Pillow Talk: How to Make Standard Pillowcases (in 15 Minutes) with Any Fabric

How to make standard pillowcases with any fabric in 15 minutes.

Now that our master bathroom is at a good stoping point (not finished, but it’s coming along), I’m shifting gears to the master bedroom for a little bit, with a few projects. Starting with some DIY pillowcases that are made from…wait for it…a shower curtain?!

I know it’s weird, but cool fabric is cool fabric. And when I found this shower curtain on sale for less than $20, I treated it like yardage because I loved the print.

This project is a great beginner sewing DIY and takes about 15 minutes from start to finish – not bad right?! Click through for the tutorial.

DIY pillowcases project. Click through for the tutorial.

Materials

• 1-2 yards of fabric
  • sewing machine
  • iron
  • straight pins
  • thread
  • scissors

Instructions

Quick note: The measurements below are for a standard size pillowcase. If you want to make a queen or king size pillowcase instead, the measurement will vary slightly, but the adjustments will be minor.

1. Start by cutting two identical size pieces of fabric, that are each 33.5 inches long and 21 inches wide. This will create a 20×30 inch pillowcase when finished.

2. Create a seam for the outer edges of the pillowcase by folding over the fabric 3.5 inches (on the long end – where the opening will be). Then iron down the folded part and pin it, to keep it in place. Sew the bottom edge of that fabric to itself. This will create a faux cuff, kind of similar to the look of a french seam.

3. Repeat step 2 with the second piece of fabric.

4. Then put the right sides of the two fabric pieces together, line up the cuffs that you create in steps 2 and 3. The cuffs side is the opening side of the pillow. Pin the remaining three sides together with straight pins (be sure to keep the cuffed in open) and sew a straight line around the edges of the aiming three sides of the pillowcase.

5. Flip the pillowcase right side out and it’s ready to use.

Easy tutorial for how to make standard pillowcases with any fabric.

DIY pillowcases, using literally any fabric (including yardage from a fabric shower curtain)

White bedroom with a pop of pattern

DIY pillowcases idea

And regarding the other pillows in the final shots, in case you want a source… those are a buy, not DIY. The grid print is under $30 for a set of 2, available on Spring. And the white quilted shams are from Parachute (available in 5 colors). Let me know if you have any other questions about bedroom stuff.

What do you think of this DIY pillowcase project? Think it’d be easy enough to tackle at home?

This entry is filed under , , , , , .

Where did you find the shower curtain?? <3

Shelby | April 13th, 2017 at 10:12 am

Hi Shelby. The shower curtain is from Urban Outfitters, but it’s no longer available online. I bought it in store for 50% off. Here’s what it looks like as a shower curtain though, to give you an idea: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/259801472232990681/

Brittni | April 13th, 2017 at 10:15 am

These are lovely and so simple! Reminds me of how much I could make if I actually got around to buying a sewing machine

– Natalie
Natalie Harney recently posted..What is Design Thinking and How Do You Do It?

Natalie Harney | April 13th, 2017 at 10:17 am

Thanks Natalie. Yes – definitely is nice to have a sewing machine for these types of projects. You could probably do a no sew version though, using fabric fuse tape or adhesive like this: http://rstyle.me/n/ckk6gemvmw

Brittni | April 13th, 2017 at 11:00 am

Wow, it’s that easy? Now I have to try it!
Michelle recently posted..Tips | App Review: Stylebook

Michelle | April 13th, 2017 at 12:25 pm

Definitely Michelle. And let me know how it goes, if you do give this a try. It’s super straightforward.

Brittni | April 13th, 2017 at 12:33 pm

Wow, that shower curtain was such a find! The pattern looks like it was always meant to be a pillowcase
Cat recently posted..Poached Egg Asparagus Toast with Shaved Parmesan

Cat | April 13th, 2017 at 1:24 pm

Completely agree that the fabric was meant to be a pillowcase, Cat. So glad I found it.

Brittni | April 13th, 2017 at 1:35 pm

Cool beans!!

Gemma

Gemma | April 13th, 2017 at 2:21 pm

After searching for the perfect pillowcases/bedding I finally decided I should just DIY some because there are so many great fabric options. Thanks for sharing such a great tutorial Brittni!

Sarah | April 13th, 2017 at 5:50 pm

[…] Pillow Talk: How to Make Standard Pillowcases (in 15 minutes) with Any Fabric, by Paper & Stitch […]

Tutorial: Sew a standard pillowcase in 15 minutes – Sewing | April 13th, 2017 at 5:55 pm

My sewing classrs taught me another way and it takes more than 15. We prewash fabrics, iron and line up the edges, french seams, etc. Yours seem so easy. I think I like both ways. My expensive pillow cases always seem distorted after was, but mine stays exactly as made.

Kim Francique-Diep | April 14th, 2017 at 1:55 am

[…] Make your own pillow cases in 15 […]

Friday Links - The Crafted Life | April 14th, 2017 at 3:40 am

I love this! x

Grae | April 14th, 2017 at 6:45 am

You’re right that fabric is awesome! x

Claire | Heart Handmade UK | April 14th, 2017 at 8:40 am

Thank you for sharing this simple pillowcase! I always make matching pillows for the quilts that I make – including an extra one to use as a storage bag for the quilt.
I’ve been doing “French” seams along the three sides, shades of my mother’s formal tailoring style. However, reading & thinking abt yr tutorial — I think I’m going simple seams from now on !! Although I probably will still zig zag edges to keep any ravelling tendencies encased.
Thank you again for a bery simple and usable pattern!

RR | April 22nd, 2017 at 3:58 am

I love that pattern! It would go really well with my couch! LOL

Kayleigh | April 24th, 2017 at 6:21 pm

[…] used leftover fabric from the DIY pillowcases, and ended up having just enough fabric to finish the apron. Click through for the […]

Sew Easy: How to Sew an Apron in 10 Minutes - Paper and Stitch | June 1st, 2017 at 8:03 am

This is SOOOO easy! Thank you for the tutorial! I’m on the hunt for a great shower curtain NOW!

Teresa Sole | June 3rd, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Brittni this is fantastic! Bookmarking:)

Anna Liesemeyer | June 5th, 2017 at 9:53 pm