04/19/11
26 comments (Tutorial) Alternative Printing Process for your Photographs: Use Mulberry Paper by   |   26 comments
Guest post by Helen Stead of The Creative Diarist.

I miss the days of having a film camera and being able to hold the photographs in my hand rather than clicking through hundreds on my computer. This technique allows me to pick out my favourite digital images and print them in a special and unusual way. The delicate and soft texture of the paper appear so much more beautiful to me than printing images on to regular glossy photo paper.

Another great thing about this technique is that anybody can do it!

Supplies You Will Need: 1. Inkjet Printer 2. A sheet of A4 Mulberry or Handmade Paper 3. Glue Stick 4. Printer Paper

Step by Step Instructions: 1. Firstly scan your image into the computer and save it as a digital file. 2. Next, using a glue stick lightly glue a piece of normal printer paper to the back of your A4 mulberry or handmade paper (both work nicely). 3. Print the image as you would normally but so that it prints on to the sheet of mulberry paper instead. 4. And lastly carefully peel the backing paper off and you will be left with your image on a lovely semi translucent sheet of mulberry paper. If you’re feeling really adventurous you could even add stitch or use it as part of a college. I also really like layering images or text underneath it to add another element to the piece. The possibilities are endless!

Have fun experimenting with printing your photographs on to different surfaces. And for more examples you can visit my blog at www.thecreativediarist.com. I’d love to see what you come up with.

About Helen. Helen Stead is a Mixed Media artist who enjoys experimenting with alternative photography and printing processes. She is inspired by poignant family photographs and creates work that captures the mood and atmosphere of these nostalgic images. You can follow her on her blog The Creative Diarist and on twitter @CreativeDiarist.

For more ideas for quick and easy projects, click here to visit the craft tutorials and diy page  filled with more than 50 diy’s. If you like this project, please help us spread the word by using the twitter and facebook buttons below. Thank you so much.

26 comments to (Tutorial) Alternative Printing Process for your Photographs: Use Mulberry Paper Click here to reply

Whoa!! This technique is so beautiful! I’m so impressed. Helen’s work is lovely too! :-D

Mai commented on April 19th, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Aw thank you so much Mai. :)

Helen Stead commented on April 19th, 2011 at 7:39 pm

beautiful technique! i want to try this.
angie recently posted..persephone vintage

angie commented on April 19th, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Have you ever tried this out with a laser printer…? do you think it would work?

Amazingly beautiful!

YooperGal commented on April 19th, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Good question Yoopergal. I am not sure. Hopefully, Helen will stop back by to answer your question. And if not, I’ll hit her up on twitter and ask.

papernstitch commented on April 19th, 2011 at 9:15 pm

Shut the front door! These are so cute and easy. I want to do this to all of my photos. Is that weird?

-C

Camberley, Fancy House Road commented on April 19th, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Not weird at all Camberley. I feel the very same way!

papernstitch commented on April 19th, 2011 at 9:26 pm

Amazing technique.. I love the results!
Karen recently posted..Bankrådgiveren- Huskeliste til dig der søger forbrugslån

Karen commented on April 19th, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Wow, Thank you for all your lovely comments! It’s still so nice to see my work up on papernstitch! Yoopergal, I’ve never tried it using a laser printer. I’m sure it would work, you would just have to be careful to make sure it didn’t jam up inside the machine!
:) xx

Helen Stead commented on April 20th, 2011 at 4:23 am

[...] sewing is not on the table, I was thinking of printing some photos using this tutorial, making a new mini-book, editing photos, watercolor painting, or just finishing another [...]

the weekend to-do…on wednesday « pattern of life commented on April 20th, 2011 at 3:29 pm

[...] Find out how at: Paper [...]

Alternative Photo Printing @ Return to Yooper Land commented on April 20th, 2011 at 5:54 pm

[...] Weekend project I would love to try ~ printing photos on mulberry paper [...]

weekend zest ~ bumper bunny edition | 74 Lime Lane commented on April 22nd, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I love the effect this gives. Such a great idea, thanks

Lisa commented on April 23rd, 2011 at 5:50 am

great technique.
thanks so much for sharing.

making minis commented on April 28th, 2011 at 9:09 pm

such a cool effect! i think the little boy standing in the water is my fav
alexandra keller recently posted..what i want – road trip

alexandra keller commented on June 17th, 2011 at 11:28 am

What a great idea, I love the textures of the paper and the translucent effect.
Amber Kane recently posted..My Work

Amber Kane commented on July 13th, 2011 at 12:39 pm

[...] Paper n’ Stitch. [...]

Guest Post for Living Life Photographically | ♥ the creative diarist. commented on July 21st, 2011 at 10:24 am

I like the look and the idea, however, I’m not crazy about running glue through my printer. If it jams then there’s glue on my rollers. Maybe it would look good if I used vellum. At least if it jammed there wouldn’t be any glue to stick to moving parts in the printer.

Linda commented on August 14th, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Nice! cannot wait to try this!

Kelly commented on August 14th, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Interesting that you say that you miss holding your photographs, but then you say the first step is to scan your photos?

Sam commented on August 14th, 2011 at 8:26 pm

oh…. that is just gorgeous… thanks ;-)))))

ruth commented on August 14th, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Instead of glue, iron your specialty paper to the shiny side of freezer paper, being careful not to touch the iron to the freezer paper. Us textile artists have been using freezer paper to feed treated fabric though our printers for years. Sometimes a fold of tape at the bottom edge helps too.

Dyenamik commented on August 15th, 2011 at 12:02 am

Great suggestion Dyenamik. Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to try that.

papernstitch commented on August 15th, 2011 at 12:24 am

Thanks Dyenamik, that is a good alternative. I will try that.

Linda commented on August 15th, 2011 at 9:22 am

Hey everybody, just after a bit of help as I bought some mulberry paper of the internet and I am confused because its quite thick and orange coloured. I am wondering if i could still get the same effect? Thanks!

Rashad commented on September 29th, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Hi Folks…For all those who are asking if a digital printer would work? …. No….it has to be an Inkjet because that’s the ink that transfers! For all the crafts where you want to transfer a pic onto any surface like this or like the modge podge version etc…..you HAVE TO USE INKJET! It’s VERY IMPORTANT. If you don’t own one, most copy stores like Staples etc have them….and copies are cheap!!! Have fun!

Diana Pincombe commented on August 4th, 2012 at 10:04 pm