10/12/10
29 comments Tutorial: How to make a Polaroid Magnet Frame by   |   29 comments

I found these magnets on Photojojo a few weeks ago, and thought, “ These are cool. I can totally make ‘em.” So, that’s exactly what I did.

This project couldn’t be any easier! You only need a few supplies and a couple of minutes to make your own polaroid magnet frames. They are super addictive.  Here’s what you need to recreate this project at home…

Materials: White Magnetic Sheet (the heavier the weight the better- you can find quite a few different types here on Amazon), Ruler, Pencil or Pen, Xacto Knife

How To: Scroll below for step by step photos. Quick note- In the step by step photos I had a real polaroid in order to get the dimensions correct. I will give you all the correct dimensions below, so there is no need to use your own polaroid here, unless you really want to. 1. Turn your magnetic sheet over (white side down). Black side facing up. 2. Get out your ruler and draw a rectangle that is 4.25 x 3.5 inches. 3. Use your ruler as a straight edge and cut the rectangle out of your magnet sheet with an Xacto knife. 4. Now you need to cut out the inner box to make your magnet actually look like a polaroid. 5. Measure and mark 1/4 inch around three sides of your rectangle (top, left, right). 6. And then for the weighted bottom, measure 7/8 of an inch. 7. Grab your straight edge and the Xacto again and cut out the inner box. Flip it over, grab a few photos and enjoy!

Looks just like the real thing, doesn’t it? And here’s a few style shots (you know I love a good style shot when it comes to tutorials)…

For more ideas for quick and easy projects, click here to visit the tutorials page filled with more than 40 diy’s.

29 comments to Tutorial: How to make a Polaroid Magnet Frame Click here to reply

love it! what a great idea … if only i didn’t have a white fridge. lol.
.tif recently posted..self-portrait

.tif commented on October 12th, 2010 at 10:21 am

Thank you Tif. I hadn’t thought about people with white fridges (unfortunately). Well, if have a magnetic chalkboard lying around, that would do the trick too.

papernstitch commented on October 12th, 2010 at 10:31 am

incredibly cool project thanks for the dimensions this is going in my crafts to do folder.

katie commented on October 12th, 2010 at 10:35 am

Thanks so much Katie. And thanks for stopping by the blog and leaving a comment. A crafts folder, huh? I think I need to make one of those too!

papernstitch commented on October 12th, 2010 at 10:50 am

That’s quite nice. I saw those frames at Urban Outfitters but they were way too expensive. Lovely tutorial!
Julia recently posted..dont we all want

Julia commented on October 12th, 2010 at 2:44 pm

Thank you Julia. I had no idea that they were available at Urban as well. But yeah, this project is way cheaper than any store bought version.

papernstitch commented on October 12th, 2010 at 2:47 pm

This is so neat! Why didn’t I think of this before? ^^

jinnie commented on October 12th, 2010 at 9:12 pm

Thank you Jinnie. Glad you like my little tutorial.

papernstitch commented on October 12th, 2010 at 11:49 pm

These are awesome. Thanks for the tutorial :)
Amber L. recently posted..pictures from NY

Amber L. commented on October 13th, 2010 at 12:04 pm

[...] 10. Love this polaroid magnet frame how-to over at paper n stitch. ***** I’ve been busy preparing to open my etsy shop lately, [...]

Tuesday Love « soft weather commented on October 13th, 2010 at 1:02 pm

i’m crazy for all your DIY projects!!! how funnnn!
Mayi Carles @ Heartmade recently posted..Quotes I Love A Little Quote Project

Mayi Carles @ Heartmade commented on October 13th, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Thank you Mayi (as always, you are sweet as can be).

papernstitch commented on October 14th, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Found your blog through another blog… love this post! But any ideas on what to do with the inner box magnet that you cut out?

Sophia commented on October 14th, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Thanks Sophia. Great question. I rounded the edges of the square and made a circle and then punched a tiny hole at the top and decorated it to look like a little ornament. Then I threaded string through the hole. I thought I would use them as fun little gift tags over the holidays, that can then be used as a magnet. Kind of multi-functional I guess. :) Does anyone have any other ideas?

papernstitch commented on October 14th, 2010 at 8:40 pm

These are so cute! I love them! I featured these on my blog here:
come take a look!
xo,
Katie

Katie commented on October 18th, 2010 at 8:34 am

That’s great Katie. Thank you for including me tutorial in your roundup!

papernstitch commented on October 18th, 2010 at 9:54 am

[...] maakte een tutorial voor een instant Polaroid gevoel door magnetische lijstjes te maken. Ideaal voor iedereen die de prijs van zo een pakketje Polaroids [...]

Link Love | Plutomeisje commented on October 18th, 2010 at 2:14 pm

[...] Tutorial: How to make a Polaroid Magnet Frame [...]

luterceiro » Shared Items – October 26, 2010 commented on October 26th, 2010 at 11:17 am

[...] Magnetic Polaroid Photo Frames: ik blijf ze gewoon super vinden. Zeker iets wat ik nog ga proberen maken volgend jaar. [...]

Eindejaarslijstjes lijst | commented on December 30th, 2010 at 8:52 am

This project couldn

beer16 commented on January 16th, 2011 at 12:53 am

[...] could be simplier than these Polaroid magnet frames? Just cut a hole out of a sheet of magnet paper, and voilà! Nearly as instant as the old [...]

[weekend projects] Stuff to Make « Counting the Leaves commented on February 11th, 2011 at 2:48 pm

[...] Dit ziet er leuk uit toch? En o zo simpel. LikeWees de eerste om post te waarderen. [...]

Polaroid « mooi bedacht commented on February 17th, 2011 at 4:40 am

[...] an old clutch, create magnetic polaroid frames and make a sewless banner all by [...]

on my diy list « commented on February 17th, 2011 at 6:12 am

I just must make these…I saw a link to your how to on the lovely “It’s Simply Love” blog and feel I must make them! Thank you so much for such a wonderful DIY!

LIels :)

Liesl commented on April 6th, 2011 at 4:21 pm

How wonderful Liesl. I didn’t even know I was featured. But I’ll head over and check it out. Glad you found me.

papernstitch commented on April 6th, 2011 at 4:44 pm

[...] 8. Polaroid Magnet Frame [...]

15 DIY Wedding Frames and Photo Displays at creativedevelopment.biz commented on December 3rd, 2011 at 9:22 am

Ton idée est génial ! Merci beaucoup pour ton tutoriel !

Biscuie commented on February 13th, 2012 at 4:13 pm

That’s so cute! I’m definitely going to give this DIY a go :)
Roisin recently posted..Style crush: Alexa Chung

Roisin commented on August 3rd, 2012 at 4:43 am

[...] ahí y… ¡nos ha hecho mucha gracia esta propuesta de imanes con forma de marco Polaroid de Paper & Stitch! ¿Cómo la [...]

Crea tus propios imanes commented on April 11th, 2013 at 2:14 pm