01/20/11
25 comments DIY Idea: Cheap Modern House Numbers by   |   25 comments

Jeff and I looked for months for the “perfect” house numbers when we bought our house a few years ago. We finally found what we were looking for on DWR. And even though they were WAY more than we wanted to pay, we bought ‘em. There were no other modern options out there at the time. So, we ended up paying alot more than we expected for exactly what we were looking for.

Well, of course, now that the numbers have long been paid for and we’ve moved on to other things, I find this diy house numbers idea from Lotta Agaton. Shit. I love this. And it cost a fraction of the price. You can recreate this look with a $5 box of nails and a little leftover wood. Simple. Modern. And pretty damn cool.

What do you think? Would you create this nailed house numbers project for your home?

25 comments to DIY Idea: Cheap Modern House Numbers Click here to reply

Oh SNAP, yes! We’ve also been looking for house numbers – this is great. I would want to find weathered-looking nails like those. But nice find!
Cat recently posted..The Hot New Workout for Homeowners is Snow Raking

Cat commented on January 20th, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Yeah, me too Cat. I am not sure where you would get them. BUT if all else fails, you could probably fake it and paint some new nails black and then stand them down a little for a weathered look.

papernstitch commented on January 20th, 2011 at 3:46 pm

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by k. @ rikrak, brittni mehlhoff, Contemporary Cloth, kateross, Modernism Magazine and others. Modernism Magazine said: Creative! RT @papernstitch: DIY Idea: Cheap Modern House Numbers: Jeff & I looked for months for the “perfect” house http://goo.gl/fb/l6gMF [...]

Tweets that mention DIY Idea: Cheap Modern House Numbers | papernstitch -- Topsy.com commented on January 20th, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Those are really cool! What a good idea. I ended up painting some because they were all either expensive or hideous. http://www.flickr.com/photos/sbogdanich/5093921514/

lazysmurf commented on January 20th, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Thanks for the link lazysmurf. The colors really bring attention to it! Kudos.

papernstitch commented on January 20th, 2011 at 6:02 pm

So cool! Love this idea!:)

Anjela commented on January 20th, 2011 at 6:10 pm

daaaang, that is super cute! we actually have no numbers on the outside of our house currently because our last ones were so very ugly. we’ve yet to come up with some new ones. these are now in the running :)
jenn recently posted..DIY faux porcelain milk bottles and pom pom flowers

jenn commented on January 20th, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Awesome Jenn. Love your latest diy project on your blog, by the way. :)

papernstitch commented on January 20th, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Uhhh…YEAH!
Love it…
HUGS
Char.x

char commented on January 20th, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Oh my goodness. These are fantastic. We already have house numbers, but I’m thinking this would be totally awesome as indoor art. Maybe my son’s birth date or my anniversary date. Thank you for sharing.
margaret recently posted..Handmade Christmas- Ice Candle Globes

margaret commented on January 20th, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Oh, sure I would! Not just as a house number, but to make a simple statement in any room, on a budget. Great DIY!
Sanja recently posted..Kooky Thursday – Lord Sandwich

Sanja commented on January 20th, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I was thinking that too Margaret and Sanja (since we already have our numbers as well). I also thought maybe a heart or something like that for Valentine’s Day would work for wall art?

papernstitch commented on January 20th, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Oh, that’s neat Brittni! Thanks for sharing!
Michelle @ Sweet Something Design recently posted..More Kitchen Progress

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design commented on January 20th, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Love! Love! Love! Can’t say I envy the person who had to hammer all those nails without smashing their thumb countless times. Maybe I can get the hubby (better his thumb than mine right? wink!) to help create our own version… I am thinking a picture or words… or _______________…
Lauren recently posted..Barter- Trade instead of Pay

Lauren commented on January 21st, 2011 at 12:51 am

These are awesome! I would love to use this idea on a small piece of plywood–how much fun for an anniversary gift (with your date) or another special number?
Crystal recently posted..Friday Faves- January 21st

Crystal commented on January 21st, 2011 at 11:24 am

[...] Over at ‘Papernstitch‘ there’s a great idea for a unique and super cheap way to identify your [...]

VaaVoom.com » Blog Archive » Found: this week commented on January 23rd, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Oh! I love this! I agree with Crystal.
My friend and I have been looking for an art project to do for our 20 year anniversary. We realized that we have been friends for 20 years! We decided to make something with the number 20. I am going to make this. So cool!

Rikkianne commented on January 24th, 2011 at 8:18 am

[...] I’d most likely kill these potted house numbers, but they sure are cute. A simple box of nails and a piece of plywood create an inexpensive yet  very modern look. These sleek modern numbers run about $25 per number, [...]

Custom House Numbers « A Sensible Habit commented on May 10th, 2011 at 12:12 pm

[...] was a round-up of modern looking house numbers. Well, I came across this idea from Lotta Agaton via Paperstitch and Curlby. Very creative and certainly affordable using a bunch of nails. I [...]

friday favorites 6.17.11 | commented on June 18th, 2011 at 2:24 am

Thanks. I love the idea. Sure I will use it to designs shapes and create sculpture for example. Cool:))

Carole commented on June 22nd, 2011 at 2:50 pm

[...] Clever: House number made out of nails! [papernstitch] [...]

Friday Link Love – Fresh Home Blog commented on June 23rd, 2011 at 3:13 pm

[...] Spotted on Papernstitch [...]

№ Themed DIY Projects | The Row House Nest commented on April 18th, 2012 at 3:02 am

Pretty original!!! And cheap – great!!
SillyLittleSheep recently posted..Stars are back!!

SillyLittleSheep commented on January 26th, 2013 at 11:22 am

Awesome! I am imagining a print out stencil attached to a prefinished piece (or pieces) of background wood. Hammer in the nails as close as possible within the stencil. Spray paint nails desired colour & remove stencil (or paint the nails first & then hammer in for the distressed/antique look).

Aimee commented on April 30th, 2013 at 2:25 pm

[…] / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / […]

Ideje: moderni kućni brojevi - Dizajniram.com commented on September 3rd, 2013 at 5:58 pm