12/29/10
14 comments 10 minute diy: How to Make a Feather Barrette by   |   14 comments

I’m baaaaaaack! I just returned home late last night from my trip to Ann Arbor to see my family. And now that I am back, I couldn’t wait another day to post something here on the blog. So, I have a new tutorial for everyone to enjoy…

I came up with this easy accessory project for a feathered barrette that is a tiny bit flower child and a tiny bit awesome. Excluding drying time, this project will take less than ten minutes to complete. Easy peasy. I posted it last week on Oh Hello Friend, but I wanted to make sure I posted it here as well, for those that didn’t see it.

Here’s what you need to make your own: all purpose craft glue ; feathers; silver tone french barrette hair clips- you  can pick these up at any craft store or on amazon

Here’s how you make it: 1. Apply a very thin bead of glue down the length of the top of the metal barrette clip. If you accidentally apply too much glue, use a q-tip to remove the excess. 2. Choose your sturdiest, thickest feather. And use that for your base feather. Apply the feather to the top of the barrette and use the pressure of your fingers to press the feather down until the glue holds on its own.

3. Wait for it to dry and then apply your second feather, working out from the center. 4. Repeat step four with additional feather until you’ve achieved your desired look. Pro tip: If any area looks a little sloppy once finished, apply one small feather with glue on top of the messy area to cover it up.

5. Wait for everything to dry completely. And you have yourself a brand new feathered barrette. Great for the gifting season as well. Here’s what the finished product looks like…

For even more diy ideas + quick and easy projects, click here to visit the tutorials page. And if you like this project, please share the love by clicking the facebook and twitter buttons below.

14 comments to 10 minute diy: How to Make a Feather Barrette Click here to reply

super cute & simple … hope you had a wonderful christmas & enjoyed your time off. xx

laura Evans commented on December 29th, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Thank you Laura! I had a wonderful Christmas. Hope you did as well. :)

papernstitch commented on December 29th, 2010 at 2:39 pm

And I do believe I have everything I need to make this cute craft in my mess! I shall make this one, thank you for the tutorial.

Van commented on December 29th, 2010 at 2:40 pm

Don’t you love when you already have all the materials to complete a project like this Van? Its the best. Happy (early) New Year!

papernstitch commented on December 29th, 2010 at 2:49 pm

It’s so lovely, thanks for the tutorial!
Joyous Treasures recently posted..Crocheted Flower Bookmark Handmade Daffodil With Yellow Center

Joyous Treasures commented on December 29th, 2010 at 3:47 pm

how adorable! I’m pretty sure my girls will LOVE it!
Charlotte recently posted..What’s For Dinner Poulet Edition

Charlotte commented on December 29th, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Thank you Joyous and Charlotte!

papernstitch commented on December 29th, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Love it! So cute. I hope you had a very Merry Christmas. (I grew up and curently live in the town just east of Ann Arbor, I though the weather was just perfectly Christmassy; snow all around, but only flurries on the day and not so cold you couldn’t walk around and visit).
Happy New Year!
Elizabeth recently posted..Would you like to move to a little farm with me

Elizabeth commented on December 29th, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Hi Elizabeth! How great that you live in Ann Arbor. Its a beautiful place to live. We arrived on Christmas Day, and walked around for a little while in the afternoon and it started snowing while we were walking (just a little bit, but still very cool). The rest of the time it didn’t snow, but it was still fun. Happy holidays!

papernstitch commented on December 29th, 2010 at 3:58 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by brittni mehlhoff, stephanita . stephanita said: @kaitlynsquires Here's a DIY feather project for ya! RT @papernstitch: 10 minute diy: How to Make a Feather Barrette http://goo.gl/fb/ef4e4 [...]

Tweets that mention How to Make a Feather Barrette | papernstitch -- Topsy.com commented on December 29th, 2010 at 3:59 pm

that’s the easiest and cutest diy project i’ve seen – love it!
the clothing menu recently posted..a look back at 2010with the help of some of my fav blogs

the clothing menu commented on December 29th, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Thank you so much for the inspiration. Just today I created a tutorial I’ve been working on thanks to you :) :)
callmesusana recently posted..DIY Trifold Lady Greeting Card Tutorial How to

callmesusana commented on January 7th, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Glad to hear I inspire you today Callmesuana. It is really wonderful to hear that (especially after a day that was anything but roses). Have a great weekend.

papernstitch commented on January 7th, 2011 at 6:43 pm

[...] zu laufen und sich auszuprobieren? Ich habe mich für etwas zum Aufhübschen entschieden. Da kam das Federschmuck-Tutorial von papernstitch gerade [...]

Federleichter Kopfputz — Frau Ding Dong's Leben. commented on January 20th, 2011 at 5:29 am