01/08/13
16 comments Secrets of Success: Rule #8 by   |   16 comments

It’s not always easy to start a business, build a blog readership, or quit your desk job to pursue your hand sewn line of women’s clothing full-time. In fact, it’s almost always quite challenging at times. So, I started a series that tells it like it is…the good, the bad, and the completely ‘Girl, I can’t believe you went there.” Secrets to success that have been learned along the way. Today, Tiffany will pick up where we left off last time…

This contributor post was written by Tiffany Han.

Kenny Rogers said it best “You’ve got to know when to hold ‘em and know when to fold ‘em.”

In 2009, I was an aspiring artist and coach who had grand ideas. I had a vision for a space – a space where I could create beautiful work, run my creative business, but also where I could bring people together under a common goal – the goal of doing soul work, the work that makes you come alive. The work that we all seek out at conferences, retreats, classes, and on blogs.

I had a vision and 2 friends had the same vision. We thought, “Wouldn’t it be great if we had a space that could contain not only our creative businesses, but also bring women together for the sake of creativity. We could all work together. OMG it would be brilliant.”

Thus, Teahouse Studio was born.

We opened our doors in March 2011, and last month, we announced that we are closing our doors in March 2013.

Cue Success (and card-playing) Secret #8:

You’ve got to know the difference between what’s a good idea and what you really want for your life. You’ve got to know when to keep trying, keep moving forward, keep voraciously never-giving-up on what you want and when to say “I did my best” and move along.

Knowing the difference isn’t always easy. You might go through a pushing phase before you get to the “I did my best” part. You might let something go and walk away only to come back to the idea a few months, years even, with a renewed interest and different perspective.

For me, with Teahouse, I realized that, while I am so proud of what we’d built and whose lives we’d touched, I also realized that I wanted more for my life and my business. Running this workshop space was holding me back from moving into bigger, grander plans (Hi, Oprah! Wanna chat?). I knew that I was destined for greater things.

Has it been scary to let go? Yes.
Do I have doubts all the time about moving forward, into the unknown? Absolutely.

Yet, despite the fears and the doubts and the omg-what-is-going-to-happens, I also know that letting go is going to create space for me, my empty shelf, for new and exciting goodness to rush in. Stay tuned, y’all, cause it might just be epic.

Your turn: what are YOU hanging on to that you could walk away. What burdens could you let go of to make space for bigger, brighter things in your life? (It is possible to do this, I promise.)

image above found here via Ez (original source unknown)

Tiffany Han, CPCC is a life & business coach for highly-creative people who aren’t living the highly-creative lives they want. Just yet. With provocative questions & hard-edged encouragement, Tiffany helps skittish someday-ers become fiercely focused creators — and proves that dreams do come true. But only when you demand it.

This entry is filed under , , .
16 comments to Secrets of Success: Rule #8 Click here to reply

ooooooh, this is exactly what’s been going on in my head… I’m an engineer. So incredibly thankful for having a great job. However, all I do is daydream of starting my own crafty business. Thankyou for this post!

AMW commented on January 8th, 2013 at 11:53 am

The hardest part is knowing when to give up and let go. Thanks for this post it was very encouraging.
Tanya recently posted..The Best WordPress Anti-Spam Plugins for 2012-2013

Tanya commented on January 8th, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Are you thinking of letting go of certain things to make room for bigger and better opportunities?? http://t.co/w6TCH7cm

(@IndieMade) (@IndieMade) commented on January 8th, 2013 at 6:25 pm

(@papernstitch) (@papernstitch) commented on January 8th, 2013 at 7:39 pm

RT @papernstitch: secrets to success (rule #8) “You’ve got to know when to hold ‘em and know when to fold ‘em.” http://t.co/Rjz819iH

♡aMeymarie♡ (@DEGGSTARx) commented on January 8th, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Hi Tiffany, great article. It looks like your link to Tea House Art Studio forgot its “http://”, so the link is not currently working.

Brandon commented on January 8th, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Thanks Brandon. I fixed it. :)

papernstitch commented on January 8th, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Great stuff as always, @thetiffanyhan! Life is so much better with you and your wisdom in it :) http://t.co/5rSAmfLG

Janelle Miller (@JanelleRMiller) commented on January 8th, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Thanks for the advice! :)
Great article!!

xx

Andie commented on January 9th, 2013 at 7:17 am

This is such a big point that needs to be brought up more often. It’s especially important to see when the future of a project is flagging, so you can stop when you’re still proud of the work. There’s a saying that ‘true friendship ends with a smile.’

Another thing to keep in mind: most successful businesses have ‘failed’ a business before finding their true project/dream. I think fail is a strong word, but whether you’re ending a project because of lack of passion or lack of funds, just know that there’s more cool stuff to come. Just keep going. ;)
Anna Simmonds recently posted..Midweek inspiration: what I’m reading

Anna Simmonds commented on January 9th, 2013 at 8:12 am

A morning read with a cup of coffee :) Secrets of Success: Rule #8 http://t.co/OhPJMV8E via @sharethis

Chrystalle Omaga (@SmileChrystalle) commented on January 9th, 2013 at 11:18 am

Teahouse seemed like such a beautiful, sweet thing, and I’m wistful that I wasn’t able to visit. But I so totally get that even beautiful things can hold you back. And that it’s hard to let go, even when it’s right. And also: it had its time, and that time is over. Now to make way for Oprah…
Kylie recently posted..itty bitty adventures: the event of a thread

Kylie commented on January 9th, 2013 at 8:52 pm

RT @thetiffanyhan: New post up on @papernstitch where I talk about the end of @teahousestudio http://t.co/bXRMRjwT This one felt really good to write, y’all.

(@papernstitch) (@papernstitch) commented on January 9th, 2013 at 9:44 pm

.@thetiffanyhan has a new post up on @papernstitch where she talks about the end of @teahousestudio http://t.co/7K5XVdXV

(@teahousestudio) (@teahousestudio) commented on January 9th, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Goodbye @teahousestudio, hello @Oprah. http://t.co/NXXukOFX

Tiffany Han (@thetiffanyhan) commented on January 10th, 2013 at 11:40 am

[...] went there.” Secrets to success that have been learned along the way. Today, Tiffany will pick up where we left off last [...]

Secrets of Success Rule #9 | papernstitch commented on February 5th, 2013 at 11:01 am