Admittedly, the bathroom is one of the rooms of every house or apartment we've lived in that is neglected when it comes to decorating. It's kind of a no-frills zone for most people, but I didn't want to abandon it completely. So I whipped up a little something to bring DIY into the least-decorated room of the house.
Here's what you'll need to make your own peekaboo soap dispenser / flower vase:
- liquid leaf in silver (or gold)
- paint brush
- old soap dispenser
- masking tape or washi tape (to create a stencil)
- scissors (for cutting the stencil)
Step by Step Instructions:
- Find an old soap dispenser that you want to makeover or buy a new one that you like the shape of. I got mine from Target and it was under $10). Wipe it clean from dust and debris and remove the pump.
- Grab your tape and start layering it (as shown in the photo below) to create a large area for your stencil. *Make sure you layer your tape onto a non-stick surface, like a table, that you can easily peel the tape from when you are ready.
- Draw any shape you want to use directly onto the tape to use as a guide. I went with a circle, but any other shape works just as well.
- Peel your layered tape away from the non-stick surface and cut out the shape. This is now your stencil - the area that you do not want paint to go.
- Stick your stencil onto the surface of your soap dispenser and make sure it is really secure. Push the entire surface down a few times to make sure that no paint goes underneath the stencil area.
- Now it's time to paint. I used a small brush and did two coats. If you are using a larger brush or a sponge brush (which would probably be the best so there are no brush strokes) it will take less time. The silver leaf doesn't take long to try to the touch.
- Once you've painted at least two coats and allowed the paint to fully dry, remove the tape carefully and touch up any areas as needed. Optional: Top coat of sealant.
And that's it! Now all you have to do is decide if you want to use your newly revamped dispenser for soap or flowers!
And here are a couple more photos of the finished pieces. I love that this doubles as a vase (of course you'd have to make sure there is no soap in it first)...
Which version is your favorite? The vase or the soap dispenser?
Let me know in the comments below.
Join the 14 million people who have already joined the Clean Hands campaign by using Kleenex Hand Towels, and click here for savings and more!
Disclaimer: I was selected for participation in this campaign as a member of Clever Girls Collective and was compensated by the advertiser. All opinions and ideas, however, are my own.