Oh Faux You Didn’t: Faux Dip Dyed DIY Pillows in Pantone’s Colors of the Year

Faux Dip Dyed DIY Pillows in Pantone's Colors of the Year

Recently, I worked on a little project for Mollie Makes magazine’s newest issue, to create a set of faux dip dyed pillows inspired by Pantone’s colors of the year (serenity and rose quartz). And the issue is now out (issue 64 – page 16), so I thought I would share the project with you, along with a couple of outtakes that didn’t make the mag.

This DIY was a fun one, but a little different than most of my dyeing projects. Because unlike my typically dyeing DIYs, this one is faux. So, there’s no dye bath, gloves, or bucket!

Check out issue 64 of Mollie Makes magazine for the full tutorial and more specific materials list (including the exact color combo of paints I used to achieve Pantone’s colors of the year).

Behind the scenes at Paper & Stitch for Mollie Makes Magazine

Faux Dip Dyed DIY Pillows in Pantone's Colors of the Year

Faux Dip Dyed DIY Pillows in Pantone's Colors of the Year

Faux Dip Dyed DIY Pillows in Pantone's Colors of the Year

Photography by Amelia Tatnall (except for my phone photo of Amelia on the ladder) 🙂
DIY and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff

Think you’ll give this DIY a try? And more importantly…what other DIY home projects would you love to see around here? I’d love to hear your suggestions.

I will definitely give this technique a try- especially since I’ll be within spitting distance of an Ikea this weekend, which is unusual for me! I’m not a big fan of the colors of the year, though, so I will likely be trying other colors. But thanks for sharing!
Emily recently posted..Lotion Potion

Emily | March 8th, 2016 at 9:45 am

Awesome Emily. Curious to know what colors you’d try instead? Would love to hear your suggestions.

Brittni | March 8th, 2016 at 10:20 am

I love these simple DIYs. They make great Sunday projects and add a personal touch to a home! Will be trying this out for my little office “make over”. May I ask where that tribal-esque print blanket is from?

x Ilia from http://www.iliascupoftea.com
Ilia Mura recently posted..A Little Stripe Never Killed Nobody

Ilia Mura | March 8th, 2016 at 10:23 am

Awesome Ilia. The blanket was a white elephant gift from my sister-in-law a couple of Christmases ago (so I’m not sure where it’s from). But if I find out, I’ll definitely let you know.

Brittni | March 8th, 2016 at 10:30 am

This seems so much easier than actual dip-dye projects! Great idea! Also, love the picture of you taking a picture – behind the scenes sneak peeks are my favorite 🙂
Dani @ Danielle and Co. recently posted..5 Ways to Get Your Watercolor On

Dani @ Danielle and Co. | March 8th, 2016 at 10:53 am

Thanks Dani! That’s actually Amelia on the ladder (I took the picture). But glad you like the behind the scenes.

Brittni | March 8th, 2016 at 10:56 am

Wow, I love the colours and the gradients, and I like that you used a different technique this time!
Michelle recently posted..Hanging Plant Pockets