06/06/12
23 comments Stringing You Along: A Neon DIY Idea for the Kitchen by   |   23 comments

The neon trend has been big in fashion this year, but sadly, I haven’t seen it in housewares quite as much. I love translating fashion trends to home decor because…well…I spend a lot of time at home and not as much time on my outfits. So here’s a tutorial to bring neon into your humble abode. I’m using mine in the kitchen, but you can plop these bad boys anywhere in the house.

Materials:

1. Storage Jars from Tonfisk
  2. Scissors
  3. Neon string (this is the exact string set I bought from Amazon)
  4. Clear tape OR craft glue / super glue

Here’s how to make your own:

1. Choose a color combo and map out your design. Then attach your first piece of string to the container using clear tape of glue. I opted for a temporary solution using tape so that I can remove everything without damaging the containers if I get tired of the neon. If you are using glue, be sure to let the string dry to your container completely before continuing on to the next step.

2. While the string is still attached to the spool, begin wrapping it around your container. Around and around until you reach the desired width for that color. Be sure to wrap the string around tightly to avoid gaps later. If you are using glue, you may want to add a dab of glue every 3-5 rows of string for extra security. If you are using tape for a temporary solution, this is not necessary.

3. Once you are happy with the width of the wrapped string on your container, it’s time to finish up. Cut your string from the spool and attach the end piece of string with tape or glue.

Here’s the finished project…

All photos by Brittni Mehlhoff (that’s me)

If this DIY idea looks familiar, it’s because I shared a sneak peek of this project on Glo.com earlier this year for the hottest trends in DIY.

P.S. I’m not the only one who likes to wrap string around things. Here are a few other projects involving string that you might like… Neon Party Favors on You are my Fave; Milk Bottle Vases on Remodelista; and a Color Block Painted Rope Basket on Design Sponge.

23 comments to Stringing You Along: A Neon DIY Idea for the Kitchen Click here to reply

love it! “@papernstitch: Stringing You Along: A Neon DIY Idea for the Kitchen: The neon trend has been big in fashion… http://t.co/rhXK4iMy”

(@clairezinnecker) (@clairezinnecker) commented on June 6th, 2012 at 10:27 am

Stringing You Along: A Neon DIY Idea for the Kitchen http://t.co/ZY23zZdW via @sharethis @papernstitch

(@NatashaHazrati) (@NatashaHazrati) commented on June 6th, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Stringing You Along: A Neon DIY Idea for the Kitchen http://t.co/rFJ7WSMZ via @sharethis

Aneta Hayne (@stitchinnetka) commented on June 6th, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Fantastic idea :)
Aneta recently posted..Craft Shows- Exploring New Possibilities

Aneta commented on June 6th, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Thanks Aneta. :)

papernstitch commented on June 6th, 2012 at 2:06 pm

It’s awesome to see neon in the home too! Brilliant idea Brittni!
Lauren Elise recently posted..New Discovery: Dear Photograph

Lauren Elise commented on June 6th, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Such an awesome neon DIY by my friend Brittni | Stringing You Along: A Neon DIY Idea for the Kitchen http://t.co/JQNXAIpK via @papernstitch

(@laurenelise85) (@laurenelise85) commented on June 6th, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Aw, thanks Lauren. You are so sweet. Hope you are doing well!

papernstitch commented on June 6th, 2012 at 4:11 pm

What a great DIY! Looking really nice and easy to change depending on the mood.

Thanks for sharing.

designoform commented on June 7th, 2012 at 8:29 am

Making these soon! RT @papernstitch: here’s the tutorial: http://t.co/ry5LZhjk

Maya Shoucair (@mayashoucair) commented on June 7th, 2012 at 3:00 pm

gorgeous idea! so unique and chic!

Nancy commented on June 8th, 2012 at 3:13 am

Awesome idea AND colors! Definitely pinning this one! Quick question: when you’re down to the final string and you attach with tape – how do you hide that piece of tape so it doesn’t show at all? Your jars look seamless, if that makes sense! :)
Laura / Pet Scribbles recently posted..nRelate Related Content Plugin is a Must for Creative Bloggers

Laura / Pet Scribbles commented on June 8th, 2012 at 9:42 am

Good question Laura. I used a very small piece of clear tape. It shows a little bit, but not much. I tried to push it underneath the string above the last piece (if that makes sense) and there is a very small piece that comes down below the last string. But I decidedly made that the “back” of the piece. Glue is really the best way to deal with this if you want it to look seamless all the way around. But since mine is a temporary solution, I went with the tape. Good luck with the project! And have a great weekend.

papernstitch commented on June 8th, 2012 at 1:33 pm

This is delightful!
Christine recently posted..storage

Christine commented on June 8th, 2012 at 5:47 pm

[...] Stringing you along. [...]

Weekend Notes | Camille Styles commented on June 9th, 2012 at 7:29 am

Love how you incorporated this trend into your kitchen. So creative!

Abigail Peterson commented on June 9th, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Jessika Hepburn (@ohmyhandmade) commented on June 10th, 2012 at 9:24 am

RT @ohmyhandmade: @TrashN2Tees DId you see the fun new tutorial on @papernstitch? http://t.co/SkimpGzM

(@hollabee_bianca) (@hollabee_bianca) commented on June 10th, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Really cool idea, a great way to brighten up a room!

Jewelry Rage commented on June 13th, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Oh my, so awesome! I think I might do this on vintage clear glass milk bottles I have lying around for decor! Would look much more colorful and cool!
Janick – Nea recently posted..} La Chica

Janick - Nea commented on July 4th, 2012 at 12:00 pm

[...] it’s a great way to brighten up a room! Brittni Mehlhoff posted this project on her blog Papernstitch. She incorporated this trend into the kitchen in a very creative way! The project seems rather [...]

DIY Neon Kitchen Accessories — Eat Well 101 commented on July 2nd, 2013 at 8:25 am

[...] Neon Kitchen Containers – Paper n Stitch [...]

DIY’s I wanna Try! | Suga Snap Pea commented on August 1st, 2013 at 1:14 am

[…] Add a little bit of color to your kitchen with these neon containers. To make them you need storage jars, neon string and glue or tape. First choose a color combo. Start by attaching a piece of string to the container. Begin wrapping it around tightly and when you’re done with that color, add a ead of glue and cut the string. Continue with another color.{found on papernstitchblog}. […]

Budget-Friendly Decorating Ideas For The Kitchen commented on October 26th, 2014 at 12:06 pm