02/21/11
19 comments How to Make Cool Rainbow Crayons by   |   19 comments

A guest post by Alex of Alex Keller Studio.

My son’s pre K class colors every morning. One of the teachers mentioned getting some new crayons. I ask what they did with the old ones. She said that they would save them for a while and maybe try to find a project for the kids, but the old crayons usually get thrown out after a time. So I told her that I would take them and make some new crayons for the kids!

Supplies Needed: You’ll need an old pot, clean empty cans, crayons, plastic spoons, a candy mold with heart shapes and a pot holder.

How to Make Cool Crayons:
1. Sort your crayons by color. We grouped various shades of each color together, so red orange could go either way! Make piles to go with the colors of the rainbow.
2. Peel the paper off all of the crayons. Some crayons may take a bit of work because the paper is glued on.

3. Add some water to your pot, put it on the stove and turn on the heat. I started and stayed around medium. Break up a bunch of red crayons into a soup can and put the can into the warm water. Use a spoon to poke and prod and mix up the reds.

4. When the crayons have melted, use your spoon to ladle some red into each of the molds. Do as little or as much as you want.
5. Repeat with each color, allowing the crayons to cool in the molds between colors.  We used a fresh soup can each time to keep the colors true. My son and I layered on orange, yellow, green, blue and purple. We used extra crayons to make solid hearts, too.
6. Allow the crayon hearts to cool completely and then pop them out of the molds!

More about Alex Keller: Alex has a passion for fashion, art and design. And she infuses her love of vintage and jewelry into two shops: Vintage by Alex Keller and Alex Keller (the jewelry shop). You can follow Alex on twitter as well at AlexKeller.
For more ideas for quick and easy projects, click here to visit the tutorials page filled with more than 50 diy’s.
19 comments to How to Make Cool Rainbow Crayons Click here to reply

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by brittni mehlhoff, Donaville Herrick. Donaville Herrick said: RT @papernstitch: How to Make Cool Rainbow Crayons: A guest post by Alex of Alex Keller Studio. My son’s pre K… http://goo.gl/fb/F7TDS [...]

Tweets that mention How to make your own crayons | papernstitch -- Topsy.com commented on February 21st, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I love DIYs. But more than DIYs, I love crayons. So this ones a keeper! I’ll send pics of my crayons when their done!

Mayi Carles @ Heartmade commented on February 21st, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Looking forward to seeing your take on this project Mayi. Very cool!

papernstitch commented on February 21st, 2011 at 3:24 pm

This is such a great idea. I would love to try it with my new matryoshka doll ice cube trays. Little rainbow dolls would be adorable!
Please Note recently posted..Candy!

Please Note commented on February 21st, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Thanks for this! With a toddler at home today, I only wish I had read this early this morning. :)

Kathy commented on February 21st, 2011 at 8:51 pm

oooh I love this DIY :) We have the itty bitty crayons that my kids don’t know what to do with . Now I know what to do with them :)
lakshmi recently posted..Time for Hollywood news

lakshmi commented on February 21st, 2011 at 10:28 pm

This DIY is so fun! Both during and after the making. ;)
FeeAMore recently posted..the plain

FeeAMore commented on February 22nd, 2011 at 12:47 am

These turned out great! I will have to ask some of my teacher friends what they do with the crayon pieces. I love the hearts they would have made valentine’s gifts!

Fm commented on February 23rd, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Nice job! I saw this idea on ChicaAndJo.com some time ago. Glad to see yours came out as well as theirs :)

Kay commented on March 12th, 2011 at 9:13 am

[...] Rainbow Crayons via Papernstitch [...]

Simple Saturday Tutorials commented on March 12th, 2011 at 12:16 pm

[...] to admit it. Put on cartoons (not crappy ones like Dora the Explorer) , even better. So when I saw this project my first thought was ‘Ooooooo’ followed closely with ‘sign me up!’. I got a [...]

Crayons! « The Steph Blog commented on March 17th, 2011 at 12:47 pm

I love it, so pretty! I wish I could see them in action though, how the rainbow looks on the page.

Bright Shadows commented on April 7th, 2011 at 12:21 am

[...] How to Make Cool Rainbow Crayons [...]

Zurilicious » Blog Archive » DIY Fever commented on July 20th, 2011 at 6:13 am

I love it!!!! Must try with kids old crayons son

Sally commented on November 21st, 2011 at 2:36 pm

You can microwave crayon chips/bits/pieces in the mold. Might take a couple minutes, but I’d check every 30 seconds or so, and stir with a toothpick if the bits aren’t breaking up. If you want layers of colors, you could use a grater, keep the dry crayon shavings in a paper cup until you’re ready for that color.

Martha commented on March 7th, 2012 at 3:49 am

Does the pan come clean after you are finished? That is one thing I haven’t seen answered on any blogs that I have seen this done, I don’t want to sacrifice a good candy mold
JustCorey recently posted..Pinterest Monday: Toys for my Boys

JustCorey commented on March 12th, 2012 at 3:52 am

[...] an awesome variation, check out this awesome DIY Rainbow Crayon I stumbled upon over at Paper N’ Stitch. It’s totally [...]

DIY Recycling Crayons | Heartmade Blog commented on July 24th, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I’m going to make some of these for my niece! How to Make Cool Rainbow Crayons http://t.co/btJGJFAOpB via @sharethis

@TheExpCraft commented on May 21st, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I melt crayons in candy molds in my oven. I like this variation! An easy way to get the paper off crayons: soak crayons in warm water. The paper will come right off! Be careful with crayons that are not by crayola. They have a tendency to melt a little in warm water.

Renee commented on March 23rd, 2014 at 9:53 am