettuce, and you're good to go. Yum!
BTW, This sandwich would pair well with these lemon and herb french fries, if you're feeling especially crazy / decadent.
Recipe adapted from my fave Whole Foods chicken salad recipe
Styling and photography by Brittni Mehlhoff
Think you'll give this version of chicken and waffles a try?
Believe me, I've tried, but I just can't shake this pink phase that I've been going through lately. Design-wise, dusty pinkish tones are still my fave. And no matter how many times I try to suppress those Pepto-Bismol vibes, they keep coming back up.
So, I figure, why fight it. One day, I'll wake up and be completely over it. But today isn't that day. So for now, let's just go through a few reasons why pink is still kind of the best...
1. (above) Super tall cactus on pink from Hannah Klemm
2. Pink and Periwinkle from Aleksandra Kingo
3. Pink + pineapples. Not a bad combo.
4. Styling (pink) perfection from Molly Cranna
5. Pink on pink
6. Stairway to (pink) heaven from Park & Cube
7. Color blocked pink and peach from Adi Goodrich
What color is having it's moment in your eyes right now? I've been loving blues lately too, but I'd love to hear what you think.