04/23/13
29 comments Make This: Mini Marbled Decorative Bowls for Mother’s Day by   |   29 comments

marbled-mini-bowls-diy

This guest post was written by Stephanie Gerber of Henry Happened.

You know what’s fun to play with? Oven bake clay. I know, you’re probably thinking, not more clay! But you’re only saying that if you haven’t tried it. The rest of us are addicted. Yep, just call me the crazy clay lady. And what’s even more fun? Clay and nail polish. That’s a match made in DIY heaven.

I was thinking of giving these colorful bowls to friends for Mother’s Day gifts. But they are looking so pretty on my new office desk. Maybe I’ll just call it a gift to myself?

To make your own nail polish dipped clay bowls you will need:

1. Oven bake clay.
  2. Lots of pretty nail polish colors.
  3. A disposable cup or bowl to dip in.
  4. A toothpick to swirl the colors.
  5. Masking tape.

marbled_mini_bowls_tutorial

Instructions: 1. First you need to make a clay bowl. To do that, start by rolling out the clay between sheets of wax paper until the clay is a uniform thickness of about 1/4 inch. Use an oven safe bowl, like small Pyrex one, to shape the clay. Flip the bowl over and mold the clay to the bottom. Trim the clay to the height you want and smooth the edges. Really short bowls are excellent ring bowls while taller ones are good for corralling change or paper clips.

2. Bake the clay and let it cool. Ease it off of the bowl base and tape off the area that you don’t want to dip. This is where it’s fun to experiment. Dip one side, just the bottom, or even the inside. Or do the whole thing!

3. Fill a cup or bowl with room temperature water. Then drip in nail polish. The first couple of drops should spread across the top of the water. If it doesn’t, check the temperature of your water and try again. It’s fun to mix 2-3 colors and swirl them around with a toothpick.

4. Then dip! Straight down into the polish works best. But you can roll it around in the water too if you want to cover more of the bowl.

5. Let the polish dry, remove the tape and fill with the jewelry you’ll be getting for Mother’s Day. Now is definitely a good time to start dropping hints!

black-marbled-bowls

mini clay bowls diy

cool mother's day diy project

make-these

henry-happenedStephanie Gerber spends her days chasing 3 little kiddos in Nashville, TN, and her nights blogging about DIY and style. Check out more handmade chic ideas to look your best and style your nest on her blog Henry Happened.

For more craft projects like this one, visit the DIY projects page here.

29 comments to Make This: Mini Marbled Decorative Bowls for Mother’s Day Click here to reply

wow, love it!

Frances commented on April 23rd, 2013 at 10:26 am

What an amazing idea! I’m so glad you shared this. :)
I’m definitely going to try to make a dozen of these for friends, family, and myself!! They are amazing!
Laura – RelativelyOffbeat recently posted..Grand Rapids is sinking!

Laura - RelativelyOffbeat commented on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:33 am

A dozen, huh? That’s awesome Laura. I bet your friends and family will love ‘em.

papernstitch commented on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:53 am

What a great idea! I can’t wait to try this. My mom, sister and I used to use filo dough all the time when we were younger and it was so fun, so I know I’d love making these…a few for me, and a few as gifts :)
Theresa recently posted..Girls Day at the Ballpark

Theresa commented on April 23rd, 2013 at 11:58 am

Awesome Theresa. Let us know how it turns out.

papernstitch commented on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Check out my marbled mini clay bowls on @papernstitch http://t.co/Hm3XZusMF4

Stephanie Gerber (@henryhappened) commented on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:29 pm

These are incredible, Stephanie! RT @henryhappened: Check out my marbled mini clay bowls on @papernstitch http://t.co/vnVX7Ma7D2

@SmartNSnazzy commented on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Cute!! they look so complicated though. I swear I would mess this up completely. xx. McKenna Lou
McKenna Ryan recently posted..Brushstroke Canvas

McKenna Ryan commented on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I don’t think you’d mess it up McKenna. It’s easier than it looks- you can do it. :)

papernstitch commented on April 23rd, 2013 at 12:41 pm

How fun. I love little bowls.
Seriously Sassy Mama recently posted..Views From My Couch

Seriously Sassy Mama commented on April 23rd, 2013 at 3:23 pm

So cute! (I really liked your photos) I am excited to try this, looks like such fun!!

- Dusty.
- Dusty. recently posted..Photo Walk – featuring my NEW camera!

- Dusty. commented on April 23rd, 2013 at 4:35 pm

RT @henryhappened: Check out my marbled mini clay bowls on @papernstitch http://t.co/Hm3XZusMF4

Brittni Mehlhoff (@papernstitch) commented on April 23rd, 2013 at 4:43 pm

wow!!! it’s amazing idea, thanks!
Magda:*
Magda recently posted..Ozdobne poszewki na poduszki *Decorative pillowcases

Magda commented on April 24th, 2013 at 2:54 am

I can’t wait to try this!!!!! Looks so simple and fun!

Tawny @ Tawny's Tid Bits commented on April 24th, 2013 at 7:04 am

I can’t wait to try this! Adding to my “to do” list! http://t.co/nIMgEpsli1

@tyeager914 commented on April 24th, 2013 at 7:06 am

Awesome!!
Creative Mind recently posted..3rd Blogversary & Giveaway!

Creative Mind commented on April 24th, 2013 at 7:48 am

So pretty and useful!
Vivien recently posted..Tower of Herb or the Tower of Power

Vivien commented on April 24th, 2013 at 2:53 pm

I saw this on Pinterest a few days ago and thought I’d try it today. I haven’t gotten to the color swirl part because I had a problem taking them off the glass bowls. I made 4 and only 1 came off the bowls without breaking completely. I glued the others back together and I’m going to try the color dip in the morning. Did you have trouble getting the clay off the glass bowls? All of mine cracked, some more than others. They weren’t 100% cool, still slightly warm to the touch, but I wouldn’t think it would make that much difference. This is a great idea. I just wonder what I did wrong. :-/

Angie May commented on May 4th, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Angie May commented on May 4th, 2013 at 11:48 pm

wow it’s really original, i love your idea! Now I know how I’m going to surprise my mum for her b-day!
Can anyone tell me how do I bake the clay at home?

Lucia commented on July 7th, 2013 at 1:29 am

Your bowl is so cute and original! I’ll try to do it! Thank you!
Lory from http://www.lunadeicreativi.com
Lory recently posted..Scuola di Uncinetto (Lezione 5): Mezza Maglia Alta

Lory commented on September 30th, 2013 at 6:30 pm

[…] Marbled Decorative Mini Bowls DIY from Steph Gerber for Paper & […]

8 (Holiday Gift) DIYs to Try this Weekend | Paper & Stitch commented on December 20th, 2013 at 9:00 am

These look awesome :))))))
Definitely going to make some for my jewelry or paperclips!

Alex recently posted..Coconut Crumble Cookies With Blueberry,Pear, Date Filling

Alex commented on December 29th, 2013 at 4:08 am

[…] pinterest I decided to make my own and finally have a place to keep my bits and bobs. Inspired by these nail polish dipped lovelies over on Paper and Stitch, I’ve gone for marbled fimo with a gold […]

Diy marble jewellery dish. | south by north commented on January 21st, 2014 at 4:54 pm

[…] for creating a tiny bowl collection. My wedding rings stay in this gold leaf bowl, and I use these tiny marbled dishes for my latest favorite ring (who doesn’t love a ginormous […]

5 Stylish DIY Jewelry Storage Ideas | Henry Happened commented on January 28th, 2014 at 9:04 am

[…] Mini Marbled Decorative Bowls from Paper N Stitch […]

24 Non-Food DIY Gifts to Give This Holiday Season - Savvy Eats commented on April 28th, 2014 at 9:46 am

[…] 3. Los accesorios a mano. Y es que muchas veces vamos dejando nuestros collares, anillos y pulseras encima de la mesa o cualquier otro sitio. Con estos recipientes tendrá todas sus joyas recogidas y accesibles en todo momento. (Vía: Paper & Stitch) […]

10 Ideas DIY para regalar en el Día de la Madre | Craft+Co.Craft+Co. commented on April 29th, 2014 at 1:03 am

[…] Marbled Mini Clay Bowls […]

Churp Churp - DIY ideas to blow your mom away this Mother’s Day! commented on May 9th, 2014 at 7:01 am

WOw these are gorgeous and very unique. I’ve never seen this technique used on this medium. Excellent!
Jeanine recently posted..halflighthoney:

⚪⚪⭕⚪⚪⚪⭕

Handmade ceramics design via…

Jeanine commented on July 24th, 2014 at 10:22 pm