Easter DIY: A Simple Trick for Getting More Unique Colors from a Standard Egg Dyeing Kit

Easter DIY // Use this simple trick to get more unique colors from a standard egg dyeing kit.

This weekend, I went all out on Easter. Lots of egg decorating.

Starting with a super simple project that mimics the look of natural egg dying with store bought dye. I love the accessibility of those inexpensive ($2 or $3) egg kits you can buy at the grocery store this time of year. But I’m not a huge fan of the super bright, bold colors, for the most part. A little too kiddish for me, I guess.

So, I came up with a way to use those store kits in a way that feels a little more grown up, color wise, with one simple change. Use brown eggs instead of white. Pretty simple, right?

To get more subtle looking eggs colors like these, all you need are 1 dozen brown eggs, one standard dyeing kit like this, and some vinegar. I just followed the directions on the packaging (let the tablet dissolve in 1 tablespoon of vinegar, then add 1/2 cup of room temperature water, before dipping eggs). The longer you leave the eggs in, the deeper the color will get. Blue was my favorite, but the dye will work with other colors on brown eggs as well.

The lightest eggs in the photos, were only in the dye bath for 30-60 seconds. The more vibrant eggs were in a bit longer than that. And the deep colored eggs were in for 3-5 minutes.

I love all of the imperfections that come through with this technique. The dye tends to be a little less even, the dots on the eggs show through, etc. Which I actually prefer over completely perfect looking eggs. What about you?

A Simple Trick for Getting More Unique Colors When Egg Dyeing

A Simple Trick for Getting More Unique Colors When Egg Dyeing

Concept, photography, and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff

Once dry, you can keep them plain, or do some additional decorating….doodle with permanent marker, create artist portraits with pastels, go for a more painterly look, graffiti it up, etc.

Are you doing any egg dyeing this year? What do you think of these as an option?

I love this. We use brown eggs for everyday. Just yesterday I told my daughter we’d try dying them this year, because maybe they’d be cool! Well, I see here that the will be! Thanks for posting, I’m inspired!

kelley | March 23rd, 2015 at 10:38 am

Oh, awesome Kelley! I think you’ll love ’em.

Brittni | March 23rd, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Great! I live in the UK now, where it’s nigh on impossible to get white eggs (apart from duck eggs) and am always sad that I don’t get to dye eggs at Easter. (It’s also a bit tricky to get dying kits or else I probably would’ve tried it out before now.) So thank you for the inspiration to finally do some dying this year!

Jennifer | March 23rd, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Oh, awesome! I hadn’t even thought about how white eggs might not be available in other countries, but I’m glad that this little hack is brown egg friendly. 🙂 Also, if you have any trouble finding dye kits, you can use food coloring, water, and vinegar instead. Hope that helps! Best of luck!

Brittni | March 23rd, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Brown egg shells look good with green and blue dye but horrible with yellow and orange and pink. It’s very hard to find white eggs where I live but some backyard growers have them…it’s always a struggle to get enough. One year I gave up and painted foam eggs with acrylic…not quite as earthy but a lot easier.

jan dash | March 23rd, 2015 at 8:51 pm

I LIKE those. I think I will spatter them with brownish paint via a toothbrush so they look like Easterly robins’ eggs!

Heidi | March 24th, 2015 at 1:29 am

Love these colors B! Never thought about dyeing brown eggs. Who knew!?
Kelly @ Studio DIY recently posted..DIY Bunny Ear Ice Cream Cones

Kelly @ Studio DIY | March 24th, 2015 at 2:13 am

These are so cool, love the idea, thanks for the inspiration. Love your blog by the way. Check out my Things I’ve Made page! 🙂 xoxo Heidie http://www.theinspirationmagazine.com

Heidie | March 24th, 2015 at 2:57 am

Thanks for advice how to get different colors!

I usually use brown eggs for everyday and for coloring too, I love to do it in “Latvian”. Just Google Latvian Easter and you will find a lot of beautiful Easter eggs.

Elina | March 24th, 2015 at 5:32 am

Um. This is so simple and yet so clever. It’s funny how the best solutions are often the simplest!
Kait recently posted..Capsule Wardrobes + Why Unfancy Is My New Favourite Blog

Kait | March 28th, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Love this idea, great blog post 🙂

ISOSCELLΔ | April 4th, 2015 at 2:35 pm