11/27/12
17 comments Secrets to Success: Rule #5 by   |   17 comments

It’s not always easy to start a business, build a blog readership, or quit your desk job to pursue your hand sewn line of women’s clothing full-time. In fact, it’s almost always quite challenging at times. So, I started a series that tells it like it is…the good, the bad, and the completely ‘Girl, I can’t believe you went there.” Secrets to success that have been learned along the way. Today, Tiffany will pick up where we left off last time…

This contributor post was written by Tiffany (Moore) Han.

One of the difficult things to grasp is that in order to be successful as an entrepreneur, you have to be a little bit insane.

Let me back up and start with a story.

Back in the day, I worked at a non-profit in San Francisco. I was making a decent salary, I had been recently promoted, and I was holding my ground in what could be a potentially lucrative career helping people in the world live better lives.

I also had to, at times, go out to the parking lot and lay down in my car because of the chest pains I was having due to stress. At 27.

Newsflash: if the stress of your job leads you to wonder if you’re having a heart attack and you can’t decide if you should reallyreally go to the hospital or if it’s just momentary anxiety, you’re doing the wrong kind of work.

Maybe-heart attacks at 27 are no good. Neither is the feeling that sitting at your desk is a slow crawl to death. That slow-crawl-to-death feeling is always a bad sign. (Life lesson. You’re welcome.)

Coupled with the growing anxiety and poor health (I was an epic insomniac, due to the stress, which wreaked havoc on the other non-work parts of my life), I also knew that this path wasn’t for me. I knew that I wanted to do something bigger, something creative, something big-dreamy-life.

And even though I didn’t know what that something was, I quit my job. Not only did I quit the job, I also decided to let go of the MBA that I was just about to start working towards.

Essentially, I did exactly what any “career expert” would tell someone to do.

I did the crazy thing…which brings me straight into success secret #5:

It’s okay to feel like you’re crazy when you’re on your entrepreneurial journey. The crazy faith will serve you well. So well.

When you are in business for yourself, there will be times when people look at you like you’re crazy. In fact, there might be times when people actually say to you, “Are you crazy?”

The best answer: Why, yes, I might just be.

Own it, Love. That crazy will be your momentum. It will be your enthusiasm. It will be, quite often, the only thing that keeps you going as you work towards your dream business.

PS. My new big crazy dream: to not only meet Oprah one day, but to be the next Oprah. That’s right, y’all. I’m saying it out loud. You think I’m crazy? Thank you.

image credit: Brittni Mehlhoff for papernstitch

Tiffany (Moore) Han, CPCC is a life & business coach for highly-creative people who aren’t living the highly-creative lives they want. Just yet. With provocative questions & hard-edged encouragement, Tiffany helps skittish someday-ers become fiercely focused creators — and proves that dreams do come true. But only when you demand it.

17 comments to Secrets to Success: Rule #5 Click here to reply

RT @papernstitch: Secrets to Success: Rule #5: It’s not always easy to start a business, build a blog… http://t.co/Ld8XoFUt

(@GraciouSunshine) (@GraciouSunshine) commented on November 27th, 2012 at 11:20 am

o such a grt read “@papernstitch: Secrets to Success: Rule #5: It’s not always easy to start a business, build a blog… http://t.co/xMzoN5ow

This was an amazing read.. it so honest and so raw… I identified with practically all of it… I know that “slow crawl to death”" cubicle feeling…I used to joke and say I was going to start “Cubicles Anonymous” . .lol…for others who felt like me… Thank you for sharing your story…

Meagan commented on November 27th, 2012 at 11:24 am

Aha, dus gek zijn is goed! “@papernstitch: Secrets to Success: Rule #5: It’s not easy to start a business or blog http://t.co/DnM35bi0”

Ecolicious - Maaike (@Ecolicious_blog) commented on November 27th, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I love the term “crazyfaith” and, yeah, “that crazy will be your momentum.” Yum.

Go, Tiffany. Preach! :)

Deb commented on November 27th, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Thanks for the wise words from @papernstitch http://t.co/25LmiSpW http://t.co/NNEbx6Ve

(@atlasandelia) (@atlasandelia) commented on November 27th, 2012 at 12:39 pm

This series is awesome! And it’s good to read that I’m not the only one feeling crazy. Thanks for sharing!
Featheringtodo recently posted..Pepernoten bakken (recipe for spice nuts)

Featheringtodo commented on November 27th, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Featheringtodo recently posted..Pepernoten bakken (recipe for spice nuts)

Featheringtodo commented on November 27th, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Beka Buckley (@speckledlime) commented on November 27th, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Secrets to Success: Rule Number 5. Do people think you’re crazy? http://t.co/I7HuqKy7 http://t.co/Y53cQyU4

(@IndieMade) (@IndieMade) commented on November 27th, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I love the honesty…I guess I just can’t figure out how to let go. I know I’m in the crawl toward death stage, I know I’m unhappy, and I know it’s affecting my health. Gez. You’d think that would be enough. But I guess I just can’t figure out how I’d support myself? How I’d be ok if I just let all this go and went to pursue that greener grass on the other side? How were you able to make that leap? How did you get started once you did?

Lauren commented on November 27th, 2012 at 3:13 pm

That’s really the expression of what I had in mine in those days…
I post it on my blog, thanks! ;)
Ale recently posted..Pochette for Portuguese Girl

Ale commented on November 28th, 2012 at 10:33 am

It is very reassuring to hear that crazy is good as sometimes I panick a little that I’ve been utterly ridiculous! Last Christmas I had that ‘I can’t do this anymore’ moment and gave notice at work to put my silversmithing skills to good use. I’m still in the early days of getting myself ‘out there’ and there’s a long way to go, but crazy faith is going to keep me going. Thank you.

Gemma
Gemma Atwell recently posted..One Stop Dec Shop!

Gemma Atwell commented on November 28th, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Great Post! I feel crazy and slightly insane about 99% of the time. The people that love me have learned to roll with it! It’s so true though, you have to be crazy enough to take those leaps of faith to succeed! http://www.ruffhouseart.com

Ruff House Art commented on November 28th, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Brittni will confirm JUST how crazy I am. I love this post and I can’t wait for you to be the next Oprah. :)
Melanie recently posted..5 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Saying Yes

Melanie commented on November 29th, 2012 at 1:41 pm

This is really a big truth. Even after having an overwhelming feeling of not going towards what my father wanted me to do, even after all the money and time (4yrs.) spent on Electrical Engineering studies….. i felt like I am in the wrong direction. So I switched towards the track where my heart was and finally now, I am happy with whatever I am doing and whoever I am. I am HAPPY!!
Shilpa Nair recently posted..The Toughs

Shilpa Nair commented on December 3rd, 2012 at 10:49 am

[...] that I don’t know how to do? Wouldn’t that be crazy? (Y’all KNOW I love the crazyfaith [...]

The Power of The Yes | Paper & Stitch commented on February 19th, 2013 at 11:00 am