Make This: Modern Concrete Planters DIY

DIY // Modern Concrete Planters in Minutes

I was strolling the aisles of a home improvement store recently and found these awesome concrete donut looking things…turns out they’re sprinkler guards. Do people actually use these?

I know it probably sounds weird, but I was pretty excited when I found ’em because I knew instantly that I could turn them into a DIY project…I started shoveling them into my cart before figuring out what I was actually going to make with them, but before I made it out of the store, I had a plan. Modern concrete planters.

I love a good planter project (as evidenced here and here), and this one is my favorite yet. It’s super inexpensive (just over $2 per planter) and super easy. You don’t even need glue!

DIY Modern Concrete Planters for $2

I can totally picture a line of these on a long table as a modern centerpiece option. Or just hanging out on window sill…or desk…pretty much anywhere.

Want to make your own? Here’s how…

7 inch round sprinkler guard  (2 needed per planter) // paint // paint brush // small plants or succulents

Sprinkler Guards Turned Modern Planters

*My apologies for the iPhone photo, but I wanted to share the true ‘before’ version of these puppies. I love finding random stuff at the home improvement store.

Each one was $1.06 and it only takes 2 to make a planter. So each planter totaled $2.12. Not bad!

How to make concrete planters in minutes

How To:

1. Wipe down the sprinkler guards with water and a paper towel or cloth. Then paint the entire guard and wait for it to dry. I added a little bit of water to the paint I was using, so that some of the texture and greenish color would peek through. *I also left some of the guards as is because I liked that color green so much.

2. Next, flip one of the guards over, so that the flat bottom is facing up. Then place another sprinkler guard on top. No glue necessary.

3. Next, add a plant or succulent to the inner hole and you’re good to go. *Make sure to keep the plant inside the plastic starter pot you buy it in.

DIY // Modern Concrete Planters for $2

Make This // Modern Concrete Planters in Minutes

DIY // Modern concrete planters made of sprinkler guards

Concept, photography, and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff

Think you’ll give this DIY a try? Or have any other ideas for what to make with these sprinkler guards? I’m all ears.

This entry is filed under , , , , , , , .

No way! Super cute! I can’t believe I’ve never seen those at my (home improvement store of choice)!! I spend enough time in there… Anyway, thanks for the heads up, I’ll keep an eye out!
Amelia recently posted..DIY Wooden Necklace Displays

Amelia | August 6th, 2014 at 9:59 am

Thanks Amelia. It was a pretty random find, but I love how they turned out.

Brittni | August 6th, 2014 at 10:45 am

this is such a brilliant idea! I’m saving this for the little winter garden I’ll be planting in september. thanks for sharing!

love, arielle
a simple elegance
arielle recently posted..GEAR UP

arielle | August 6th, 2014 at 11:30 am

Such a simple idea that is so cute!
chelsea recently posted..How To: Convince Your Husband To Buy You a Puppy.

chelsea | August 6th, 2014 at 11:31 am

what a great and beautiful idea!

Drycha | August 6th, 2014 at 11:43 am

Really clever idea! I’d like to try stenciling them or layering different paint colors.
Brandi recently posted..Nurse Birthday Party Pack – Printable Party Downloads

Brandi | August 6th, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Could you also use a donut pan? Or would it ruin it?

Molly // TLP | August 6th, 2014 at 1:23 pm

I’m obsessed with these Britt!
Ashley | Sugar & Cloth recently posted..Want to be featured on Sugar & Cloth?

Ashley | Sugar & Cloth | August 6th, 2014 at 5:13 pm

These are so cute! I mixed some concrete and made a planter recently, but these look a lot less messy!
Caitlin recently posted..DIY Rocket Man Jetpack

Caitlin | August 7th, 2014 at 7:24 am

This is such a wonderful idea! A trip to the local home-improvement store is definitely needed now! x

Anna-Claire | August 7th, 2014 at 11:51 am

Brills! It’s on the list for next summer!
The Accidental Mama

Laura | August 7th, 2014 at 12:51 pm

[…] 3. modern concrete planter DIY […]

6 DIYs to Try This Weekend | Paper and Stitch | August 8th, 2014 at 8:00 am

[…] – 2 – 3 – 4 – 5 – […]

Six minimal DIY's for your home » COCO LAPINE DESIGNCOCO LAPINE DESIGN | August 12th, 2014 at 2:44 am

[…] DIY Concrete Diamond by A Merry Mishap 2. Concrete Lamp Pendant by Ben Uyeda for Brit + Co 3. Modern Concrete Planters by Paper & Stitch 4. DIY Cement Star Votives by Hello Natural 5. Bucket Stool by HomeMade […]

8 Must-Try Concrete Projects - The Crafted Life | August 18th, 2014 at 3:10 am

[…] the table, without being too formal. Use short vases and vessels from around the house or try this DIY concrete planter idea for something more modern and minimal. And don’t forget this tutorial for a simple fresh […]

7 DIY Entertaining Hacks to Get You Through Your Next Dinner Party in Style | Paper and Stitch | August 27th, 2014 at 9:40 am

[…] Modern Concrete Planters by Paper & […]

5 Favorites: Home DIY Projects | November 7th, 2014 at 7:05 am

What a wonderful idea! Never saw those sprinkler guards in berlin. I’ve to check it out instantly. Thanks for sharing!
Best from Berlin

Anne | November 19th, 2014 at 3:09 pm

I’m confused! Did you pour concrete into the sprinkler cover and then remove it? Or, did you paint the cover and no concrete?

Peggy | December 30th, 2014 at 4:13 pm

This is lovely. This is a great idea and the sprinkler guards are just the right size to make a super cute planter. It would definitely make a great paperweight you are correct!
Shanda Lee recently posted..Peppermint Hot Chocolate DIY