Sometimes the easiest tutorials are the ones that end up being the best. And I wholeheartedly believe that, when it comes to hair tutorials especially, the easier the better.
So, today I have a simple ponytail DIY for you to try, with a twist. It will only take a few minutes to recreate, AND doesn’t require a rubber band or hair tie. All you’ll need are 2 bobby pins and a teeny tiny bit of felt. Interested?
Here’s what you’ll need to get the look…
- small sheet of felt (at least 1/8 inch thick, if possible)
- 2 bobby pins
- texturing spray
1. Starting with the felt hair accessory… To make the felt pony wrap, grab a sheet of felt, and cut a long strip from the sheet that is roughly a half inch wide and 7 inches long. I just eye balled it. This doesn’t have to be perfect. Then grab two bobby pins and set them aside.
2. Now for the hair, start with naturally dried or straight hair and prep with your choice of texturizing product. We used a texturizing spray.
3. Lightly tease hair all over excluding the areas closest to your face.
4. With your narrow piece of felt, from step 1, start underneath where you want your ponytail to rest and wrap the felt around your hair twice and secure underneath with two bobby-pins (through the underside of the felt and into the ponytail). If the felt pony wrap is higher than you would like you can pull it slowly down and it will help to give your ponytail an “undone” look.
5. Finish by lightly teasing the pony to give it a more full appearance.
I am constantly losing hair ties / rubber bands. And I mean constantly. It’s like the mystery sock that magically disappears from the dryer over and over again.
So, I’ve been using this felt wrap twist a lot lately for low ponys. It’s so, so easy and surprisingly stays pretty damn secure with just a couple of bobby pins.
Think you’ll give this felt ponytail wrap a try? Would love to hear what you think of this DIY hair idea.