10/08/13
11 comments How Sharing your Story can Help Grow your Biz by   |   11 comments

share-your-story

Today, my friend Melanie Biehle of Inward facing Girl is popping in to share a little somethin’ somethin’ for this week’s small biz inspiration. When I lived in Seattle, we would meet up for coffee every other week(ish) to talk about our goals for the future and just kind of support each other. It always left me feeling inspired and more ready to take on the world (or at least the day). So today Mel is here to bring you a little bit of that coffee chatter inspiration. Take it away Melanie…

In our connected world it’s easier than ever for artists, designers, and crafters to sell their work. Being willing to share stories about yourself and your creative journey will help your online shop rise above the competition.

Here are some guidelines that I’ve used to blend business with personal stories in ways that were comfortable to me.

People connect with the imperfect.

My blog came before my business, so if you want to see imperfect there’s four years of stories to choose from! I started Inward Facing Girl with no intention of it growing into the way I earn my living, but I’m still sharing my imperfections.

People want to be part of inspirational journeys.

My biggest turning point came when I decided to leave my full-time job in pediatric behavioral research to be a blogger/marketing consultant/creativity coach. Ever since that life-changing day I’ve given my audience updates on where my creative path has taken me and they’ve come along every step of the way.

People love to be entertained.

I’m always finding cool stuff that inspires me and I want to share it with everyone. This led me to create the column You’re My Obsession. The things I choose to share inspires conversations on Twitter and Facebook, and it’s been a great way to interact with and grow my community.

Ready to get started?

• Share some of the things that you’ve learned along your creative path. Your customers will get to know you and you’ll have a chance to help new creatives as they struggle to find their place.
  • Put yourself and your goals out there. It’s amazing how supportive others can be if you’re willing to share your creative dreams with them.
  • Share the things that inspire you. It’s a great way to meet like-minded people who will often love your work.

If you want more tips, sign up for Share Your Story, Sell Your Work!

Do you have an inspirational or imperfect story that shaped you into the creative person you’ve become? I’d love to hear about it in the comments section.

Melanie BiehleMelanie Biehle is a writer, creativity coach, and branding and marketing consultant. She has a Master’s degree in psychology and 15 years of marketing, writing, and research experience. You can learn more about her at Inward Facing Girl.

This entry is filed under , , , .
11 comments to How Sharing your Story can Help Grow your Biz Click here to reply

Such great tips! Also, I didn’t know you used to live in Seattle! Seattle is the best :)

-Becca
Ladyface Blog
Becca recently posted..Pumpkin Carving!

Becca commented on October 8th, 2013 at 10:25 am

This is great advice. I need to get better at talking about my struggles as well as the victories. Thanks for sharing the tip.

Jodie @JBMaryn commented on October 8th, 2013 at 11:00 am

Lovely tips! I’ve allowed myself to share more of my story and it’s help personalize my brand and have people understand who the girl is behind the blog.
Angel Y. recently posted..This or That: Deconstructed Food

Angel Y. commented on October 8th, 2013 at 2:03 pm

Really really great tips!! Thank you for the inspiration and it is great meeting you, Melanie!
Jessica (Coco/Mingo) recently posted..Sweet succulents!

Jessica (Coco/Mingo) commented on October 8th, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I’m so glad you guys found this helpful! Nice to meet all of you. :)
Melanie recently posted..Name Your Priorities

Melanie commented on October 8th, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I can very tangibly attest to this. I’ve been creating and selling artwork for years – always doing pretty well, adding extra money to our income, but not supporting our family by any means. I started sharing my story on my blog – stories of behind my work, the message or meaning behind each piece, the methods, and my own very personal stories. The growth, rewards and support has far more than doubled.

I’m still learning how to share my story effectivly and beautifully, and I’m excited to watch my business develop along with it.

Emily Jeffords commented on October 8th, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Emily, thanks for sharing your story here. Love your paintings. :)
Melanie recently posted..Art Museum Family Time

Melanie commented on October 9th, 2013 at 2:53 pm

Great tips, thanks for sharing. I couldn’t agree more. Getting personal, especially if you’re a business of some sort, helps to put a face to the product. People are tired of buying from the nameless faceless corporations, they want to feel more connected and involved. I love sharing my processes, whether they are a success or failure, who knows someone might learn from my mistakes as well as my good!

Michelle commented on October 12th, 2013 at 8:43 am

[…] How Sharing your Story can Help Grow your Biz by Paper & Stitch […]

Weekend finds - Sunshine Inspired Designs commented on October 21st, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Melanie,
This was interesting for me to read. I am an interior designer and I recently began blogging. I did not want it to be just another design blog posting a bunch of pretty pictures. I nervously set out to write posts about my life as a designer and the sometimes not so pretty side of design that can be downright humorous. I wanted people to get to know me and what makes me tick because after all isn’t it me the person they would be hiring, not just a design picked randomly from the Internet? It has been amazing the people I have connected with online and I hope to build from there.

Janeane

Janeane Pittman commented on December 8th, 2013 at 1:27 am

Exactly, Janeane! People are hiring you for much more than your skills. It’s about the experience of working with YOU.
Melanie recently posted..How Keeping a Journal Can Help You