09/28/10
33 comments Art Wall Alternative : How to Create a Book Wall by   |   33 comments

We have piles and piles of books at our house. Bookshelves are great, don’t get me wrong, but I have been itching for a new way to display our ever increasing book collection. And since I love the art wall idea so much, I decided a book wall would be an equally great solution. And the best part is, the books are still fully functional for reading. They can be taken down and put back up in just a few seconds.

If you already have the books and a few other very basic supplies, it won’t cost you a penny. *Book lovers: don’t worry. No books were harmed during the making of this project. So anyone can try it!

Materials: 1. Hardcover books 2. Velcro 3. Scissors 4. Level (optional)

How To: 1. Grab a handful of your favorite hardback books (yes- you’re going to want to use hardbacks. paperbacks don’t work as well). 2. Arrange them on the floor in various ways until you come up with a pattern that you like. 3. While keeping your books in their arrangement, individually cut and apply two strips of velcro to each book (use more if the book is especially heavy). One towards the top of the book and one towards the bottom, both horizontally. Each strip should be about one to two inches shorter than the width of your book. 4. Start at one end and move to the other, securing each book to the wall with the velcro strips, following the arrangement you created earlier on the floor. You can work from the middle out instead if you’d prefer. It doesn’t matter. A level might be a good tool to use as well if you have one. 5. Once everything is secure, you are done.

Now you can pull down a book and put it back up whenever you would like. And when you’re not reading, you have a colorful (and original) piece of wall art. Its a real conversation starter when you have company over.

For more ideas for quick and easy projects, click here to visit the tutorials page filled with more than 40 diy’s.

33 comments to Art Wall Alternative : How to Create a Book Wall Click here to reply

I really REALLY love this one!
Such a great way to keep your most inspiring books close to your working space!

*thanks!*
pilli pilli
pilli pilli recently posted..its good to be home

pilli pilli commented on September 28th, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Thank Pilli! I am so glad you like it. You’re right- this would be great for a workspace.

papernstitch commented on September 28th, 2010 at 1:09 pm

this is amazingly clever!! love it. so simple and chic. im digging for my stash of velcro right now!
heather recently posted..Making our Mark

heather commented on September 28th, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Thanks Heather. I don’t know about you, but velcro is always one of those items that I know I have somewhere in the house, but it always takes me forever to find it. I need to make a special drawer for it or something because I use it all the time.

papernstitch commented on September 28th, 2010 at 1:11 pm

This idea is absolutely gorgeous! It looks so clean, tidy, and modern. Excellent design skill you have there! :) If I tried this it would come out an eclectic mess, like a haunted library gone wrong.
Van recently posted..Thrifty Halloween Craft- Minature Trees

Van commented on September 28th, 2010 at 1:12 pm

This is one of the best ideas I’ve seen in a long time. And the bonus is that your books are still usable! Fab! Stan

Stan Williams -- The Elegant Thrifter commented on September 28th, 2010 at 1:36 pm

This is such a charming idea. And I love the color palette of those books.

linda commented on September 28th, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Thank you Van, Stan, and Linda for your comments. And Van – I am sure you are being to hard on yourself, this project is so easy! Anyone can do it.

papernstitch commented on September 28th, 2010 at 2:41 pm

This is a GREAT idea! I really love it. I have books everywhere, I love reading. Thanks for this!
Monika recently posted..Ladybug Coasters – green set of 4

Monika commented on September 30th, 2010 at 9:51 am

This would be so cute with children’s books!

Julia Spencer commented on September 30th, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Great idea Julia. This would be perfect in a child’s bedroom. Imaginative and organizational. And thank you Monika for the compliment.

papernstitch commented on September 30th, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I like this idea! I featured it on my blog! come check it out!
katie recently posted..Make it Monday

katie commented on October 4th, 2010 at 7:40 am

Hi Katie. Thanks so much for letting me know about your post. And (of course) for featuring my tutorial amongst all those other great ones. Have a great week. Thanks for stopping by.

papernstitch commented on October 4th, 2010 at 9:36 am

[...]  Böcker på väggen (hittad här) [...]

Torsdagsfavoriter « Colorfullife commented on October 27th, 2010 at 7:54 pm

I love this idea, but I live in an apartment. Will the velcro come off the wall easily?

Susan commented on December 30th, 2010 at 2:16 am

Hi Susan. Yes, it will come off pretty easily. The only problem you may have is that if you have a lot of layers of paint built up on the wall the velcro is on, you may remove a layer or two of paint from the wall when you pull the velcro away.

papernstitch commented on December 30th, 2010 at 2:21 am

[...] Décoration murale en livres, le rêve, sur papernstitch [...]

MES PETITES MAINS // magazine » Entre leurs 4 murs commented on January 21st, 2011 at 9:42 am

[...] papernstitch has a different way to display your books face-out. They took the art wall idea and used books for this creative alternative book art wall. [...]

Books On Display -e11even « AtlasBooks Distribution Blog commented on February 3rd, 2011 at 5:03 am

[...] Art Wall Alternative : How to Create a Book Wall | papernstitch. [...]

Art Wall Alternative : How to Create a Book Wall | papernstitch « iamkanna commented on March 26th, 2011 at 5:29 pm

[...] to find this link, I think it’s on ashleyannphotography.) A pegboard wall in my kitchen. A book wall (I guess this one could fall into the modern category). Undershelf jar storage. Quilts. (Though [...]

Conflicts | commented on March 29th, 2011 at 6:47 pm

[...] idées pour le prix d’une, merci PapernStitch ! Découvrez le tutoriel original ici [...]

Velcro Books : une bibliothèque originale | MY DIY – Création Homemade commented on May 17th, 2011 at 2:03 am

[...] découvrir sur PapernStitch [...]

DIY : Velcro Books :Blog Deco – Décoration – Design : Toute la déco est sur Mydz ! commented on May 19th, 2011 at 11:02 am

[...] who see books as art (my personal favorite kind of art, actually), you can follow the footsteps of Paper n Stitch and create your own book wall. The best part bout this tutorial? – the books are detachable [...]

Gin & Jacqie Blog » DIY Wednesday: Books and little nooks commented on July 5th, 2011 at 11:46 am

[...] What to do: 1. Gather a bunch of hard cover books. (No books? No problem-try the local library-sometimes they have book sales). 2. Arrange the books on the floor in various ways in order to determine how many books you will need for the wall. 3. While keeping your books in their arrangement, individually cut and apply two strips of velcro to each book (use more if the book is especially heavy). One toward the top of the book and one toward the bottom, both horizontally. Each strip should be about one to two inches shorter than the width of your book. 4. Start at one end and move to the other, securing each book to the wall with the velcro strips, following the arrangement you created earlier on the floor. You can work from the middle out instead if you’d prefer. You can use a level to make sure everything is straight. 5.Once everything is secure, you are done. {Directions adapted from papernstitchblog.com} [...]

Read All About It :: How To Recreate | commented on July 8th, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I love this! Is there any way to avoid “ruining” the back of a hardcover book with taped velcro? Thanks so much for the lovely idea.

Emily commented on August 11th, 2011 at 1:03 pm

good question emily. i’m not sure if there is a way to get the books to adhere to the wall without using velcro. the books i used aren’t super light, so it was the only supply i could think of that would work.
-brittni

papernstitch commented on August 11th, 2011 at 1:08 pm

[...] Am always looking for a new way to use books – book art wall! Spotted here. [...]

DIY Gems: The Weekend Edition | The Row House Nest commented on September 11th, 2011 at 5:02 am

I absolutely love this idea, but how does the cover stay closed when it is hung up?

Dawn commented on October 8th, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Hey Dawn. I haven’t had any trouble with the covers staying closed at all (probably because of where I strategically placed the velcro). But if you do have trouble, I’d recommend just using a piece of double sided tape on the inside cover. That seems to work well. Good luck! :)

papernstitch commented on October 9th, 2011 at 2:35 am

Dawn commented on October 9th, 2011 at 12:34 pm

No problem. :)

papernstitch commented on October 9th, 2011 at 11:25 pm

[...] old, vintage and rarely-read books on display without harming pages or covers. Head to her fun photo tutorial at papernstitch to see how she did it, and get crafty without harming your favorite hardcovers. [...]

Stunning Reuse Ideas for Old Books and Maps - Earth911.com commented on September 19th, 2012 at 9:03 am

[...] source [...]

25 Easy (Virtually Free) Home Decor Cover-ups | World inside pictures commented on July 4th, 2013 at 10:05 am