Homemade (Mixed Berry) Pop Tart Recipe

Homemade Mixed Berry Pop Tarts

There is a coffee shop right down the street from me that sells little homemade pop tarts and every time I’m in the area, I pick one up. Because who can say no to a homemade pop tart?!

BUT I’m not always in the mood to make the effort to walk down there and pick one up. Guess I’m pretty lazy. So, I figured making them at home would be the next best option. Naturally, Anissa stepped in and made some killer mixed berry pop tarts that are giving the ones I buy down the street a serious run for their money.  They kind of remind me of the ‘apple of my eye’ pies we made a while back, if you remember those. And they’re really easy to make too, as it turns out.

Want to make your own? Here’s what you’ll need to get started…

Homemade mixed berry pop tarts. Click through for the recipe.

Homemade mixed berry pop tarts

Ingredients for Pop Tarts:

• 2 boxes of pie crust
  • 2 12oz bags of mixed berry frozen OR fresh fruit
  • 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 2 teaspoons of vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon of water

*You can switch out the mixed berries for another filling, if desired.

Ingredients for Pop Tart Glaze:

• 1 cup of powdered sugar
  • 3 tablespoons of half and half
  • gel food coloring (optional)

Homemade pop tarts

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.

Once the pie crusts have thawed, roll out and create rectangles for the pop tarts. We were able to create 4 rectangles from one pie crust sheet, which meant 8 rectangles per box. You should have 16 rectangles total (or at least an even number).

Set the rectangles aside. In a medium sauce pan add the mixed berry fruit, brown sugar, sugar, vanilla, and cornstarch.

Stir until everything has combined and the mixture has thickened (about 10 minutes). Pour into a bowl and allow the filling to cool in the refrigerator for about 20 mins.

As the mixture is cooling you can make your egg wash, simply crack one egg into a bowl and add the tablespoon of water, whisk together.

Once you are ready to assemble, place 8 of the rectangles down on to the cookie sheet. Then add two spoonfulls of filling to each rectangle.

Next, place the remaining 8 rectangles on top of the fillings and, using a fork, press down around the edges to seal your pop tarts.

Before you place your pop tarts into the oven, brush the tops with the egg wash.

Next, place the pop tarts into the oven for 8 minutes. Remove and cover just the crimped edges with foil and place back into the oven for 2 more minutes, until the tops are golden brown.

Finally, remove from the oven and let them cool on a cooling rack. If desired, add a glaze (mix 1 cup of powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons of half and half, gel food coloring (optional) in bowl and add to pop tarts) and sprinkles on top. Enjoy!

Pretty simple, right?

Homemade mixed berry pop tarts. Click through for the recipe.

Homemade pop tarts. Click through for the recipe.

Homemade mixed berry pop tarts. Click through for the recipe.

Recipe by Anissa Saxton
Photography and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff

Are you a homemade pop tart fan? What kind of filling is your favorite?

This entry is filed under , , , , .

These sound amazing and are so pretty!

Xx Taylor
Taylor – Lights Camera Catwalk recently posted..Outfit | Same Silhouette, Different Color

Taylor - Lights Camera Catwalk | February 15th, 2016 at 9:10 am

Glad you like ’em Taylor.

Brittni | February 15th, 2016 at 10:00 am

These look delicious! I think I have a new breakfast coming up!

Your Own Queen
KNC recently posted..Week of 2.8 :: 7 Good Things

KNC | February 15th, 2016 at 10:45 am

Yes! Definitely KNC. :)

Brittni | February 15th, 2016 at 12:24 pm

I am a mom of 4, ranging from ages 22 to 4! These pop tarts are great, love, love this recipe! Because the truth is no one ever outgrows POPTARTS!

bilingualfunwithVic&Mia | February 15th, 2016 at 12:42 pm

Oh my yum!! this sounds and looks so good I must try it

Bella B recently posted..Happiest Colour

Bella B | February 15th, 2016 at 12:56 pm

These look so delicious that I instantly want to try one, especially with that mixed berry filling!
Michelle recently posted..Wrapped and Embellished Headphones

Michelle | February 15th, 2016 at 2:35 pm

These look yummy and sound easy to make. It would have been nice to see the steps, like putting the filling on the squares and sealing them, etc., though.

Madelin | February 15th, 2016 at 3:24 pm

OMG! Good thing we have all of the ingredients on hand because these are definitely need to be baking in the oven today! Thanks!

Trina and Tina | February 15th, 2016 at 4:52 pm

So cute and they look so yummy! Poptarts are some of my favorite things to do, homemade style! I love having fresh fruit, and the flakiness! We actually just did some Valentine’s inspired strawberry last week! But these look so delish, we might have to make them again soon!

XO,
Cortney

Cortney | February 15th, 2016 at 6:48 pm

Oh- i’ve made these with fresh jam! They are delicious, i’ll have to try out your recipe :)

Kenzie | February 15th, 2016 at 7:00 pm

Where have you been all of my life??!!??!? This is my husband’s life long dream for me to be able to make homemade pop tarts!!!! hahahahaha this makes me so freaking happy!!!!
kate garwood recently posted..Zoo Day!!

kate garwood | February 15th, 2016 at 11:56 pm

What is the glaze/icing made from? I’m not q cook so I’ll take the easy pre-made answer if there is one. I’m going to have enough problems finding this thing you call ‘parchment paper’. 😉

Carmenc | February 16th, 2016 at 8:14 am

I also would like to know what you used for your glaze.

stephanie | March 1st, 2016 at 11:06 pm

Thanks for catching that Carmen and Stephanie. I’ll edit the post to add the glaze info. But here it is… Mix 1 cup of powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons of half and half, and a tiny bit of gel food coloring (optional – if you want some color).

Brittni | March 1st, 2016 at 11:49 pm

THANK YOU FOR THESE!
Made these tonight t take to my toddler’s school tomorrow. They are amazing! I made mine a bit smaller and really crammed them with filling, lol, so they we much messier than yours. But they are so delicious! I did have trouble getting the foil on just the edges, but it worked out well!

stephanie | March 2nd, 2016 at 9:43 pm