Posts Tagged ‘hair’
If we've ever met in person, chances are you've seen me with my hair in a bun. Admittedly, it's been my go-to hairdo for WAY too long. So, to kick off a new series of easy hair tutorials, I thought I would start with something slightly outside of my comfort zone: an easy reverse crown braid.
Ironically, there is still a bun involved in this do, but it's hardly visible, so it doesn't count if you ask me.
Side note: I've recreated this reverse crown braid on my own twice since we shot it for this post. So, I think its safe to say I'm into it. Which probably has something to do with the fact that it's really, really easy (my favorite kind of up do). If you know how to braid (completely normal braids - nothing fancy), you can do this in about 15 minutes!
1. Start with curled or wavy hair for texture. Section hair into three sections and braid each loosely.
2. Sprinkle each braid with texture powder (we like Sexy Hair Volumizing Texture Powder) and spread each braid apart so that they are loose and slightly messy.
3. Twist the middle braid and pin into a low, loose bun.
4. Cross each side section over the back bun section and pin. Finish with hairspray if needed.
I've discovered that this is one of those hairstyles that will look good on pretty much anyone (your hair will need to be at least a little past your shoulders in length though) AND doesn't look like you're trying to hard. Which I'm always partial to.
Photography and hair by Rachel Brewer
Styling and modeling by Brittni Mehlhoff
Today, I'm wearing a sweater around the house, so it must be fall. Right?
The official start to the fall season is less than a week away and I've been getting ready for it with fall hats, fall bags, and now fall hair! I rounded up some of my favorite on-trend hair tutorials for fall that you recreate at home!
1. (above) A deep side part slick back. Via Hello Fashion. This one is my fave!
2. Wavy fall hair with a flat iron. Via Camille Styles.
3. A messy, asymmetrical take on a french twist. Via Twist Me Pretty.
4. Moto chic with a braided faux mohawk. Via Twist Me Pretty.
5. And a low profile pony with metallic accessories. From Treasures and Travels.
Which fall hair trend is your favorite? Think you'll give one of these options a try this season?
About a month and a half ago, I cut off nearly ten inches of my hair and basically freaked out. I was getting tired of the long hair that I had literally ALWAYS had (except for that one time in seventh grade that I've pretty much blocked out of memory), so I cut it off on a total whim. Probably wouldn't recommend doing that again.
But now that the panic has worn off, and it's starting to grow out (ever so slightly), I'm coming around to it. The main thumbs up is the fact that it takes way less time to wash my hair and/or get tangles out, but there are some days that it looks good with a hat. So I can't complain.
Anyway, this post isn't a PSA about how you should never cut off that many inches of hair on a whim. Although, I do wholeheartedly believe that to be true. Because now that I don't have crazy cat lady length hair, I can actually try some fun hair tutorials. I started a board for my faves and thought I'd share some of my top
knot notch picks today. Just in case you're as into hair tutorials as I have been as of late.
Here are 7 hair tutorials I'm really loving lately...
1. (above) the perfect messy top knot from Camille Styles
2. 3 easy hair part tutorials from Cup of Jo
3. front row braid tutorial from Barefoot Blonde
4. fishtail top knot tutorial from Studio DIY
5. how to style a low bun from A Beautiful Mess
6. topsy half do from Say Yes
7. braided crown tutorial from Tessa Ray Anne
How do you like to do your hair during the hot summer months? Do you go with braids, buns, or neither?