This contributor post was written by Michael Ann of Michael Ann Made.
Springtime has been trying to poke its sunny little head out here in Portland, and I couldn't be more excited! This simple Spring Time Tea Towel DIY should help to bring a little bit of color and sunshine into cold and dark kitchens while we wait for spring to officially arrive. And the best part is that it seriously only takes a couple minutes and some materials already on hand!
Here are the materials you'll need:
1. Kitchen towels that need sprucing! I used plain 100% cotton towels I found at the thrift for $1. You could also use towels that already have a print for extra color.
2. Colorful fabric bits. This is a perfect project for using up precious tiny scraps.
3. Coordinating thread. The applique will look the best if you try to match the thread color with the fabric. But contrasting on purpose can be fun too.
4. Sewing machine or Embroidery needle, depending on your desired approach.
Here's how you make it:
1. Find a springtime pattern that you like and cut out your pieces. I knew I wanted a vintage look, so I searched for inspiration on flickr and pinterest by searching for "vintage tea towels". I found a little 60's flower power motif I liked and drew out a simple pattern. This is the creative part, so let your imagination run wild! Keep in mind that simple and bold images work best with busy patterned fabric.
2.Pin and sew your pieces.
If you are using a sewing machine, like I did, use either a small and very close together zig-zag stitch or your buttonhole stitch, and stitch all around the raw outer edges of your pieces. Pull the thread tails through to the back, tie them together, and cut them off instead of back stitching to finish.
If you prefer a hand embroidered look, then get out your hoop and stitch away! I found some gorgeous towels in my searching that used hand embroidery.
3. Finish off with any final touches! I was originally planning to keep it simple, but then I found this scrap of pink rick rack... Just the kitschy icing on the cake this little retro towel needed! Depending on your mood, you could also add fun bias tape, lace, ribbon, whatever your crafty heart craves.
Now you can make yourself a cup of tea and admire your work! This project was so quick, I'm planning on using it for last minute spring birthday or shower gifts. Happy Spring Crafting!
Like this tutorial? Help spread the word by sharing it on facebook, twitter, and stumbleupon using the handy buttons below.