10/01/13
29 comments 5 Truths That Will Make Running your Biz (and your Life) Infinitely Easier by   |   29 comments

5 things that will make running your business easier

This contributor post was written by Tiffany Han.

1. Some people on the internet are full of sh*t.

A website (even a beautiful one!) does not make someone an authority on your business (or your life!). There is an endless number of experts on the internet, all trying to get your attention and give you their best tips. It’s up to you to know who to trust and who to listen to. Let everyone else go.

Better yet, start with listening to and trusting yourself. Helpful information is not hard to find. It will be there when you need it.

2. You only need to pay attention to what YOU are doing.

It’s been said before: keeping your eyes on your own paper is the best way to move your business forward. You don’t need to collect inspiration anymore. You need to move. And act. And create. (Stop stockpiling inspiration and get to work.)

3. Your creative genius is not found in your gmail inbox or on facebook or someone else’s blog.

Creative businesses stem from creation. Not social media. If you’re feeling uninspired or having a hard time staying focused, step away from the computer and make something! With your hands! (I don’t think Excel was created to help inspire.) Tip: Need to get some stuff done? Make it your priority and tackle it first thing in the morning, before you turn on your computer (or check your smartphone!).

4. The success of your business does not determine the success of your life.

Likewise, the success of your life is not determined by any of the success of any of the following: your diet, your marriage, your job search, your online dating hunt, your marathon training, or that scarf you started knitting 9 months ago.

Trust this. You are more than your business. When things don’t sell or go as you’d hoped, it’s okay. Keep going.

5. Fear is a reality of playing a bigger game. As is doubt.

Learning to accept this, roll with it, and not let it stop you is one of the biggest game-changers you can make. Yes, fear feels really intense. Yes, it’s hard to move beyond it. But figuring out how is what makes the difference between people who make things happen and people who only dream about it.

Which camp do you want to be in?

Tiffany Han, CPCC is a coach for highly-creative people who want to wake up happy. If you’re feeling the growing pains of running your creative business and are ready to STOP spinning your wheels and actually get stuff done, her Good Morning Glitterbomb daily inspiration emails  are sure to light your fire.

This entry is filed under , .
29 comments to 5 Truths That Will Make Running your Biz (and your Life) Infinitely Easier Click here to reply

“Stop stockpiling inspiration and get to work.”
Thanks for this – I needed to read that. A very well-written and honest list!

Lindsey Hinkle commented on October 1st, 2013 at 9:05 am

THANK YOU for writing this down and share it with the world… you absolutely nailed it!!!!

Sofia commented on October 1st, 2013 at 9:17 am

Thank you Tiffany for that incredible valuable advise!

Nadine

Nadine of IaK commented on October 1st, 2013 at 9:17 am

As someone who jumps around from dream to dream and has a hard time finding my direction, I needed this. No matter what direction I go, I know I want businesses and to create. Sometimes fear and doubt wrangle me in and I accept that I’m not good enough since plan x didn’t work out. Thank you for this. Wish I had that quote before.
caroline [the diy nurse] recently posted..cape may, nj

caroline [the diy nurse] commented on October 1st, 2013 at 10:27 am

These are such great tips! Thank you for sharing them! I particularly have to pay attention to the getting things done first thing in the morning one. It’s a well known (to me) fact that if I get up and have a lazy morning, nothing will get done. If I get up and start doing dishes or something, though, I’ll likely have a super productive day!

-Becca
Ladyface Blog
Becca recently posted..Fennel Panna Cotta with Spiced Pears

Becca commented on October 1st, 2013 at 10:38 am

-”When things don’t sell or go as you’d hoped, it’s okay. Keep going.”
That’s what I need to do. Thanks for that!

Tabby commented on October 1st, 2013 at 11:46 am

Thank you for the great advice. There are a lot of things that I don’t want to do with my blog that other bloggers do such as having a ton of sponsors, giveaways, or guest posts. Thanks for reminding me to trust my gut!
Quyen recently posted..beach camping in san clemente

Quyen commented on October 1st, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Fabulous!!!! I loved 1. & 2. but they are all relative!! Great post and very well written. Will def have to share. x
Nicki Traikos recently posted..My Top 3 Takeaways from BlogPodium and an iPhone Freebie!

Nicki Traikos commented on October 1st, 2013 at 12:49 pm

So true! I always try to follow my own ideas and carry on and – most of all – go with the flow. Some things have worked out (my first book will be published this week), some things didn’t (My Etsy shop is nearly dead). I keep in mind that I have a decent & fun job (editor/designer) and enough time to do the things I love (paint, crochet, blog, etc). But sometimes when I see other designers/artists/bloggers being super successful (and making a living out of it) it’s hard to value my own successes… So thank you so much for your advise!

Lisette commented on October 1st, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Very helpful and motivational. Thanks for sharing!

Chloe commented on October 1st, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I totally needed to hear #3
Angela recently posted..A much needed break from work

Angela commented on October 1st, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I need to take some cues from you on this list and put them in action.

Jenn commented on October 1st, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Truth! x5! ♡♡♡♡♡! Thanks *so* much for this genius post.
lisaekström recently posted..printable flourished hand-calligraphy XOXO card pdf handmade – love – xoxoxoxox… by lillastudio

lisaekström commented on October 1st, 2013 at 5:08 pm

This is really great insight! Thank you for sharing these tips that can be used not only in business but in life in general! Sound reality check.
Mackenzie recently posted..Lust List Vol. 1

Mackenzie commented on October 1st, 2013 at 6:30 pm

amazing. i really needed to read this. thanks for this encouraging post.

kara cox commented on October 2nd, 2013 at 12:03 am

Best. Reminders. Ever. Thank you!!! This should be a poster in my office.
Kerry recently posted..Tuesday Talk :: Farewell Paperie

Kerry commented on October 2nd, 2013 at 9:44 am

This is such a great post. Some things that one might not actually think about too often, but is good to think about and definitely creates a perspective. I love the poster idea!
Kanweienea Kreations recently posted..How to Care for your Beach Stone Necklace from Kanweienea Kreations

Kanweienea Kreations commented on October 2nd, 2013 at 10:13 am

As usual, Tiffany nailed it! Love these inspirational biz posts. “Some people on the internet are full of sh*t”. Amen!

Casey commented on October 2nd, 2013 at 1:52 pm

I am a dreamer & a stockpiler – transitioning myself into a doer and a faucet in my creative biz. Posts like this are so encouraging – and help me to focus on following what I already know I can & should do! #5 in particular – fear – is a toughie. Usually, the thing that is terrifying is exactly what I should try!
Thanks Tiffany & Brittni!

Jennifer commented on October 2nd, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Thanks, Tiffany, for putting into words what my gut already told me but my inner procrastinator was silencing! I have got to reprioritize my day and start doing instead of just thinking about it.
Jennifer recently posted..The Most Awesome Sewing Revelation Yet!

Jennifer commented on October 2nd, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I heart this post so hard. <3
Abbey recently posted..Update and Upcoming Changes

Abbey commented on October 3rd, 2013 at 1:22 pm

[…]  5 truths that will make running your business (and your life) easier […]

Essential Reading: Articles and Posts for Fun – Campfire Chic commented on October 4th, 2013 at 8:18 am

This is exactly what I needed today..In the works of creating my own blog presently, I always struggle with #2 and end up worried that someone made a post on an idea I’ve had in my “mind’s stockpile” so to say.. Thank you for such an inspirational post!

**& I’m off to make something :)

Jess commented on October 9th, 2013 at 12:50 am

[…] 5 Truths That Will Make Running your Biz (and your Life) Infinitely Easier by Paper n Stitch […]

Weekend Finds (Reading, Cooking, Inspiration, DIY) - Sunshine Inspired Designs commented on October 16th, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Ah exactly what I needed to read today – feeling much better now!
Tammy recently posted..WELCOME: THE BEGINNING

Tammy commented on October 18th, 2013 at 10:32 am

[…] my last post 5 Truths that will Make Running your Biz (and your Life) Infinitely Easier (check it out if you haven’t already, it’s good stuff ifIdosaysomyself), I mentioned […]

My Secret Formula for Getting Things Done & Avoiding Internet Distractions | Paper & Stitch commented on October 22nd, 2013 at 8:00 am

Thank you so much for these tips! I find them inspiring and comforting.

I’ve been wanting to start my own business for a long time and I’ve just recently taken the first few steps of making it real. It’s a scary time as I struggle with a fluctuating confidence. Your last truth about fear and doubt really resonate with me. It’s nice to know that those uncomfortable feelings are a right of passage when trying to self propel.

Thanks!

BuffaloBritty recently posted..Wedding Project: Reception Tags.

BuffaloBritty commented on November 7th, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I am so printing this out!! This is exactly the point where I am right now. #2 and #3 especially.
Thanks!
Anneri recently posted..Favorites from Week 1: Live More Weigh Less challenge with Sarah Jenks

Anneri commented on November 8th, 2013 at 3:38 am

I just want to say THANK YOU :)
I thought it’s only me, but I see there are more of us ;)

swiejko commented on November 22nd, 2013 at 6:50 pm