Work, Work, Work, Work: My Work Uniform

My work uniform

Growing up, I switched between public and private schools a couple of times. And looking back, I distinctly remember being super annoyed during those times in private school when I had to wear the same exact outfit every single day. But I think it was more than just the same thing every day…

Rest assured, not only was my school outfit on repeat, it was also HIDEOUS. We’re talking keep your eyes closed because that plaid skirt doesn’t look good on anyone kind of hideous.

BUT now that I’m older, I actually really see a benefit to wearing a uniform each day. It’s one less thing to think about in the morning and it saves time getting ready. So, I started implementing a sort of work uniform for myself each day and I have to admit, I kind of love it.

Don’t get me wrong…I’m not wearing the EXACT same thing everyday like when I was in school. It’s more of a uniform guideline that I stick to than anything else. Which consists of black jeans (I have a few pairs of the same exact ones), a top (tee or blouse), and flats or boots. I change up my tops each day, so I don’t give everyone a Groundhog Day moment on the daily. And I have a few pairs of shoes that I rotate in depending on what I’m doing that day (running around a lot equals a flats day, etc). But the relaxed concept is simple enough to help shave time off of my morning routine, which is especially helpful when I’m running late.

Occasionally, I’ll get fancy and wear a skirt or a dress. But most days, I’m flying out the door trying to get to the studio on time, so it doesn’t leave much room for picking out the perfect outfit. I’m more of a jeans and a t-shirt kind of girl anyway, so it works pretty well for me.

That said, I thought I would share a few pieces that would fit into each section of my work uniform (and yours!), in case you want to give it a try. Here we go…

Tops!

Tops

Jesse Kamm block top in salt white
A.P.C. Aimy blouse
Everlane square silk shirt
Bird of Paradis blouse
Ganni YELLOW t-shirt
Space-dyed tank top

Pants!

Pants

Madewell high rise skinny jean
Lina Rennel basic pant in clay
Madewell shorewalk cover-up pants
Jesse Kamm sailor pant
Madewell chino single pleat trousers
– The Great super high rise jeans in dark smoke wash

Shoes!

Shoes

Rachel Comey mars mule in whiskey (I have these -they’re my fave!)
Madewell flats in black and nude
Obus sandals

What do you think of this idea of a work uniform? Think you’d be up for it? And what your uniform consist of?

This entry is filed under , , .

I had to wear a uniform throughout school. To me, one of the best parts of the working world is that I can wear whatever I want: pants one day, a skirt the next, then a dress with heels. So I hope I never need to have a work uniform, but all your choices look comfy and cute!

Abby | March 30th, 2016 at 9:01 am

I hear ya, Abby. It’s not for everyone. And I certainly don’t have to wear it, since I work for myself. But for now, I enjoy sticking to my guidelines. Makes things easier for me when getting ready!

Brittni | March 30th, 2016 at 9:20 am

I really like the idea of a work uniform, it can really help you to not only prepare your body for the work but your mind as well!
Michelle recently posted..DIYs I Liked This Week

Michelle | March 30th, 2016 at 9:24 am

Agreed Michelle. Glad you like it.

Brittni | March 30th, 2016 at 10:03 am

I totally like the idea of having a uniform, or an outfit combination that you use every day. It’s helped me get ready so much more quickly in the mornings. Plus, defining my everyday style has saved me so much money as well.

-Helen
Helen recently posted..Stripes and Blocked Heels

Helen | March 30th, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Totally Helen. Defining your everyday style is huge and definitely an added benefit to a uniform. Thanks for chiming in.

Brittni | March 30th, 2016 at 12:50 pm

I use to regularly try to add new things to my wardrobe that were totally different, thinking it was important for me to constantly try new things and challenge myself. Eventually, I realized it just made me feel guilty when I never ended up wearing them – I just don’t have the time or energy to deal with it in the morning! I mostly wear the same sort of things all of the time now, and I really do feel more comfortable and confident all day because of it.

Dani @ Danielle and Co. recently posted..Hide Those Cords With a DIY Sofa Table!

Dani @ Danielle and Co. | March 30th, 2016 at 12:54 pm

Well said, Dani. Completely agree.

Brittni | March 30th, 2016 at 1:08 pm

I love the idea of having a mini capsule wardrobe for work! Growing up going to private schools, I am no stranger to a uniform. However when I went to college I ditched the whole idea completely, and now that I am a working girl, I like having an idea of exactly what I am going to wear to work the next day. I find my work style very similar to yours! great post!
Sierra @ Happy Curious Life recently posted..6 Ways to Relax in Seconds

Sierra @ Happy Curious Life | March 30th, 2016 at 8:52 pm

I am way into those mules! ps. Snapchat won’t let me message you, but the cookie jar is a CAT! I have the same exact one, it was my grandmother’s…I believe she’d had it since the late 60s. At any rate, we’ve always referred to it as the “cat cookie jar” in our extended family.
Cyd recently posted..12 Healthy Breakfast Recipes to Shake Up Your Morning Routine

Cyd | March 31st, 2016 at 10:43 am

I am actually on the hunt for some new clothes and this was perfectly timed! I think I’ll be making some purchases today, thanks!
Amy | Delineate Your Dwelling recently posted..Mini Watermelon Bags

Amy | Delineate Your Dwelling | March 31st, 2016 at 12:11 pm

I totally agree!! How ironic it is to have a work uniform now when once upon a time we wished so hard to be rid of it? I do the same thing (even though I’m still in uni), it saves time from worrying about what to wear and so much simpler to match items when everything is in the same shade!
Aisyah recently posted..Food Adventure Friday

Aisyah | April 1st, 2016 at 8:05 am

Love this idea! I’ve been considering it seriously after making the choice to have more investment pieces instead of bargain pieces in my wardrobe. (I must add that I acknowledge the mega privilege that allows me to be in this situation!)
Thanks for your input– I especially love the tops and mules. Your uniform looks timeless and on-point at the same time!

Asri | April 1st, 2016 at 3:45 pm