11/16/10
31 comments Tutorial: How to Make a Modern Coffee Table with a Wood Pallet by   |   31 comments

Guest post by Luisa of Happy Serendipity blog.

Hi there! I’m Luisa and I blog at happyserendipity.com and I’m happy to be here today showing you how I designed and constructed our new coffee table. It’s a real low-budget project for which I didn’t need much and that took about 3 hours of work.

What is needed:

1. 1 euro-pallet from a supermarket (they throw those away anyway so I got mine here for free)
  2. 2 wooden plates in the right size for the top and bottom
  3. 2 square timbers
  4. 8 connecting bolts
  5. a grinding machine
  6. a power drill
  7. a box full of tools and screws
  8. some paint and 4 wheels (not in the picture)

I placed everything how I wanted it to be then screwed 4 screws into the plate to connect it with the pallet. That was pretty easy. I did the same with the plate on the bottom.

Then I placed the square timbers where they belonged and fixed them with the connecting bolts. The table was constructed in about 15 minutes.

After that I took some time to mend some parts with the grinding machine. The wood was very rough and split at some parts. With the machine it took 20 minutes to fix so the table would be ready to paint. (I have to add here that it would have been wiser to paint the plates BEFORE screwing them on the pallet. It was quite difficult to paint the bottom plate…Just in case you want to rebuild this table)

I decided on a dirty white paint with a turquoise doily pattern as a highlight. For that I painted a turquoise area on which I placed the doily while the paint was still wet, let it dry for 30 minutes and overpainted everything with white. Yes… because I’m doing this for the first time and rather act before I think and because I learn while doing let me tell you – I should NOT have put the doily on the wet paint. Because it was a hassle taking it off again. It stuck on the plate like hell and some turquoise paint scratched off. I’ll show you later how I fixed that.

But the result was pretty. It’s just a small detail but it looks good on the rough construction of the table.

Back to peeling-off the doily. When I removed it some turquoise paint came off and the brown plate shone through. To correct this I dipped a tampon into the pain, dabbed it on the parts until the brown was gone.

After the paint dried for a day I screwed in the wheels to give the table an industrial touch and was done! That’s the result.

The constructing of this table took about 3 hours. The painting was the biggest part. But the costs are compensating for everything. Let me show you:

euro-pallet  free + 2 plates  9 € + 2 square timbers  11 € + 4 wheels  10 € + paint  8 € + screws  3 € = total: 41 €

joy after completing this – priceless

I can recommend this project to every one who doesn’t want to spend a lot of money on a table. When you treat the wood with a water-repellent paint so it wouldn’t mold when it rains it would be wonderful for a sitting area in the garden as well.

I hope you enjoyed this cheap and easy project.

—-

About the Author: Luisa is the author of the Happy Serendipity blog, where you will find crafty diy projects and other inspirations. Read more about Luisa here.

31 comments to Tutorial: How to Make a Modern Coffee Table with a Wood Pallet Click here to reply

now i love this!!! :) i have been wanting these palets for a while, since i saw two (or more?) making a bed! :) i am all for those old wood pieces that can be recycled and turned into something great and full with character in our homes!!! thank you for this idea! hugs, twiggs
Twiggs recently posted..friday i am in love with

Twiggs commented on November 16th, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Exactly Twiggs. I am big on recycling discarded items as well. And I love this project. Thanks again Lou for the great tutorial.

papernstitch commented on November 16th, 2010 at 2:43 pm

i’m glad you like it Twiggs and happy to be here today. :-)

lou commented on November 16th, 2010 at 3:02 pm

me like. no: me love. and I’ve seen it live already. it’s so gorgeous you would never think it was a diy-project. love love love this project, lou ❤

Virginia commented on November 16th, 2010 at 3:07 pm

great diy project!
angie recently posted..Flats happy friday

angie commented on November 16th, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Happy to have you here Lou!

papernstitch commented on November 16th, 2010 at 3:41 pm

I love the idea and the effect, and the turquoise detail is so beautiful!
mnemonique recently posted..Umyj ręce – Wash your hands!

mnemonique commented on November 16th, 2010 at 4:57 pm

[...] love love love this DIY pallet coffee table just posted to Paper’n'Stitch. I doubt I have the time to do it, but it is a very neat [...]

Fave 5! « Gina Hief commented on November 17th, 2010 at 12:58 am

This is TOTALLY awesome! Love the doily idea!
Brava Lou!
Suze recently posted..MIHO unexpected

Suze commented on November 17th, 2010 at 6:31 am

A friend of mine did one similar for her living room and is fantastic. Easy and cheap to make!
Carolina Bernardo recently posted..Carolina Bernardo no Facebook

Carolina Bernardo commented on November 17th, 2010 at 8:32 am

What a fantastic job you did, Lou!! The table looks great and the feeling of accomplishment after a job well done must’ve been wonderful!

Maddy commented on November 17th, 2010 at 12:18 pm

How fabulous!!! I am so doing it!!

Tali Schiffer commented on November 17th, 2010 at 3:14 pm

[...] + Genius tutorial on making a modern coffee table out of a wooden pallet. [...]

Design Crush » Happy Weekend. commented on November 19th, 2010 at 4:01 pm

[...] Turn a pallet into a coffee table just lovely. I have two pallets right now, if you want one – let me know. They’re free to a good home. [...]

Things We Love To Do « jodimichelle commented on November 23rd, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I would be concerned about how the pallet was treated, some are heat treated, and some, the cheaper ones used for grocery stores and the like, are treated with chemicals. I think it’s important to note that if you don’t do your research and get a good pallet for this kind of project, awesome as it is, you could end up leaching chemicals into your home!
The best thing to do is ask around at department stores where they sell heavy appliances and things like that. WHen a company gets an order for a very heavy piece, they’ll need a custom pallet to move it. I work at a school and when we ordered new industrial sized printers for the print shop they came on pallets made of 10% wallnut. No joke. THese pallets are built into the price of the machinery so they just end up getting thrown out.

Kaitlyn commented on December 27th, 2010 at 6:21 pm

The funniest typo ever: “I dipped a tampon into the pain”:)

callmesusana commented on January 6th, 2011 at 10:23 pm

[...] Heute habe ich für euch zwar keine Anleitung für eine Couch, dafür für einen Couchtisch auf papernstitch gefunden. Man kann es ja dann wie die Japaner handhaben und sich mit einem Kissen knieend davor [...]

Couchtisch preiswert und schnell gemacht | Matrjoschki commented on February 24th, 2011 at 6:16 am

[...] found a diy project on how to make your own pallet coffee table at papernstitch, by guest blogger Luisa of Happy Serendipity [...]

EURO pallet | creAYtive commented on March 2nd, 2011 at 11:22 am

[...] via: papernstitchblog, [...]

Rustic, Modern, Reclaimed & Free: 13 DIY Pallet Projects | WebEcoist commented on March 28th, 2011 at 1:02 pm

[...] To make this modern coffee table you’ll need: 1 euro-pallet from a supermarket, 2 wooden plates in the right size for the top and bottom, 2 square timbers, 8 connecting bolts, a grinding machine, a power drill, a box full of tools and screws, white paint and 4 wheels. All these things will costs you about $50 so if you don’t want to spend a lot of money on a modern coffee table for your living room you definitely should make it. You can use it outdoors as weel but the paint should be water-repellent then. For full instructions visit Papersnitch. [...]

DIY Modern Coffee Table of Wooden Pallets | Shelterness commented on March 30th, 2011 at 2:00 pm

[...] re-nest 2. paper ‘n stitch 3. nuevo estilo 4. theron burger This entry was posted on Tuesday, May 10th, 2011 at 3:38 pm and [...]

inspired. » justQUACHit commented on May 10th, 2011 at 3:38 pm

This is brilliant. I have this page bookmarked, I plan to make one mid July, before I move into a new place! So excited!

Samantha Downey commented on June 22nd, 2011 at 1:18 am

Love it!…thanks for the simple steps, very easy to follow and simply practical.
Jeff recently posted..Gold and Silver Investments

Jeff commented on June 22nd, 2011 at 5:55 am

[...] two three [...]

Daily Obsession: Pallets | Großstadtprinzessin commented on June 23rd, 2011 at 10:19 am

[...] “Tutorial: How to Make a Modern Coffee Table With a Wood Pallet” – Source: Papernstitch [...]

Projects Using Wood Pallets commented on January 20th, 2012 at 8:18 pm

[...] Similar to the one above, if you like low-budget projects here’s another example of a highly modern coffee table. Takes about three hours to get it done. Don’t forget that you’ll need two wooden plates in the right size for the top and bottom. [a full tutorial on papernstichblog] [...]

Pallet Furniture: Recycling Pallets into Unique Furniture Pieces commented on February 6th, 2012 at 5:55 pm

[...] Image: papernstitchblog [...]

10 Ideas for Pallet Coffee Table for Living Room | 101 Pallets commented on April 13th, 2013 at 12:19 pm

very nice! love the pallet look

angela commented on May 26th, 2013 at 4:32 am

Thanks for this post. I’ve always wanted to try this and we’re renovating a home. This is perfect! Thanks!

karis commented on June 6th, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Hi! What an excellent job!!! Can you tell me what kind of paint you’ve used? Is wall paint good as well?
Simona

Simona commented on August 10th, 2013 at 9:49 am

You can definitely use interior paint for the this project, Simona. Good luck!

papernstitch commented on August 10th, 2013 at 12:51 pm