04/17/13
14 comments Make This: Paper Napkin Scallop Garland by   |   14 comments

make a scallop garland with paper napkins for spring

I was at Target the other day (surprise) and I saw these really awesome paper napkins in the party section. I remembered reading this post from Jordan Ferney about how the best time to buy napkins is when you see ‘em because when you’re actually looking for party supplies you may not find what you want. With that in mind, I threw a few different patterns in my cart and when I got home, I came up with a couple ways to use these pattern-y paper products for something other than parties. The first of those ideas is what I’m sharing today. Here’s how I made a scallop party garland using paper napkins in about 10 minutes…

Materials: paper napkins // scissors // string or twine // glue stick

*Note about materials: It’s better to use a glue stick than any other type of glue for this particular DIY because the napkins are fragile and will get crinkly and yucky if you use a regular bottle of glue.

How to make it: Cut out scallop or half circle shapes on napkins that have been folded in half. Unfold to show more of a circle shape. Cover the circle with glue from your glue stick. Lay the string for the garland right where the crease in the circle is, fold it back over the string and press down lightly. Repeat the process over and over again until you’ve reached your desired length. Wait for it to dry and you are ready to hang your garland for your next party (Cinco de Mayo is right around the corner). You can use this as a wall art piece too, like I did, if you aren’t planning a party anytime soon.

paper-napkin-garland-how-to

And here’s how the finished project turned out..

how_to_make_easy_garland_diy

Like I mentioned before, it was a pretty speedy process. This could definitely be completed last minute, before guests arrive for a get-together. AND if you have paper napkins with a great pattern on them at home already, you won’t even have to leave the house to get supplies. What do you think? Is this something you might try?

Concept, photography, and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff for Paper & Stitch

This entry is filed under , , , , , , , .
14 comments to Make This: Paper Napkin Scallop Garland Click here to reply

Make This: Paper Napkin Scallop Garland | Paper & Stitch http://t.co/stxOs3TNuK

@EtsyBlogs commented on April 17th, 2013 at 10:10 am

@1948liz Thanks Liz. Just put the finished piece up on the blog this morning http://t.co/U4axG8evI3

Brittni Mehlhoff (@papernstitch) commented on April 17th, 2013 at 10:26 am

RT @papernstitch: Had some fun w/ paper napkins the other day. Sounds weird, I know. More pics of my DIY here http://t.co/U4axG8evI3 http://t.co/geiD6WR1FP

@nasica_J commented on April 17th, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Oh you KNOW I love this, you crafty lady, you!
Kelly @ Studio DIY recently posted..A DIY Wedding Series with POPSUGAR Girl’s Guide!

Kelly @ Studio DIY commented on April 17th, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Oh yes, I KNOW you do. :)

papernstitch commented on April 17th, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I love this, so simple and pretty! I will totally consider it as my next decoration (somehow I really enjoy decorating my place, even for no special reason).
Kaisa recently posted..Whoosh

Kaisa commented on April 17th, 2013 at 3:33 pm

Oh good Kaisa. It’s super easy, so I hope you try it.

papernstitch commented on April 17th, 2013 at 4:03 pm

I really like this! I am not sure why I never thought of this because I often save pretty napkins thinking to myself, “oh, I will use this! I mean look at it, it is just so cute!” yup, I never do. But, thanks to you, now I can!!! I simply love it.
- Dusty

- Dusty. commented on April 17th, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Awesome Dusty. Glad to hear that I’m not the only one hoarding pretty napkins. :)

papernstitch commented on April 17th, 2013 at 5:04 pm

So cute! I am going to try this for my mantle!
aimee bee recently posted..the little things

aimee bee commented on April 17th, 2013 at 8:27 pm

This would be perfect for a mantel Aimee. Good luck!

papernstitch commented on April 17th, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Love it!

Danielle commented on April 18th, 2013 at 5:07 am

This is cool.

xo janika
janika R recently posted..Easy Garland

janika R commented on April 18th, 2013 at 10:30 am

What a great idea – fun and inexpensive, too. I may just have to do this for my sweet niece’s birthday in a month! :) Thanks for the great idea

Beth @ Whiskeytangohello.blogspot.com commented on May 24th, 2013 at 3:31 pm