02/03/10
53 comments Unraveling a Letter {diy} by   |   53 comments

Here’s a fun idea for sending a message to someone you love… stamp it. I found these little wooden spools at the craft store and wanted to come up with a clever use for them. And since Valentine’s Day is coming up, I thought this would be a unique keepsake. Writing a letter that needs to be unraveled to be read. This could work for any occasion really….birthdays, just because, etc.

What do I need? Materials: Fabric or ribbon (length will vary depending on length of message), wooden spool (from craft store or recycled), rubber letter stamps, stamp pad, craft glue

How do I make it? Steps: 1. Cut a long strip of fabric about 1.5 wide and at least one yard long depending on how long you want your letter to be. You can also use ribbon as oppose to fabric (cotton webbing works great).

2. Leave a couple of inches on the end of the fabric strip blank and then begin stamping your message.

3. Once message is complete, glue the start of the message (the area that you left blank at the beginning) to the spool using craft glue. Ravel your message around the spool. Place in a decorative box and you are all set.

Looking for more ideas for quick weekend projects? Click here to visit the tutorials page filled with more than 25 easy diy’s.

53 comments to Unraveling a Letter {diy} Click here to reply

Brilliant! I absolutely LOVE this idea! Thank you for sharing.

Julie commented on February 3rd, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Love this! I have all the stuff already. Better get busy! :)

Tania Welch commented on February 3rd, 2010 at 4:43 pm

[...] is an adorable, heartfelt craft! via paper n [...]

Unravel Love | a silly muse commented on February 3rd, 2010 at 5:03 pm

love it! great idea, brittni!

SweetBeaker commented on February 3rd, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Thanks everyone. These are so easy to make. I am addicted…

papernstitch commented on February 3rd, 2010 at 6:06 pm

sweet idea for those remnant pieces of ribbon!

tanya commented on February 3rd, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Very nice! I love it!

Fee-AMore commented on February 4th, 2010 at 2:14 am

That’s so sweet, you’re so imaginative, Brittni!

Louise commented on February 4th, 2010 at 5:21 am

GOOD job! this is something i’d definitely do one day. if you just could find some decent letter stamps in this darn country!

lou commented on February 4th, 2010 at 10:50 am

[...] Paper n Stitch has this super sweet idea [...]

friday freebies ~ valentine’s day edition commented on February 4th, 2010 at 4:51 pm

Darling idea! I should make one for my husband.

Whatever DeeDee Wants commented on February 5th, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Very cute! Gonna have to try this. My only suggestion that came to mind is to glue it the opposite way maybe? That way they read the message as the unroll it? So glue the fabric at the end of the sentance or message to the spool?

Stacy commented on February 5th, 2010 at 2:49 pm

Stacy,
Yes. I thought of doing it that way as well. But I had already written the message the opposite way when I thought of it. :) Good idea.
Brittni

papernstitch commented on February 5th, 2010 at 2:56 pm

What a lovely idea. I’ll be trying this one, thanks for sharing it.
Nina

Nina commented on February 7th, 2010 at 4:39 pm

What a truly clever idea!

Carol commented on February 7th, 2010 at 11:28 pm

[...] borrowed the images and the general outline from paper n stitch but made one or two changes to the directions so that the message can be read as it’s [...]

Toronto Wedding Planning, Toronto Wedding Ideas, Toronto Wedding Advice, Toronto Wedding Blog by The Wedding Co. » DIY Valentine commented on February 8th, 2010 at 3:35 pm

[...] is cute idea from paper n’ stitch blog. Stamp a love letter on some scrap fabric and wrap it around an old [...]

Valentine’s Day Freebies « commented on February 9th, 2010 at 9:37 am

[...] love {this idea} for winding up love for your [...]

Love on a Spool | giverslog.com/wrapthegift commented on February 9th, 2010 at 2:35 pm

[...] of Paper N Stitch shares how she made this unraveling message with a plain wooden spool, fabric strips and [...]

How-To: Stamped Fabric Spool Message | Crafts Kids :: Free Crafts Network commented on February 10th, 2010 at 10:09 am

Adorable!

whyte commented on February 10th, 2010 at 10:53 am

Thanks so much to everyone who has written about this project on their blog or left a comment here. I would love to see your finished version for those that have tried this…leave a link to a picture if you would like.

papernstitch commented on February 10th, 2010 at 10:57 am

I love this! Its so cute and adorable and EASY!

Heather commented on February 10th, 2010 at 1:20 pm

This is such a cute idea! I love it. Such a nice gift to give a sister or mother that loves sewing on V day! x

Lilly Higgins commented on February 11th, 2010 at 8:22 am

great idea!!

Stephanie commented on February 11th, 2010 at 11:38 am

This is really a fantastic idea! It could be given to anyone, anytime of the year, as a supportive note for someone who feels their life is ‘unraveling’. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor commented on February 11th, 2010 at 1:57 pm

[...] Stamped love message on a wooden spool from Paper N Stich [...]

Best of Valentine’s day projects links « Art vs craft commented on February 11th, 2010 at 3:33 pm

This is sooo sweet! I love the idea and I think it would indeed be great for family or friends! Thanks for sharing!

RobbieLee at Chickiedee commented on February 11th, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Aww, I love this! What a fun idea. Thanks so much for this, I’ll be linking.

Rachel commented on February 12th, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Thanks everyone who has linked to this tutorial. It means a lot to me. You all are the best!

papernstitch commented on February 12th, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I knew I was saving all those wooden spools for a reason!

Ann commented on February 12th, 2010 at 6:31 pm

[...] There it is. I got this idea from A Breath of Frake-Air who found a tutorial on Paper n Stitch (a SUPER cute blog full of DIYs). I switched it up a little bit and, instead of [...]

A tradition begins… « Maundering Me commented on February 15th, 2010 at 10:31 am

wonderful, adorable|

simona commented on May 8th, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I found this post while searching for craft ideas for a huge bin of wooden spools I found while thrifting. Just love the idea. My daughters will love getting one of these! Thanks.

Wendy commented on June 3rd, 2010 at 8:55 pm

I’ve never seen this before…so clever!
Jana

Jana @ The Summer House commented on June 4th, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Awesome job! So sweet and thoughtful (and easy to do!) Thanks for the great idea

Karin commented on September 2nd, 2010 at 9:42 am

Thanks Mom. :)

papernstitch commented on September 2nd, 2010 at 9:48 am

[...] sweet idea for sending an unexpected message to your valentine. Posted by kbeall » holidays, make [...]

» Unraveling a Letter. commented on September 8th, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Thought I would comment and say superb theme, did you create it on your own? It’s really great!

laer sprog commented on November 3rd, 2010 at 3:24 am

[...] be sweet to receive a package with ribbon personalized just for you?  If you want to give it a go, click your way to Paper’n'stitch and see how simple it [...]

holiday DIY of the day #10: unraveling a letter | the little toil of love commented on December 11th, 2010 at 2:41 pm

[...] DIY- Unraveling a Letter A fun idea for sending a message to someone you love [...]

Crafty Connections- January 25th « creativeapples fine art photography commented on January 25th, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Was searching for Budget valentine gift ideas for my family and came across this… how beautiful and since I have all the supplies it is certainly within my budget… FREE! Thanks so much for posting such a cute idea and I have linked your post to my budget valentines ideas article.
Annie recently posted..Valentines Day Planning on a Budget

Annie commented on January 26th, 2011 at 10:59 am

Glad you like the tutorial Annie. And thank you for the linkback on your blog. That’s great! Hope you have a great week.

papernstitch commented on January 26th, 2011 at 11:09 am

[...] {“Unraveling a Letter DIY” from papernstitch} [...]

Make It Monday: Spread the LOVE | UglySpot Studio commented on February 7th, 2011 at 11:16 am

So cute!!!
I would LOVE to get such a letter. Am not too sure what my husband would say to it … ;-)
But I have no idea where to get such cute spools. Have not seen any around here. I know some people get vintage ones. But even those are either horribly expensive … or hiding from me! :-/

Will keep looking though!

Love
Ms Muffin
Ms Muffin recently posted..Folded stars

Ms Muffin commented on February 10th, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Hi Ms Muffin. Olive Manna has the best spools and they are very affordable. This one is my favorite:

papernstitch commented on February 10th, 2011 at 6:28 pm

[...] -Unraveling a unique love letter from me [...]

Weekend Links: V-Day DIY Edition | papernstitch commented on February 13th, 2011 at 12:35 pm

[...] and we all made valentines for our boos. I decided to ditch the traditional card and made an unravelling message instead. I stamped the message using my alphabet stamps and added a washi tape border. Then I [...]

Happy Valentine’s Day! « weiwabo commented on February 14th, 2011 at 9:18 pm

[...] una idea original para regalar? Seguramente esta propuesta te sea de ayuda. Consiste en enviar un mensaje especial a un ser querido a través de una cinta. Lo que haremos será sellar una cinta de color y envolverla en un carrete de madera. Al irla [...]

Un regalo original: una cinta con un mensaje - La Isla Buscada commented on August 21st, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Oh, that’s a romantic letter. Gad to stop here in your blog and know something worth and new. I would probably do this to my Girlfriend.
Mason King recently posted..Natural Remedies For Heartburn

Mason King commented on November 7th, 2011 at 11:31 pm

What a cute idea!!
Jessica @shimmerkai recently posted..10 DIY Party Decorations

Jessica @shimmerkai commented on January 4th, 2013 at 10:20 am

I just stumbled across the unraveling a letter for a valentine’s gift. I have been looking online for a couple hours now on where to get decent alphabet stamp sets. Where did you purchase yours for this particular DIY project?

Jenna

Jenna commented on February 3rd, 2014 at 4:16 pm

Hi Jenna. I got my alphabet stamps at an antique store. Maybe you could check Etsy to see if they have any vintage ones that you like? Good luck with your search.

papernstitch commented on February 4th, 2014 at 3:56 am