07/14/09
44 comments Creating a No-Sew Fabric Banner (tutorial) by   |   44 comments

how to make a fabric banner

Entertaining for parties and other special occasions is becoming quite the craze, with great sites like Hostess with the Mostess and Toast and Tables showing us how its done. As some of you might remember from this post, I made the fabric banner above for our wedding ceremony- but it would make a great addition to any celebration and can take as little as 30 minutes to make, depending on how long the banner is. Initially, it took me a while to figure out the best way to go about making one of these fabric banners, but now that I have it figured out- you don’t have to. Here’s what you will need:

create a no sew fabric banner tutorialSupplies:

1. Iron 2. Yarn, Jute, or String 3. Iron-on Adhesive (I used Heat n Bond) 4. Leftover Fabric Scraps 5. Scissors 6. Ruler

Step by Step:

1. Gather your fabric scraps and begin cutting them into equal size 2.5 x 5 inch rectangles (size may vary depending on preference). Once you have cut enough, get out your string. Leaving a good amount (2-3 feet) of extra string before starting, turn your first piece of fabric over, so that the “front” of the fabric is facing down. Then place your sting on top of the fabric towards the top of the rectangle, as shown below.

no sew fabric banner

2. Cut a piece of iron-on adhesive that is slightly shorter than the width of the fabric and place below the string. Now fold the top half of the fabric over (should be about a 1/4 of an inch) the string, making sure to cover the iron-on adhesive fully.

no sew fabric banner

3. Place iron on top of fabric for 4-8 seconds, and remember to use the correct fabric setting depending on what type of fabric you are using. Apply more heat if needed.

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until desired length is reached, making sure to evenly space each fabric rectangle from the next (1-2 inches is perfect). Hang and enjoy!

no sew fabric banner

What I love most about these banners is that you can use them for any celebration (or year-round for that matter) and you can easily personalize them by using specific color fabrics or even add vinyl-sticker lettering to spell out a message, like Welcome Home.

{top image c/o Jeanne Ciasullo}

44 comments to Creating a No-Sew Fabric Banner (tutorial) Click here to reply

This is a really sweet idea – thank you so much for putting the tutorial together.

Amanda~Weekend Host commented on July 14th, 2009 at 4:04 am

This is really cute, and so easy!

Lyndsay@LouLouBll commented on July 14th, 2009 at 5:27 am

GREAT idea and post…thanks for that!
Char

char commented on July 14th, 2009 at 8:16 am

Thanks Amanda, Lindsay, and Char. I think you all will have a lot of fun making these. I know I did (and my mom did too- who helped me finish mine so I could work on some other projects before the “big day”). Thanks Mom!

papernstitch commented on July 14th, 2009 at 10:59 am

SOO cute! I’m going to make them for my backyard, just because.

Brenda

Brenda commented on July 14th, 2009 at 5:29 pm

These look kind of like Tibet prayer flags. I like the idea for decorating.

Caroline commented on July 14th, 2009 at 9:17 pm

So easy and wonderful!

A commented on July 15th, 2009 at 8:44 am

This is so clever and easy to do! Thanks so much for sharing. You know the yellow fabric with the white and black spots/designs that look like little eyes? Well, I bought some of that a couple of weeks ago and didn’t know what to do with it… now I do! Thanks again!

RobbieLee commented on July 15th, 2009 at 5:03 pm

I made exactly these for my wedding last year using a combination of fabric that I screen printed myself and mounds of fabric scraps that I’ve had for ages. Only I used hot glue as the adhesive. Thanks for sharing your tips!

Katie commented on July 16th, 2009 at 9:57 am

So sweet. Love how easy it would be throw one of these together for just about any occasion. Awesome.

Shannon commented on July 17th, 2009 at 11:17 am

[...] of paper n stitch made this no-sew fabric banner for wedding ceremony but it would make such great decor for an outdoor party or celebration. [Read [...]

No-Sew Fabric Banner « Craft Paper | Manufacturer | Designer | Information | Europe commented on July 17th, 2009 at 12:12 pm

awesome idea!
This is just what I need for a backyard party im planning

jordy commented on July 17th, 2009 at 1:51 pm

This is such a good idea! I am throwing a baby shower next weekend and I am totally going to make this!

Becks commented on July 17th, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Very cute! Thanks for sharing :)

regina commented on July 17th, 2009 at 4:55 pm

I’m curious – if the idea was a banner you’d be reusing, wouldn’t you want to finish the edges somehow?

Bladerunner commented on July 17th, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Love this, thanks for the idea, now I just need a reason to use it.

traveling bride commented on July 18th, 2009 at 6:47 am

[...] handmade garland situation lately. And OF COURSE I felt it my absolute duty to share with you this DIY Tutorial from Brittni at Paper-n-Stitch. This find comes from the lovely Ellie, over at Mint Design, and she [...]

DIY Friday: No Sew Garland « commented on July 24th, 2009 at 11:05 am

[...] Although I doubt you’ll get those iron sticky thingies, I’m just going to stitch them. Here’s the tutorial on paper n [...]

engagement party! « commented on July 28th, 2009 at 5:07 am

[...] doesn’t love a colourful fabric banner? perfect cheery project for your scraps! (via [...]

MISC. THREE at make something commented on July 29th, 2009 at 1:38 am

thanks for convincing me that I don’t need to use triangles! I was dreading cutting them…this approach is much more do-able! and so cute!!

Elizabeth commented on July 30th, 2009 at 12:03 pm

thanks so much for this tutorial! I’m totally trying out this project. I’ve been loving all the fabric banners I’ve been seeing. I may make one and keep it around (post-celebration!)

jen jafarzadeh commented on August 4th, 2009 at 9:16 pm

[...] Pero sin duda esta es la ganadora del día. Y además viene con tutorial incluido, en la página de Paper n stich. [...]

Inspiración: Guirnaldas hechas a mano « S_tina commented on September 15th, 2009 at 8:34 am

I have been searching and searching for a project such as this to have as a craft at a baby shower! The women will write various “hopes and wishes” for the baby with fabric markers on the banner panels and it’ll hang up in the baby’s room. LOVE IT!

Karin commented on October 3rd, 2009 at 1:11 pm

[...] 5 (rustic) row 1: Our Labor of Love via Once Wed, Paper n Stitch via A Summer Picnic Wedding row 2: Eye Spy Photography Posted in Fancy This… | Permalink | [...]

Flights of Fancy » Trendspotting: Flags commented on October 19th, 2009 at 10:00 am

[...] and made a garland of my own.  I don’t have a sewing machine, so I used the no-sew method (like this) and I had a ball. It was so easy and fun and it kind of looks absolutely fabulous, don’t you [...]

Something lovely for Monday : Old Sweet Song commented on November 23rd, 2009 at 8:47 am

Oh I love this!! I will have to share it on my blog. I’ll link back. :)

Lisa commented on February 11th, 2010 at 10:57 pm

[...] than mine, with lots more photos and explanation. and also Brittni of PaperNStitch has another no-sew bunting tutorial using square flags and heat-n-bond [...]

DIY Decorations – Flag Buntings – commented on February 18th, 2010 at 6:19 am

this is adorable and incredibly sweet. i think i need one for my balcony. i just got my hands on a bag of scrap fabrics, a perfect solution!

off to the sewing store to pick up supplies!

katie f commented on March 29th, 2010 at 11:20 am

Loved the idea. Made it for my sons birthday. Perfect. Saving it to use every year. Way better than a sewn triangle one or the throw away kind. Keep up the good work!

m commented on May 6th, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Thanks again everyone for the compliments and blog mentions. I love hearings your stories about what you are using this project for. :)

papernstitch commented on May 6th, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Just want to say what a fantastic blog you got here! I’ve been around for quite plenty of time, but now decided to show my appreciation of your work! Well done, and all the best!

world cup 2010 betting lines commented on June 13th, 2010 at 9:08 pm

[...] Tutorial found here [...]

Naked Trees and What to Do with Them: Part 1 | Weddingbee commented on June 29th, 2010 at 10:30 am

I think this is just about the cutest thing EVER! Will be making some to spice up my porch for the summer. Thanks!

Nikki/WhiMSy love commented on July 10th, 2010 at 12:35 am

Thank you soo much for such a cute idea! I am setting up a cupcake stand and i am deffo using these decorating my tent! Thanks again<3

Spencer commented on July 14th, 2010 at 11:50 am

[...] made from vintage fabrics to designer dog goodies.  She even shared a tutorial for a no-sew way-cool banner.  An economical idea that is custom and wonderful without being store-bought.  Love [...]

{after dinner} mint commented on August 25th, 2010 at 10:58 am

DIY Friday: No Sew Garland | Grey Likes Weddings commented on October 28th, 2010 at 12:36 am

Thanks for this great idea! i used all my fabric scraps to make two of these pretty banners. I just can’t wait to throw a tea party now!!

Ash commented on December 20th, 2010 at 2:59 am

[...] an old clutch, create magnetic polaroid frames and make a sewless banner all by [...]

on my diy list « commented on February 17th, 2011 at 7:16 pm

Hi!

I just wanted to let you know I referenced your DIY in my blog post today! Here’s the link:

Thanks!
Janee
Janee Lookerse recently posted..Lists- Day 13 – DIYs I want to try

Janee Lookerse commented on June 13th, 2011 at 12:00 pm

[...] try this no-sew bunting [...]

:: 25 Cute Picnic Must Haves To Make… | meetmeatmikes commented on August 4th, 2011 at 7:03 am

[...] and under the bed? Well, I use it for projects that don’t involve sewing of course, like the bunting from our wedding (yep, that was a no sew [...]

Are you a Fabric Girl? | papernstitch commented on January 26th, 2012 at 7:45 pm

I just did this! It was so easy and it turned out so well! I used baker’s twine as the string and left over quilting scraps. Perfect. Thanks!

LL commented on May 16th, 2012 at 9:16 pm

[…] No Sew Fabric Banner / Typography Wall Art Decal / Fruit and Veggie Bags / Watercolour Postcard Messages […]

Blogger Favourites: Handmade Edition | Jessthetics commented on September 28th, 2013 at 1:48 pm