03/11/14
27 comments Fold It Up: Unique DIY Business Cards by   |   27 comments

DIY // unique, folded business cards

I’ve been meaning to post this for weeks, but better late than never, right?

When I was at Alt Summit this year, I really wanted to try something different with my business cards for a few reasons. 1) My old cards had information about the exhibition site on them, which isn’t relevant anymore. And 2) I am a little bit over letterpress. I said it. Eeek.

I collected a bunch of gorgeous letterpress cards from people at Alt last year (and this year) and was super proud of the ones that I had Jordan design for me last year. But this year, it just didn’t feel right for me. We all know how expensive letterpress is and to be honest, it is pretty much a standard amongst bloggers at this point. So it’s not unexpected…it’s just a super expensive, well-done card that is (semi) similar to everyone else’s. There is an exception to this rule and I found some really beautiful letterpress cards this year at Alt, but for the sake of this post, I’m just kind of generalizing.

So anyway, I decided to skip letterpress and do something minimal and different. I’ve had this idea in my head since last year’s Alt that I wanted to make a folded poster and that that would be my business card. To be honest, I didn’t think I would have the guts to ever do it because it’s kind of risky. BUT I did! Sort of…

super minimal business cards

black and white business cards

folded business card + poster

I went with a super minimal black and white business card, which I had printed from Luxe by Moo. Jeff designed them for me, so I could focus on designing the folded poster part. I wanted to be able to include a personal note to each person I gave a card to, so Jeff added long blank boxes to the back of the card, where I could write a message about where we met to remind that person later if they forgot (you meet so many people at Alt, it’s almost impossible to remember everyone).

As for the poster, in an ideal world I would have made this huge (like 18×24 or larger), but I couldn’t figure out how to fold the paper properly at that size AND it would have been extremely expensive. So, I opted for a normal size sheet of paper, professional printed on matte paper.

Then I folded every single sheet, so that my business card could rest inside and create a black triangle that slightly resembles the shape of a house. It took a while to create a design that would line up perfectly, but eventually I figured it out. The poster included an image of one of my most popular DIY projects and some info about me, along with a sentence or two about the party I was hosting at Alt Summit later that week.

Here’s the step by step process of how I folded the posters…

DIY folded business cards

And here’s a video version if you want to see the step by step process all the way through. It’s only 20 seconds, so it won’t take long to watch…

Although there would have been some things I would’ve changed, had I started all over again, I was happy with how they turned out. If nothing else, I can chalk it up to doing something outside of my comfort zone that was a little different that the majority of the business cards I collect at these kinds of things.

What kind of business cards do you dream about creating?

Photography and video by Sarah Eddy

27 comments to Fold It Up: Unique DIY Business Cards Click here to reply

This is pretty darn cool.

YOLONDA WASHINGTON commented on March 11th, 2014 at 9:28 am

This is VERY cool. Very creative, Brittni!
Mo recently posted..LET’S TALK // FAILURE

Mo commented on March 11th, 2014 at 9:37 am

these are awesome! love the idea. they are great :)

juni commented on March 11th, 2014 at 9:37 am

This is ridiculously awesome! Very creative and unique! I would have been way impressed if someone gave me a business card like this. Thanks for sharing!
Katie @ Freckled Latte recently posted..Now & Later // Link up

Katie @ Freckled Latte commented on March 11th, 2014 at 10:03 am

wow
love it!
Josie recently posted..Black Heart beating – treasury

Josie commented on March 11th, 2014 at 10:16 am

These are amazing! I’m so impressed that you were able to design the fold, I don’t have the brain for that kind of thing. From all the blogs I visit, it seems like there is a bit of pressure to have unique business cards at Alt.

Marlene commented on March 11th, 2014 at 10:36 am

i LOVED this brittni. so original and fun!
lauren recently posted..sweet + salty crostini’s // simple entertaining at home

lauren commented on March 11th, 2014 at 11:14 am

Oh what a great idea, I love it! It’s such a great way to incorporate a larger piece of paper to show and tell more about you/your brand. Great idea :)
Kevin | Thou Swell recently posted..A Photographer Lives Here

Kevin | Thou Swell commented on March 11th, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Yessss! I’ve been waiting for this!! SUCH a genius idea, my dear, and I love it paired with the black business cards!! Amazing.
Kelly @ Studio DIY recently posted..Kiss Me (I’m Irish!) Cake

Kelly @ Studio DIY commented on March 11th, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Ohhh very cool! Will definitely set you apart ;)

Nicole commented on March 11th, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Those are gorgeous! Love the dedication/hand-made touch of folding ever poster, too. And the idea to write on the back of the business cards. I left a blank space in the front of post cards to do the same.
Van recently posted..Sally Ann’s Upcycled Business: An Inspiring Vintage Travel Trailer “Mobile Boutique”

Van commented on March 11th, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Wow these are amazing!!!!!

Nina commented on March 11th, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Amazing!!

Dani commented on March 11th, 2014 at 6:56 pm

WOW! These are pure brilliance! I would be so stoked to receive a business card like this – great work!

Dani commented on March 12th, 2014 at 6:05 am

So cool! I love creative business cards!
chelsea recently posted..A Letter to English Majors.

chelsea commented on March 12th, 2014 at 8:29 am

[…] Paper & Stitch shows how to make some cute DIY business cards here. […]

Craft Tutorials commented on March 12th, 2014 at 11:29 am

what a brilliant idea! such fun! I have been looking into purchasing slash making buisness cards and this helps me think of some other options, Thanks. :)
Dusty recently posted..The Carousel

Dusty commented on March 12th, 2014 at 4:27 pm

These look so cool!

Lys commented on March 12th, 2014 at 4:30 pm

What an amazing idea, the result looks so nice. :D
Kya recently posted..27 Years Today

Kya commented on March 12th, 2014 at 11:00 pm

That’s such an amazing idea! Oh… the possibilities! Thanks so much for sharing!
Lily Razz recently posted..Inspiration from a Flower Shop

Lily Razz commented on March 16th, 2014 at 3:54 am

Lovely idea!
Mervi recently posted..Free images for your blog or design projects

Mervi commented on March 16th, 2014 at 1:09 pm

cool idea.. love it ..
Sumona recently posted..Exotic fish digital print!!!

Sumona commented on March 22nd, 2014 at 11:45 am

I LOVE this! Thanks for sharing!

Jill commented on March 23rd, 2014 at 12:26 pm

[…] pick: Paper & Stitch I found on a blogroll. I love unique designs and this folded business card is amazing. The black […]

Design picks of the week 4/25/2014 ‹ onejdesigns commented on April 28th, 2014 at 9:46 pm

[…] Photography by Braizen |  Style and Pepper | Fold It Up Unique DIY Business Cards by PapernStitch | Scalloped Cards for The Millswyn (Gorgeous and irritatingly no one to link it to despite my […]

“Oooh! I love your card” How to create a business card with impact | The Brand Stylist commented on June 23rd, 2014 at 11:34 am

LOVE these cards! Seriously inspiring ;-)
Fiona Humberstone recently posted..“Oooh! I love your card” How to create a business card with impact

Fiona Humberstone commented on June 23rd, 2014 at 2:36 pm

OH MY GOSH! That’s genius. I seriously can’t say more than that because I’m speechless. *jaw dropped*
Taylor recently posted..THIS SITTING DUCK GOT A JOB…KIND OF | LIFE LATELY