02/24/14
13 comments Make This: Vintage-Inspired Baby Shower Idea by   |   13 comments

Baby Shower DIY

Last weekend, I put together some decorations for my sister-in-law’s baby shower and I’d thought I would share just a couple of the projects with you guys. The topic of babies never comes up around here, but since this is also in the DIY category, I figured it was fair game. Not to mention, there are close to zero baby shower decorations out there that I can actually get on board with. So maybe there’s a need for a couple of ideas?

I’ll be sharing the second project on Wednesday, but the first is super simple: vintage baby shoe vases.

Vintage Baby Shoes Turned into Baby Shower Vases

DIY Baby Shower Idea

I found five or six pairs of vintage baby shoes at an antique shop by my house and I couldn’t resist. They were just so tiny and cute. And only $2 a pair! I ended up using them as decorations around the food table and a couple of other areas, as is. But you can also covert them into mini vases in a flash.

All you need is a tiny vase or container that you can fill with water (that fits inside each shoe) and a few flowers.¬†I used Lavender Cremons, Dusty Miller, and Queen Anne’s Lace.

Baby Shower DIY Centerpiece

Baby Shoe Vase Centerpiece Idea

Vintage Baby Shoes

Baby Shower Floral DIY Idea

If you don’t have a vessel that will fit inside each baby shoe, you can use flowers that are more hearty, and put them directly into the shoes the day of, skipping the vase altogether. I’d use something like mums, in that case. They usual last a good 24 to 48 hours without water.

Photography by Sarah Eddy // Concept and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff

13 comments to Make This: Vintage-Inspired Baby Shower Idea Click here to reply

Such a cute idea..;)

Jessica Rose commented on February 24th, 2014 at 9:38 am

Thanks Jessica.

papernstitch commented on February 24th, 2014 at 11:00 am

There are very few things in this world cuter than baby shoes! This is such a genius idea, B! And so much better than typical baby shower decorations!!!
Kelly @ Studio DIY recently posted..Studio DIY 2014 Reader Survey! (+ A Giveaway!)

Kelly @ Studio DIY commented on February 24th, 2014 at 11:41 am

Aw, thanks Kelly. You know my brain doesn’t really think about babies much, so this was definitely an interesting task for me. But I like how it turned out.

papernstitch commented on February 24th, 2014 at 12:06 pm

Such a sweet look!
Jenn
Jenn recently posted..Delicate Etsy Letters

Jenn commented on February 24th, 2014 at 12:42 pm

such an inspired idea – couldn’t be sweeter
Diane @ homesweethomemade recently posted..planning for a baby shower

Diane @ homesweethomemade commented on February 24th, 2014 at 2:02 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Diane and Jenn.

papernstitch commented on February 24th, 2014 at 4:06 pm

So beautiful!
chelsea recently posted..Do something amazing today.

chelsea commented on February 24th, 2014 at 7:55 pm

Love this idea. Like you, I don’t really do baby stuff, and here in England we don’t really do baby showers… Or we didn’t until recently – it’s another thing that seems to be creeping in as another import!
Can I suggest baby food jars or mini jars for holding them? Here in England we have something called Freecycle where you can advertise to get stuff for free so they’re easy to get hold of (I’m guessing its like Craigslist?)

Donna commented on February 25th, 2014 at 5:18 am

This is genius! So ‘outside of the box’ and beautiful. When my baby shower days come I’ll be contacting you. ;)

Melissa commented on February 25th, 2014 at 10:58 am

So delightful! I definitely think there are a lack of good baby shower ideas out there! LOVE this one.
Stacia recently posted..Weekly Wishes #5

Stacia commented on February 25th, 2014 at 8:42 pm

[…] baby shower, and they were so fun to whip up, I thought I would share the tutorials. The first was this miniature flower arrangement, using¬†vintage baby shoes as vases. And today is the second baby […]

Make This: DIY Paper Crown Garland Made from Recycled Book Pages | Paper & Stitch commented on February 26th, 2014 at 9:00 am

[…] turn a pair of vintage baby shoes into a vase on Paper & […]

5 DIYs to Try This Weekend | Paper & Stitch commented on March 14th, 2014 at 8:00 am