06/07/12
19 comments Bringing it all Together by   |   19 comments

We’ve lived in Seattle for about eight months now and I don’t think I’ve shown a single photo from our place. Silly me.

Our home is a mixture of both Jeff and I’s styles. I’m a combo of organic modern + quirky, handmade / DIY and he’s super minimal / modern.

We’ve lived together for 6 years now, so we have a pretty good handle on how to mix our styles so that we are both happy, at this point. Luckily, our individual styles aren’t really that different.  And actually, I often wonder how couples with totally different design aesthetics tackle these home decor issues.

But anyway, this image above is probably the best example of how we approach design at home and bring it all together. It’s one of my favorite areas of the apartment – with lots of light and a little bit of each of us on the shelves (PLUS  the majority of our book collection). I posted a similar photo of this book nook on Instagram a while back and got some questions about where I bought this and that.

So here’s the breakdown…

1. purple scarf (Smoking Haute) *10% off with code PNS10
  2. coat rack (Blu Dot)
  3. tan trenchcoat (vintage)
  4. blue clock (West Elm)
  5. tiny white vase (Mudpuppy)
  6. artwork (House Industries)
  7. wooden married couple (Goose Grease)

I’ll post more pictures of our place soon, if you’re interested. But for now, I’m really curious to know…

How do you meld your home decor style with your partner’s?

Let me know in the comments below.

This entry is filed under , , .
19 comments to Bringing it all Together Click here to reply

here’s what our apartment looks like http://t.co/E2zZMY3h

(@papernstitch) (@papernstitch) commented on June 7th, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Love the combos! That stretch typographic 3 steals it for me. XO, MJ
MJ recently posted..DIY Teacher Chalkboard Frames

MJ commented on June 7th, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Thank you MJ. That print #3 is one of my favorites.

papernstitch commented on June 7th, 2012 at 1:09 pm

My boyfriend and I also have very similar tastes. We choose all the big pieces in our apartment. I’ve picked out all the small pieces, but I always run them by him before I purchase them. And for the most part, we agree on everything.

Ciara//Glass and Sable commented on June 7th, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Hi Ciara.

We do something very similar – pick out all the big pieces together and then run small pieces by each other quickly before making purchases if they are going to be displayed. Thanks for stopping by!

papernstitch commented on June 7th, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Looks so colorful and modern!
alli recently posted..Henrietta Fetch

alli commented on June 7th, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Thanks Alli. :) Your blog is gorgeous.

papernstitch commented on June 7th, 2012 at 2:13 pm

A #DupontCircle scarf that I made for @papernstitch is featured in a post on the papernstitch blog!! Check it out! :) http://t.co/XJpEYzl2

Christina Floriza (@smokinghaute_dc) commented on June 7th, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Its funny that you and maggie both posted about combining styles with your man this week. Great minds think alike!
brianne recently posted..In the shop: Fathers Day

brianne commented on June 8th, 2012 at 2:29 am

Thanks for sharing this. I actually need to do a revamp of my house and decor so it is great to see how you combine the styles.

Sasha commented on June 8th, 2012 at 2:50 am

Hey Brianne. I had no idea! Heading over to Maggie’s blog to check it out now. Awesome. P.S. I think I will see you tomorrow?!

And Sasha- good luck with your house revamp! Hope it goes well.

papernstitch commented on June 8th, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I love that little clock! :) You are lucky you have so much natural light in your house! Maybe I will see you at one of the June or July Seattle meet-ups? :)
Emily @ Peck Life recently posted..Portlandia

Emily @ Peck Life commented on June 8th, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Thanks Emily. I do feel very lucky to live in place with so much light (well by Seattle standards anyway). :) And definitely – I’ll be at the June meetup for sure. Hope to see you there.

papernstitch commented on June 8th, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Great pics of your apartment. My husband and I have spend the last 8 years battling out the design of our home. Finally after so much time together our tastes have come together and met in the middle!!

Kat Bouchard commented on June 8th, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I love your place! I am the color queen and super contemporary but also love things streamlined and organized. Those pictures had me chilling! Thanks for sharing!
maureen wielansky recently posted..5 Steps to Stop Hating Your Birthday Suit

maureen wielansky commented on June 8th, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Bringing it all Together http://t.co/mFtGSH8c via @sharethis

MakingitallfitMO (@makingitallfit) commented on June 8th, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Thanks Kat and Maureen. Making me smile. :)

papernstitch commented on June 8th, 2012 at 7:40 pm

love your styles and how easily they flow together. (Not always so easy when they don’t). I live it first hand – but in our current move, I’m hoping for a next evolution that meshes even better. Love how you shared the breakdown of style in that 2nd photo too!

Ellen commented on June 8th, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I’d love to see the more of your decor. Love what you showed so far.

Luckily, he loved my stuff and my style, recognized that his parent’s hand me downs didn’t cut it, and let me go to town. I’m very considerate and always give him veto power and work to incorporate colors and things he likes into the decor. So, far. So, good.

Denise commented on June 10th, 2012 at 9:55 pm