The Power of Taking a Break

Take a Break

This contributor post was written by Tiffany Han.

When was the last time you took a day off?

I’m not talking about a day off where you only check your email a few times throughout, or where you go somewhere and try to stay present but keep checking in on your phone justincase.

I’m not talking about a day off where you managed to do it all! by entertaining your kids at the zoo, making dinner for friends, and fitting in a (super quick!) skype call during naptime.

I’m not talking about that vacation you took where you forgot to tell all of your clients that you’d be away and thus had to log computer time every day to stay ahead.

I’m talking about a real break, a screens-off, lounge around decadent kind of day off. When was the last time you had one of those?

Sometimes, in running a business, you have to hustle. And you have to multitask, and you have to be constantly connected. Because you’re trying to create something. And it’s all on you.

But you don’t have to be that way all of the time. You get to take a break. You don’t need anyone’s permission (but here it is, just in case!). You don’t even need to let anyone know.

You can simply answer the emails tomorrow.

And it can really be that simple.

Challenge: Schedule a screen-free day off sometime this month. Let us know in the comments when you plan to do it! (I’ve got mine planned for Thursday.)

Tiffany Han, CPCC is a coach for highly-creative people who want to wake up happy. If you’re feeling the growing pains of running your creative business and are ready to STOP spinning your wheels and actually get stuff done, her blog is sure to light your fire.

Last night, I watched a whole movie with my wife — no knitting, no blogging, no photo editing…no screens of any kind (except for the one we were watching, of course). It was luxurious.
Hannah recently posted..hers + mine: summer style

Hannah | August 6th, 2013 at 8:13 am

It’s so true!
Working for yourself can mean you rarely get time out, but I agree, it’s so essential. Letting your mind wander, going places you wouldn’t normally and enjoying others company is too important not to do. Also, you just never know what might inspire you when you’re not looking too hard x

Jo Chambers | August 6th, 2013 at 8:13 am

Definitely Jo! I always get my best ideas when I’m out on a walk or taking a break. When I’m away from the computer (and my phone), inspiration comes more easily, strangely enough.

papernstitch | August 6th, 2013 at 9:00 am

I would taking breaks is as important as the times we’re working our butts off. I technically just came back from a 3 week vacation, but I’m guilty of still checking my email constantly!

juni // hej juni | August 6th, 2013 at 9:16 am

I am fortunate to live on a lake with my studio not far from shore so downtime is luxurious and can be taken as often as I like. Without it I can get cranky and impatient. Especially late in the evening when I take the boat out and glide over the quiet surface, the only thing to do is savor the moment. My mind quiets, too. Thanks, lake!
Donna recently posted..Creative Evolution

Donna | August 6th, 2013 at 9:22 am

Wow. Sounds amazing Donna!

papernstitch | August 6th, 2013 at 9:31 am

I haven’t taken a “screen-free” day off in a long time. I’m currently between jobs and struggling to figure things out, so I find myself tethered to my laptop!
Jan recently posted..Cherry bourbon ice cream

Jan | August 6th, 2013 at 9:49 am

oh man, I desperately NEED a day like that! But….but….gah! There’s SO much to do!!
Nicole Underwood recently posted..Art Inspiration Day

Nicole Underwood | August 6th, 2013 at 10:10 am

I haven’t had enough of those lately! I need to fit one in soon, for sure!

-Becca
Becca recently posted..Creole-Spiced Pickled Okra

Becca | August 6th, 2013 at 10:55 am

Glad to hear this post is resonating with you ladies. Love reading through the comments on Tiffany’s posts.

papernstitch | August 6th, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I haven’t done this in a long time, since we’re just getting our business started. It’s FB, Pinterest, e-mails, or online research constantly. I’m also a student, and this is finals week. So, I declare that Monday will be “no screens day”!
Jennifer Bierds recently posted..Lookin’ Good: Cute & Casual Vacation

Jennifer Bierds | August 6th, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I love this idea!! Like you, I believe in balance! If you’re going to have super productive and successful days, you also need relaxed-i’m-going-to-sit-on-the-couch-or-in-my-bed days as well!

Thank you for sharing!!

xo, B
BKCsquared
B recently posted..Loving This Quote

B | August 6th, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Thanks for the permission, I totally feel guilty when I do take a day! But then remember how much more productive I am after I do.
-Maggie

Maggie | August 6th, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Thanks for such an encouraging post…and a great reminder! Sometimes I feel like the best thing to do is “power through” something… but I think it’s imperative to take breaks and prevent burn out. Plus, the best stuff seems to happen after that… 🙂
Molly recently posted..YOUR STORY: Kathleen from Braid Creative

Molly | August 6th, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I couldn’t agree with this post more! Taking time off is so important and we so easily forget it. Last week I took a day off. I did not check email once! I did whatever I felt like and it was great. The next day back at work I was much more present and energized as a result. I will definitely try to do this more often in the future.

Brooke | August 6th, 2013 at 9:18 pm

I uuuuusually try to schedule my “off-time” at least one day on the weekends, but sometimes…….it doesn’t happen 🙂 Thank you for sharing this post and reminding us how important it is to take this time away from work and give ourselves a break. Seriously…this weekend…break-time! Great post!
Jessica recently posted..Party planning: Sweet treats

Jessica | August 6th, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I really needed to read this, I’m trying to get a small business off the ground as well as work full-time. Taking a day to refresh is definitely needed and so important.
Charlotte recently posted..DIY- hand-drawn fabric

Charlotte | August 7th, 2013 at 3:29 am

I keep telling myself I really need to do this. I will be on Cape Cod this weekend with friends, and I hope I can force myself to do it. (It helps that I likely will not have cell phone service!)
Bev @ Linkouture recently posted..How would you like a preview of something new at Linkouture? Yeah, you would!

Bev @ Linkouture | August 7th, 2013 at 9:57 am

So true – we are slaves to these devices.
We all need a break sometimes!
Paper Acrobat recently posted..Water

Paper Acrobat | August 7th, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Wednesdays are my wireless days. I chill all day and do absolutely nothing. It is really helpful to shut it all down and really relax. Thanks for the post!

Rae Ramses | August 8th, 2013 at 3:39 am

[…] This week Tiffany Han guestposted over at Paper & Stitch and dared you to realize The Power of Taking a Break. […]

Link Hype 8-9-13 | August 9th, 2013 at 10:01 am

[…] blog reads is called Paper & Stitch and this week she had a guest blogger write about “The Power of Taking a Break” and the importance of scheduling in and planning for “Screen Free” […]

Lesson Learned: Valuing Down Time with Screen Free Days | thevedahouse | August 9th, 2013 at 11:04 am

[…] Image via Paper & Stitch […]

{Words to live by} | August 11th, 2013 at 2:46 am

[…] week, Tiffany wrote a post here that you may have read, called The Power of Taking a Break. This particular post couldn’t have come at a better time for lots of you who responded in […]

Ain’t Nobody Got Time for That | Paper & Stitch | August 13th, 2013 at 8:00 am

Funny – recharging my batteries has been on my mind a lot lately. I just realized that i haven’t taken a weekday off in a loooong while. But! I make a point of having REAL weekends. No working, no laptop – we go outside, take a trip, go for a boat ride…it’s been a great summer!
Kerry recently posted..Recharging…

Kerry | August 14th, 2013 at 9:51 am

[…] I definitely need a timeout after the century + Summit week. Plus, the power of taking a break. […]

Reading List | Savvy Eats | September 10th, 2013 at 8:02 am