Good Idea: How to use a Cheese Grater to Stay Organized

Okay, I know this sounds weird, but its actually a really cool use for an everyday item. Turn a metal grater into a mini magnetic memo board and catch all, just like the ones above.

All you need to recreate this look is a metal grater (I like these vintage ones from AMradio), magnets, and perhaps a skinny vase (optional) to catch your scissors and pencils.

What do you think? Would you use a metal cheese grater like this in your office?

BRILLIANT! I love the plain metal, but they would look great painted as well!

Deanna | December 9th, 2010 at 12:15 pm

Oh Deanna, I love that idea. What color do you think would look best? White is my “go to” color personally.

papernstitch | December 9th, 2010 at 12:17 pm

That…is an amazing idea! You find so many of these while thrifting! But I ponder…does the environment that these sit in have to be pristine, clean, and modern to prevent this still life from looking like a corner of the house from Sanford & Son? 😀
Van recently posted..Holiday Trash Picking- The Experts Guide

Van | December 9th, 2010 at 12:18 pm

You bring up a good point Van. I definitely think these would work better when they are the contrast to a more modern surrounding. Thanks for your thoughts!

papernstitch | December 9th, 2010 at 12:29 pm

such a nice idea … in our apartment building there’s a box in the corridor, where all the neighbours collect things they don’t need anymore so someone else could use them.
so, guess what i pick today 🙂

rike

rike | December 9th, 2010 at 12:33 pm

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by brittni mehlhoff, Jacqueline Fouche. Jacqueline Fouche said: RT @papernstitch: Good Idea: How to use a Cheese Grater to Stay Organized: Okay, I know this sounds weird, but… http://goo.gl/fb/uBT20 […]

Tweets that mention How to use a Cheese Grater to Stay Organized | papernstitch -- Topsy.com | December 9th, 2010 at 12:35 pm

I would be afraid I’d scrape up my fingers and knuckles reaching for things!
Adventures in Dressmaking recently posted..Recycled insulated window shade

Adventures in Dressmaking | December 9th, 2010 at 12:39 pm

bigger ones painted white could also do a nice job as lampshades …

rike

rike | December 9th, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I love this idea! Actually this image is among my Etsy favorites 🙂 I adore it all the way. I’ve also used small ones with a tea candle light underneath. The light that comes out is just beautiful!
Lovely post Brittny ~ happy holiday season to you :)xx

ivy style33 | December 9th, 2010 at 12:51 pm

…sorry dear….Brittni 😉
ivy style33 recently posted.. the Sunny Kitchen project

ivy style33 | December 9th, 2010 at 12:51 pm

I think this is awesome.
Jessica Zigenis recently posted..Its looking a lot like Christmas!

Jessica Zigenis | December 9th, 2010 at 1:29 pm

White is my go-to color as well, but a mustard yellow would be lovely! Or paint them chartreuse and hang mini ornaments in the holes to create a faux-Christmas tree!
Deanna recently posted..Fabrics Galore!

Deanna | December 9th, 2010 at 2:16 pm

re Grater Tree: The grater handle could be bent into a point to really make it obvious. Just pull up in the middle and, viola! Grater Tree!
Deanna recently posted..Fabrics Galore!

Deanna | December 9th, 2010 at 2:21 pm

also makes a great stand for magnets 🙂
alexandra keller recently posted..what i want – holiday decor

alexandra keller | December 9th, 2010 at 4:19 pm

I really would! Its so funky and unusual…but in a common everyday way. I love it! Plus its actually the sort of thing that would work as a boy present which I am really struggling with for Christmas…
LittleMissPip recently posted..Fabric Flowers

LittleMissPip | December 9th, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Very nice idea!!
Carolina Bernardo recently posted..Encomendas

Carolina Bernardo | December 9th, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Very cool!

Tali Schiffer | December 10th, 2010 at 5:49 am

This is a really creative and resourceful idea! But I know how clumsy I am, so I’m sure I would injure myself at least a few times if I tried to use graters as storage containers. :]

Marie | December 11th, 2010 at 11:06 pm

[…] will papernstitch stop being so brilliant?! Hopefully never,and in the mean time I’m a little obsessed with the […]

Weekly Weak Knees — Kyla Roma | February 12th, 2011 at 8:36 pm