11/14/12
18 comments 5 Minute DIY: Painted Arrow Salad Servers by   |   18 comments

I have a couple of last minute Thanksgiving-related projects I’m trying to finish up before next week and as I get them done, I’ll share ‘em here in case you want to recreate one on your own. The first of the projects will only take 5 minutes (not including drying time). So let’s start with that one…

I found these really cool salad servers at Target (from The Curiosity Shoppe – only $10 online) and immediately put them in my cart. I’m not a big salad tong kind of girl, but for some reason I felt like I had to have these. Plus, we’re having a couple of people over our house this year for Turkey Day, so why not do it up?

I painted each arrow’s fletching (or ‘feather’) for a pop of color amongst the sea of browns and tans with turkey, potatoes, and stuffing galore on Thanksgiving. Here’s how I did it…

Supplies: paint brush, acrylic paint, acrylic sealant or matte medium, sand paper

How-To: Very lightly sand the area so your paint has something to stick to. Wipe away debris and go straight into painting. You can use a primer if you want to, but it’s not really necessary in this case. I painted three layers for each color and used a sporadic color pattern. Seal the paint with an acrylic sealer or matte medium and you are ready to use. Hand wash only.

Do you have any Thanksgiving-related projects you are working on right now? I’d love to know what you have cooking for the 22nd.

Concept, styling and photography by Brittni Mehlhoff for papernstitch.

18 comments to 5 Minute DIY: Painted Arrow Salad Servers Click here to reply

oh cute! those look awesome painted.

andrea nicole commented on November 14th, 2012 at 11:13 am

Thanks Andrea Nicole.

papernstitch commented on November 14th, 2012 at 11:18 am

I’m not a salad tong girl either but those are too stinkin cute! Makes me want to have people over for Thanksgiving… except we both know I don’t really mean that. I think I’d have a heart attack cooking for people…

Caroline Winegeart commented on November 14th, 2012 at 11:36 am

I think I am going to have a (small) heart attack cooking this year, but I’m kind of excited about it at the same time. Thanks for stopping by Caroline.

papernstitch commented on November 14th, 2012 at 11:53 am

These are adorable!

Larissa commented on November 14th, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Very cute RT “@papernstitch: Have 5 minutes? Then you can totally do this mini #diy http://t.co/Y1cxy8Mc just add paint”

Rainbowsouffle (@Rainbowsouffle) commented on November 14th, 2012 at 1:37 pm

This is too, too cute! Such a great way to transform something we use so frequently!

Aleah and Nick commented on November 14th, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Thank you Larissa.

papernstitch commented on November 14th, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Very pretty salad servers! I also can’t help but notice your unbearably cute salad bowl. I’ve never seen anything like it!

Best,
Melody of From Scratch

Melody recently posted..Bless this House: Color Palette

Melody commented on November 14th, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Thanks Melody. It’s one of my favorite bowls (from Marimekko). Here’s the link: http://usstore.marimekko.com/home-decor/large-siirtolapuutarha-bowl-3.asp

papernstitch commented on November 14th, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Such a great personal touch! You could dress up the servers any occasion. I really love the arrow design on them too!

As for Thanksgiving projects… I’m just working on planning the menu right now. Bring on the turkey coma ;)
Erica recently posted..DIY: Wedding Keepsake Hanger

Erica commented on November 14th, 2012 at 5:05 pm

RT @papernstitch: Have 5 minutes? Then you can totally do this mini #diy http://t.co/cZw2jUbS just add paint

(@AndreeaAyers) (@AndreeaAyers) commented on November 15th, 2012 at 3:21 am

Yes! I definitely see a turkey coma in my future Erica. :) Thanks for stopping by.

papernstitch commented on November 15th, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Love the bold colors!

Yelle commented on November 18th, 2012 at 3:54 pm

LOVE these!! I featured them today on my blog:)

Sarah @ Just The Bee's Knees commented on March 13th, 2013 at 3:13 pm

[...] Painted Arrow Utensils [SOURCE] [...]

7 Awesome DIY Crafts | OMG Cute Things commented on May 23rd, 2013 at 3:00 am

[...] IKEA Hack: Vases Dipped in House Paint via Livet Hemma DIY Painted Arrow Salad Servers via Paper & Stitch Neon-Dipped Succulent Teacher Gifts [...]

Thursdays with Handmade Charlotte: DIY Projects for Outdoor Spaces | Paint Me Plaid commented on May 23rd, 2013 at 11:32 am

[...] Painted Arrow Utensils [SOURCE] [...]