Oh My! Let’s Eat Pie. An Easy 5 Ingredient Blueberry Hand Pie Recipe for Fall

Mini Message Blueberry Hand Pies Recipe

Now that fall is officially starting, I thought it was about time for a pie DIY. I had some extra blueberries leftover from this popsicle project, so I was able to use the rest of them in this super easy mini message hand pie project.

These pies are really easy to make and only have a handful of ingredients (5 to be exact). Perfect for stress-free fall entertaining.

Want to make your own batch? Here’s how…

Recipe // Mini Message Blueberry Hand Pies

Ingredients: pre-made pie dough (or make your own if you prefer) // 3 cups of blueberries // 2 tablespoons of honey // 1/2 cup of sugar (less if you prefer the filling more tart) // 1-2 tablespoons of butter (optional)

Materials Needed: large spoon // knife // fork // alphabet cookie cutters (like these) // baking sheet

How To:

1. Start by smashing roughly 1/2 of the blueberries roughly with a flat spoon or mortar and pestle. Add them to a bowl and mix in the remainder of the blueberries, sugar, and honey. Stir. You’ll notice that there isn’t any flour or lemon in this recipe. I wanted to make something super easy, without a ton of ingredients. So after a little experimenting, this is what I came up with. It’s a little lighter than a typical pie filling, which I love.

2. Next, roll out your pie dough, and cut the dough into various shapes and sizes, freehand. These will become your hand pies, so make sure for every shape you create, you have another one to match it. So you have a top and bottom piece.

3. Next, using cookie cutters, create your message.

4. Add pie filling in the center of the bottom piece of pie dough. Then add your top piece of sought, that has the cookie cutter message on it.

5. Pinch all of the sides together, then use a fork to create a decorative border all the way around each hand pie and create a more secure seal. Add a small amount of butter to the top of each hand pie and place onto a baking sheet.

6. Bake for 9-12 minutes at 350 or until golden brown. Let cool and enjoy.

Mini Blueberry Hand Pies (Limited Ingredient Recipe)

5 Ingredient Blueberry Hand Pies

Recipe // 5 Ingredient Blueberry Hand Pies for Fall

5 Ingredient Blueberry Hand Pies with Message Cut Outs

Concept, photography, and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff

When the holidays roll around, I suspect I’ll be making a whole lot of these little guys. Just switch out the fruit and you’re good to go.

Think you’ll whip up a batch of these blueberry hand pies for fall?

How fun! This DIY is heavily reminding me of Alice in Wonderland. I feel a need to create a pie coming on.
Flick recently posted..Oh You Pretty Pins

Flick | September 22nd, 2014 at 8:20 am

Awesome, Flick. You should definitely make some of these. They’re delicious.

Brittni | September 22nd, 2014 at 8:30 am

How cool…..such a simple and great idea..

Jessica Rose | September 22nd, 2014 at 8:32 am

Thanks Jessica.

Brittni | September 22nd, 2014 at 8:40 am

Mmm!

Autumn Hope | September 22nd, 2014 at 8:52 am

The mini cutters are sooooo cute! And these pies look delish. Can’t wait to give them a try in my new kitchen (I haven’t baked anything in it yet)!

Alex
Alexandra Pettinato recently posted..LIFE + HOME: Settling In

Alexandra Pettinato | September 22nd, 2014 at 11:09 am

Such fun!

Ujjaini recently posted..White-on-White Nail Art Tutorial

Ujjaini | September 22nd, 2014 at 11:20 am

So cute! I love your little letter cookie cutters! These look so easy and tasty! Also, the photos came out super cute!

Best,
Annie
The Mama Gazette

Annie | September 22nd, 2014 at 11:44 am

Love those little pie cutters! I’ll definitely be making these, maybe with apples:)
Daisy @ Simplicity Relished recently posted..Juicing 101

Daisy @ Simplicity Relished | September 22nd, 2014 at 1:05 pm

these little handholdable options are brilliant! a really great alternative to having to dirty plates serving slices of pie out of a tin. thanks for sharing!

love, arielle
a simple elegance
arielle recently posted..WEEKEND EXPLOITS || LIKE OLD FRIENDS

arielle | September 22nd, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Wow these are the cutest pie I’ve ever seen. I’d love to make them soon. Thanks for the inspiration! xo akiko
Style Imported
akiko recently posted..vegan carrot cake

akiko | September 22nd, 2014 at 2:39 pm

I really, really love this idea! As much as I love summer, I’m really excited about fall because it means that I can bake again. I can’t wait to try out this recipe.

-Helen

Helen Grace recently posted..Lost In A Maze

Helen Grace | September 22nd, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Those cookie cutters are so adorable, I’ve never seen them before! This is such a great idea for a fun and whimsical snack!
Tomiko recently posted..Toronto Eats: Kekou Gelato

Tomiko | September 22nd, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Well that looks totes yumz. And I crave blueberries. WHAT a coinkadink. Jus’ saying. 😉

But yeah – I’ll be all school busy and working and what, and probably not make them.
So maybe I’ll just dream of them.
And try to not be so lazy.
Gianna recently posted..To Make a Thing

Gianna | September 22nd, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Did you use frozen or fresh blueberries? As they are going out of season I’m hoping frozen would work. Thanks for a great simple recipe.

DarnHeather | September 24th, 2014 at 10:32 am

I used fresh ones, but I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to use frozen blueberries instead.

Brittni | September 24th, 2014 at 7:06 pm

[…] – Message Hand Pie Recipe – Cutest way to pass the message! […]

Aaand it’s Friday! | Calamity Cloe | September 26th, 2014 at 11:12 am

Yes! I will make this and the blueberry popsicles so me and my family can have a blueberry flavoured night! I think they are delicious and these recipes sound so good. Hehe, thanks for sharing!

Olivia recently posted..Perspective – Dead Poets Society 3/5

Olivia | October 4th, 2014 at 4:59 am

My BFF Rachel and I tried making these. We had limited success. I think the type of pie dough you use is crucial. Did you use pre-made? We used Alice Water’s recipe for pie/tart dough. It seemed too thin to really hold up to the filling. Also, how did you create identically cut random pieces – any tips? Thanks!

Jamie | October 6th, 2014 at 7:00 am

Hi Jamie. Yep – I used store bought, pre-made pie crust and had no trouble with the thickness. To cut pieces that are the same size, I would cut one with a knife and then place that cut piece over the pie crust to trace another piece that was the same exact size. Worked really well. Hope that helps! But if you have any other questions, let me know and I’m happy to answer.

Brittni | October 6th, 2014 at 11:01 am

Sounds delicious, can’t wait to try these out!
Shehla recently posted..Pro Decorating Tips From An Interior Designer

Shehla | October 6th, 2014 at 4:45 pm

The one problem I had with using the frozen blueberries was there was a lot of excess liquid. Next time I make them I will be sure to let them thaw longer and drain the mixture often. Other than a tad soggy, they were very good!

Erin | October 22nd, 2014 at 9:09 pm

[…] 9. Mini message hand pies from Paper & Stitch […]

9 Fall Desserts That You’ll Want to Eat Year Round | Paper and Stitch | November 10th, 2014 at 10:04 am