05/29/12
17 comments Dainty DIY: how to make a classic beaded ribbon bracelet by   |   17 comments

Good morning! Today, Bettina Johnson is sharing one of her tutorials for Make This. I‘ll be back tomorrow with 5 Faves. And if you’re looking for some biz inspiration, my newest Scoutie Girl post is up: knowing when it’s time to soarI hope you had an awesome weekend.

This diy guest post was written by Bettina of Bettina Johnson Jewelry.

Are you looking for something affordable, that will give your ultimate summer look an eye caching POP? My ocean and sand bracelet made of ribbon and glass beads is eye catching and super easy to make. Want to make your own? Here’s how…

You’ll need:

Here’s how to make it:

Most 15mm beads will come with a bigger hold, but if you are not sure read the description of the bead before ordering. The proper size for the Bead hole should be between 2-3mm. This is important because you need to fit the ribbon through it.

Cut the Ribbon in an angle to where it will be very pointy at the top, so you have it easier to enter the Bead hole.

On this next step you need to melt the ends with a lighter (be careful- hold the lighter not to close/to long on your ribbon or it will curl), now the ribbon fits through the bead easier and fuss free. If you still struggle – use the Bead reamer to push your ribbon through. Slide the first bead to the other side of your Ribbon (leave about 9″ inches of Ribbon – you’ll need that to tie it together at the end).

Knot each end as shown above, add the rest of your beads with knots in between.

When you have added all 8 beads to your ribbon, make sure to cut the ends one more time in a 45° angle, and melt them so your necklace stays nice for a long time. Now, this last step is very important, you NEED to iron your ribbon on the lowest heat or silk setting. Due to the pulling and squishing of your ribbon throughout this DIY project, it will look quite wrinkled – the ironing gives it the finishing touch!

Thank you so much Bettina for sharing such a lovely project today!

For those that love the finished bracelet, but don’t know about buying the supplies and making one of these on your own, let Bettina do it for you! You can purchase this bracelet and matching necklace set already made (the necklace is even prettier than the bracelet) from Bettina’s shop right here. Bonus! There is a 25% off sale happening right now at Bettina Johnson Jewelry now until the end of this month.

I craft with an extreme passion for jewelry, you can find my custom work at Bettina Johnson Jewelry. On my blog you can read all about the beautiful things in life – right here, and I’m also a first time mom of a cute little girl named Jasmine Lynn, she fills my days with laughter. We currently live in Okinawa, Japan (I am a proud Military wife!)

17 comments to Dainty DIY: how to make a classic beaded ribbon bracelet Click here to reply

Yea! It’s so pretty! I would totally wear a bracelet like this one!
Sarah recently posted..New Knotted Bracelets

Sarah commented on May 29th, 2012 at 10:36 am

I am so excited… our Ribbon and crystal bracelet mad it on http://t.co/nboH17W6 http://t.co/s9r8P7Gm

Bettina Johnson (@BJohnsonJewelry) commented on May 29th, 2012 at 5:46 pm

@Sarah: it’s super comfy to wear, too. I actually started making it with different beads: http://www.etsy.com/listing/100927953/ribbon-and-porcelain-knotted-bracelet

Enjoy!
Bettina Johnson recently posted..Retouch // with Florabella Collection

Bettina Johnson commented on May 29th, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Glad you enjoyed the tutorial Sarah. Thanks again Bettina for sharing it today!

papernstitch commented on May 29th, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I love this! It’s so pretty and classy. I’m pinning it!

Heather B commented on May 29th, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! Yup, I’d wear one!
Mary C. Weaver, CSCS recently posted..10 biggest fat-loss and fitness mistakes

Mary C. Weaver, CSCS commented on May 29th, 2012 at 8:30 pm

So pretty! I love the ribbon!
Leanne Chesser recently posted..My Cool & Awesome Time Management System

Leanne Chesser commented on May 29th, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Thanks for pinning Heather B! Much appreciated.

papernstitch commented on May 29th, 2012 at 8:41 pm

Check it out! Dainty DIY: how to make a classic beaded ribbon bracelet http://t.co/Rfkogz9S

Teowai Ratahi (@testinytwinkles) commented on May 29th, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Very pretty! I like the little knots between the beads!

Cathy Sykora commented on May 29th, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Very pretty! I haven’t seen the ribbon bracelets with the knots in between the beads before. I like it. Thanks for sharing your tutorial.
Mixed Kreations recently posted..Handcrafted Copper and Magnesite Gemstone Bracelet

Mixed Kreations commented on May 30th, 2012 at 5:53 am

This is really a sweet looking bracelet! I especially love that you used ribbon, and the bow really makes it. : )

Laura @ House Of Joyful Noise commented on May 31st, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I really need to get a bead reamer. I love the look of ribbon threaded through beads but always give up if the ribbon won’t go through. Thanks soooo much for the tips!
Steph @ The Silly Pearl recently posted..Craft Tutorial: Kids Activity Tray for Legos, Beads, and as a Felt Board

Steph @ The Silly Pearl commented on June 1st, 2012 at 12:46 am

so simple but soooo gorgeous!

Nancy commented on June 1st, 2012 at 6:03 am

Glad you all enjoyed this tutorial. When making a bracelet or necklace like this, make sure your bead has a big enough hole or it won’t work. Not even with a reamer!!!

But yea, it’s such a cute idea I had to share it on papernstitch.
Bettina Johnson recently posted..Got my eyes on // when I go to the beach

Bettina Johnson commented on June 1st, 2012 at 9:28 am

Thanks for the tip Bettina. I am hoping to try this project out soon. Have a great weekend.

papernstitch commented on June 1st, 2012 at 2:45 pm