01/07/14
22 comments Full Speed Ahead by   |   22 comments

I'm coming for you 2014

Thank you all so much for the positivity and support on yesterday’s post. It still feels a little weird to have let go of something that I spent so much time on.. Going to bed last night without having to pick my daily favorites and shop of the day for the exhibition site was bizarre. I’ll get used to it though. Really looking forward to what this year will bring.

And on that note, I thought it would be good to share four words for 2014. They’re not necessarily goals as much as they are things that I’m thinking about/ focused on this year, professionally anyway. Side note: Choosing words for the new year is a lot less intimidating than creating uber specific goals, for those that haven’t jumped on that resolutions bandwagon yet. Just sayin’.

Here are my words for the year…

1. Styling. One of most positive things to come out of 2013 for me, professionally, was the realization that I really, REALLY enjoy styling. After creating nearly 100 DIYs last year, for this blog and the other sites I write for (and styling every single one of those DIYs) AND working on a handful of home makeover stories for inclusion in an upcoming book, I’ve learned a lot.

I want to get more serious this year about prop styling. And treat it as a job in itself, not just something I do to make my DIY projects look good. So I’ll be taking on freelance clients this year, for styling jobs and alike. Want to work together? Shoot me an email ( brittni@papernstitch.com ) and we can talk about it.

I’ll still be doing plenty of DIYs this year by the way – those aren’t going anywhere.

2. Workshops. Even though I’m a total introvert, I like meeting new people and teaching in some form or another is on my list for 2014. Remember I was a high school teacher way back when? Me either. That was so long ago.

And alongside workshops, I plan to host some events this year. Two of which, are already on the books so I’m off to a good start. 1) The Glimmer, Shimmer, and Shake party at Alt later this month, that I’m co-hosting 2) And a special event (that’s still kind of top secret) which involves Palm Springs. FYI: If you have any suggestions for workshops/events you’d be interesting in attended (topics or location wise), I’m listening.

3. Travel. I have three trips planned between now and April, and hope to keep adding to that list as the year goes on. Every time I travel some place new, or somewhere I haven’t been in a while, I get a burst of energy and inspiration. Breaking out of my normal routine and environment every so often really does wonders for my creativity. Do you find that to be true for you?

4. Me. So this probably sounds like a weird one, but I’m promise I’m not a self-centered freak. I just want to make things more personal around here. Sharing more of myself, getting in front of the camera a little more often, doing a better job of showing what I’m up to on Instagram, etc.

So those are my words. For now at least.

And because I shared my words with you, I was hoping that you would want to share a few words with me. What words (or word) are you focused on for 2014?

This entry is filed under , .
22 comments to Full Speed Ahead Click here to reply

I love that you picked “me” as a word..such a good priority that often gets forgotten! Wishing you all the best in 2014!
chelsea recently posted..Bravery in 2014.

chelsea commented on January 7th, 2014 at 9:34 am

Good luck with all your new goals and here’s to a wonderful 2014. x

Jessica Rose recently posted..New Year, New Me……

Jessica Rose commented on January 7th, 2014 at 9:35 am

Thanks Chelsea and Jessica! Wishing you both a great 2014 as well.

papernstitch commented on January 7th, 2014 at 9:45 am

I love ME has a word! I have this as well as a resolution! Good luck and a very happy new year to you!

Nat @ Made in Home commented on January 7th, 2014 at 9:48 am

Thanks Nat! You too.

papernstitch commented on January 7th, 2014 at 10:00 am

Last year me was my word, and being a wife and mother to three girls, not to mention also being a nurse for a profession, I was proud of myself for taking time to focus on me. I feel really good about last year. A few words for me are
1. new
2. practical
3. patience

I am jealous of your traveling. It is something I have always wanted to do.
Necole@seriouslysassymama recently posted..Cleanse Day One

Necole@seriouslysassymama commented on January 7th, 2014 at 10:24 am

Thanks for sharing your words Necole. Hope you get to travel this year. :)

papernstitch commented on January 7th, 2014 at 11:00 am

Great post! I recently learned about the new years word rather than goals from Ali Edwards. I love the idea. I am a huge goal maker, but I tend not to really make New Years goals. This word thing is perfect.

Kerrie commented on January 7th, 2014 at 11:10 am

Cool Kerrie. Yeah, I’m loving the word thing this year. Much easier to remember and accomplish. So it’s a win-win.

papernstitch commented on January 7th, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Yes girl! I love the words. And… Did I know that you used to be a high school teacher? Because so did I! Have we talked about this? We have to trade war stories someday.
Chelsea C. recently posted..DIY… Gin?

Chelsea C. commented on January 7th, 2014 at 12:23 pm

What? I don’t think we’ve talked about this…Wait, now that I think about it, you may have mentioned at brunch when I visited you and Kel, but we haven’t traded war/ horror stories yet. I know what we’ll be in SLC! :)

papernstitch commented on January 7th, 2014 at 1:37 pm

I totally agree with what you mentioned about travel– everytime I get to go to a new place I definitely get that “burst of energy” and it helps my day-to-day life become inspired so much easier!
Kayli Schattner recently posted..Buffalo Park AKA The Prettiest Hike of my Life: Flagstaff, AZ

Kayli Schattner commented on January 7th, 2014 at 1:56 pm

I think its wonderful that you are crafting your blog and lifestyle in the way you feel suits you. Congrats on the success!

Annie commented on January 7th, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Totally Kayli. Traveling is the best. And thank you Annie. :)

papernstitch commented on January 7th, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Brittni! Love this list of goals :) I’m so excited to meet you this year in Palm Springs!

Mary Costa Photography commented on January 7th, 2014 at 5:39 pm

So looking forward to meeting you in person Mary…and collaborating in Palm Springs. This is going to be a good year!

papernstitch commented on January 7th, 2014 at 8:00 pm

The things that I would like to focus more on this year are:
1. Etsy – getting my shop up and running.
2. Artwork – I want to start painting/creating again.
3. Social – I’m a bit of a hermit – I am very focused on whatever I’m doing so I tend to only socialize only when I’m seeing a client. I started signing up for classes in 2013 and met some great people. I would like to continue this in 2014.

Tracey commented on January 8th, 2014 at 10:40 am

We’re on the same exact page this year, letting go of some things to focus on blogging and cranking out quality content. I can feel the excitement for creators this year, 2013 was draining politically and socially and it feels good to leave it behind to focus on creating like crazy. And I too am going to share more ME, it’s hard because you want to hold back and make good content but seeing you and relating to you is an essential element of good branding.

My words:

Move: I vow to ride my bike 30 minutes a day 5 days a week, I already see immediate improvements in thought process/mood which is what I was aiming for!

Community: Like the lady above me I was an epic hermit this year, this year I want to start as many social projects as possible.

Make: I’m going back to my art roots this year, have an art piece, paint, and paint brushes on the floor right now. Loving being an artist again!

Innovate: I felt like I stagnated for two years, this year is all about taking everything I do to the next level.

Good luck with everything this year Brittni!
Van recently posted..What I Didn’t Buy (At The Thrifts) Wednesdays: A Warm December Morning At Revolve

Van commented on January 8th, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Love your words for the year, Van. Especially community! And thanks for sharing your words also Tracey. I hope to be a little more social this year as well. It’s easy to just stay home and work all day, instead of going outside, meeting new people, etc. But that’s definitely something I hope to work on in 2014 too.

papernstitch commented on January 8th, 2014 at 11:44 pm

I love this post Brittni. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and plans. And you definitely are the QUEEN of styling, it shows that you are passionate about it! While I haven’t been able to style every one of my posts, your Skillshare class made such a huge difference to my DIY images!

My words for this year are “growth” and “health.” I’ve been struggling with some chronic health issues for most of my life, and while I’ve always done what I can to work around them, this year I want to really work WITH them–which means prioritizing my self-care more so that the payoff is more healthy time. And hopefully that will directly result in growth! I’m doing some blog design revamping to finally get a professional look, and I want to really nail down my brand, share more content, and grow the blog itself. Hopefully I can start looking for sponsors in the next few months!
Marlene recently posted..How to Make a Totally Removable Honeycomb Wall Decal

Marlene commented on January 9th, 2014 at 9:44 pm

What a sweet comment, Marlene. Thank you! I am really glad that you’ve found the Skillshare class to be helpful. I am loving the styling that you have been doing for your DIYs lately! And on a more serious note, thank you for sharing your words for the year and a little backstory on what you’re working / dealing at the moment. Wishing you good health…and growth…in 2014.

papernstitch commented on January 10th, 2014 at 12:40 am

You do a great job at at styling! You’ll be great!
charity recently posted..Just a friday

charity commented on January 10th, 2014 at 7:05 pm