It’s been a while since the last pop tart recipe, so I figured it was time for another. This time, the approach is a little more decadent and I am definitely not mad at it….especially considering we tossed in a little bourbon for good measure. Because what’s a pop tart recipe without drunken twist, right? Haha.
Meet your new fall / winter weekend snack…drunken s’more pop tarts (chocolate and caramel bourbon inside with a marshmallow glaze outside). Yum, yum, yum! Click through for the recipe.
Ingredients for Chocolate Caramel Bourbon Pop Tarts
- 2 boxes of pie crust
- 2 Hershey Chocolate bars
- 2 cups of caramel sauce either store bought or homemade
- 1 tablespoon of bourbon
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of water
Ingredients for Pop Tart Marshmallow Glaze
- 1/4 cup of powdered sugar
- 2 heaping cups of marshmallows (roughly 20 regular sized marshmallows)
- ¼ cup of whole milk
How to Make Chocolate Caramel Bourbon Pop Tarts
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
2. Once the pie crusts have thawed, roll out and create rectangles for the pop tarts. We were able to create 4 rectangles from one pie crust sheet – 8 rectangles per box. You should have 16 rectangles total (or at least an even number). Set the rectangles aside.
3. Next, create your bourbon caramel sauce. Just add 1 tablespoon of bourbon to your two cups of caramel sauce and stir. You can make it stronger if you would like or omit it completely. Totally optional.
4. Once you are ready to assemble, place 8 of the rectangles down onto the cookie sheet. Then add 4 chocolate bar rectangles and top with a tablespoon of caramel sauce.
5. Next, place the remaining 8 rectangles on top of the filling and, using a fork, press down around the edges to seal your pop tarts. After your pop tarts are assembled, make your egg wash, simply crack one egg into a bowl and add the tablespoon of water, whisk together.
6. Brush the tops with the egg wash before you place the pop tarts into the oven. Pop tarts should be in the oven for roughly 8 minutes.
7. Remove and cover just the crimped edges with foil and place back into the oven for 2 more minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Finally, remove from the oven and let them cool on a cooling rack.
8. While the pop tarts are baking you can make the glaze… In a medium-size microwavable bowl, mix milk and marshmallows together and microwave for about 30 seconds. Stir the mixture until smooth. If the marshmallows aren’t completely melted, place the bowl back in the microwave for 15 second intervals until the marshmallows are have melted.
9. Next, stir in the powdered sugar and mix until combined. Set aside.
10. Once the pop tarts are done pour the glaze over and sprinkle with chocolate shavings. Enjoy.
What do you think of this flavor combo? What other spiked pop tart flavors do you think would be good?