10/22/13
22 comments My Secret Formula for Getting Things Done & Avoiding Internet Distractions by   |   22 comments

a quick guide to avoiding internet distractions

This contributor post was written by Tiffany Han.

Raise your hand if you have a massive to do list that you’re avoiding by reading this article? (You are not alone. I promise.)

In my last post 5 Truths that will Make Running your Biz (and your Life) Infinitely Easier (check it out if you haven’t already, it’s good stuff ifIdosaysomyself), I mentioned that staying off social media and away from internet distractions can be huge to increasing your daily productivity.

Today, I wanted to share with you my secret formula for getting things done and avoiding internet distractions.

The Pomodoro Technique + AntiSocial + Music = Getting Things Done

The Pomodoro Technique is a productivity technique based on research that shows that our brains focus best in 25-minute increments. Utilizing this, you work for 25-minute bursts, then allow yourself a 5-minute break. This has been huge for me.

Next up is AntiSocial, the program I use to block myself from social media and email when necessary. You tell this program how long you want to concentrate, and it blocks certain sites (as dictated by you) for that time period. The only way to unblock the sites is to either wait it out or restart your computer. And if you’re anything like me, the massive number of windows and tabs you have open at any given time makes restarting your computer not worth the hassle.

And the final piece of the puzzle is music. I’ve created 25-ish minute long Productivity Playlists that complement the Pomodoro Technique perfectly. It’s like musical chairs for your brain – hit go on AntiSocial, start your playlist of choice, and focus until the music stops.

And then grab a glass of champagne to celebrate how much you were able to accomplish in such a short amount of time. *Clink*

Your turn – what are your favorite ways to beat the lure of internet distractions?

You may know Tiffany Han, CPCC as a life and business coach, but really she helps highly-creative women wake up happy and have more fun. Every single day.  She’s been called the Mary Poppins of creative businesses and a professional Yoda by her clients. If you’re feeling the growing pains of running your creative business and are ready to STOP spinning your wheels and actually get stuff done, her Good Morning Glitterbomb daily inspiration emails  are sure to light your fire.

22 comments to My Secret Formula for Getting Things Done & Avoiding Internet Distractions Click here to reply

I’ll try this :)

francesca commented on October 22nd, 2013 at 11:37 am

Brilliant idea about the 25 minute playlists! x
Emma recently posted..Review: Fabric Flowers

Emma commented on October 22nd, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I am terrible at this! Especially when I’m researching something fashion related for work or my blog – everything’s a distraction!! I’ll definitely try the playlist though! A friend once said I should make a recording of my voice on my phone and set an alarm every 20 minutes when I’m on the internet. It would say something like “Stop shopping and get back to work” :D

Jenna x

Jenna commented on October 22nd, 2013 at 6:13 pm

So interesting!! It’s weird but before I started my blog, I was pretty anti-social media! I never interacted on my personal fb account, never had Instagram, or twitter! But now, I can’t seem to get away from any of it! I’ll need to try these tips out – thanks for this, Tiffany!!
Jessica (Coco/Mingo) recently posted..Guest posts: Sustainability and Autumn pastels

Jessica (Coco/Mingo) commented on October 22nd, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I agree with Jessica–I was rarely on social media pre-blogging, but now I’m on there all the time. For “business” reasons. ;) I like the idea of the 25 minute increments–I will try it out!
Marlene recently posted..Ikea Hack: Pendant to Planter

Marlene commented on October 22nd, 2013 at 7:51 pm

thanks for the tips, I did not know about the Pomodoro technique ;)
emilie recently posted..Winter collection #2: Chunky !

emilie commented on October 22nd, 2013 at 9:26 pm

this is brilliant! definitely need to try this!
jools recently posted..Raising Rob – Prepare to weep and squeal.

jools commented on October 23rd, 2013 at 8:36 am

Excellent excellent excellent–and thee exact truthful reason why, I haven’t taken the time to complete a post in a long while: too many distractions! There’s always going to be, I needed this formula to learn how to allow those distractions their 5 minutes too :D
Thank You, Always a worthy read here!
Jeanine recently posted..One Link Friday?

Jeanine commented on October 26th, 2013 at 9:19 pm

I’m a big fan of the Pomodoro Technique. It has had a very large impact on my productivity.

Axel McCarthy commented on October 28th, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I am a huge fan of the Pomodoro technique. Love the idea of a playlist to go with it!
Bev @ Linkouture recently posted..Toil and Trouble: An Interview with Ana Campos

Bev @ Linkouture commented on October 28th, 2013 at 9:15 pm

[…] The secret formula for avoiding internet distractions. […]

Third blogiversary celebration (and Friday links!) | Bunny and Dolly commented on November 1st, 2013 at 1:06 pm

As usual, you provide helpful ideas that are easy to implement! Yay!!

Kerry commented on November 1st, 2013 at 6:00 pm

This is a great post, thank you!

Brita commented on November 6th, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I’m going to try this out tomorrow! Thanks for the tips :)

Laura // Afterglobe commented on November 6th, 2013 at 5:09 pm

THIS IS BRILLIANT!! I’m so going to try this. I often try to get things done and then think of something I really want to look at and get lost in a whirlpool of blog posts, facebook status updates, and pinterest pinning. It’s so bad!!
I’ve never heard of the Pomodoro Techinique. I’m going to try it. Maybe I’ll actually become productive! Thank you!
Nina recently posted..Dressing in Louise Bourgeois’s Les Fleurs

Nina commented on November 6th, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I am definitely going to get some use of the Anti-Social application. Dang. I should have came up with that one… that seems just so useful!

azrakun recently posted..Wednesday fashion tips…bright colored blouse

azrakun commented on November 6th, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I found this article on the Cupcakes and Cashmere blog. This is totally going to be helpful to quite a few people I know.

xo
Maggie A
LOVE MAVIN

Maggie A commented on November 7th, 2013 at 12:22 am

Nice, I am totally trying this one out. I need to stay of the internet.

Chiamaka Abasilim recently posted..BLOGGER PROFILE

Chiamaka Abasilim commented on November 7th, 2013 at 7:11 am

Definitely going to try this today!!!

Andi commented on November 7th, 2013 at 9:26 am

Btw, SelfControl is another app that’s free and functions just like the $15 AntiSocial program. Love it!

Justine commented on November 8th, 2013 at 2:08 am

[…] 3. Secret Formula for Getting Things Done & Avoiding Internet Distractions( Very useful for finals) http://www.papernstitchblog.com/2013/10/22/my-secret-formula-for-avoiding-internet-distractions/#sthash.hI0…; […]

A Cup of Links | Stripes and coffee commented on November 17th, 2013 at 4:40 pm

[…] *Raise your hand if you have a massive to do list that you’re avoiding by reading this blog post? Now go read this. […]

Fun Things To Read On A Friday commented on January 24th, 2014 at 2:30 pm