01/22/13
10 comments Make This: DIY Fruit & Veggie Bags by   |   10 comments

I’m on a plane to Salt Lake City as we speak, so I asked Mariah from Everything Golden to stop by and share a (super awesome) DIY with you today. I’ll be back tomorrow with some sneak peeks for Alt – hint: that secret thing I’ve been working on & a look at my new letterpress business cards.

Anyway, I’ll let Mariah take it away…

I usually always remember to bring my canvas bags to the grocery store or farmers market. However, when I reach the fruit and vegetable section, I resort to using plastic. So I thought I’d solve this issue with making some cool re-usable bags. I found these great vintage flour bags at a local antique store and they make for the perfect material: they’re recycled, durable and a great alternative to plastic! I also love the visual quality.

What you’ll need:

1. 1 large flour bag (found at antique stores) makes 4 – 11.5 x 8.5 bags
  2. A sewing machine or needle and thread
  3. Small rope
  4. Scissors and pins

Instructions:

1. Cut the large flour bag into 4 sections.
  2. Then open one section and measure a piece of rope to be about 10 inches longer than the width.
  3. Lay the rope on the top of the fabric and fold about 1/5 inch over the rope and pin down and sew.
  4. You’ll then tie the ends of the rope to secure it.
  5. Lastly, fold rights sides together and sew edges, turn right side out and wallah!

Mariah is the creator of Everything Golden, a blog about independently crafted art, design, style, wild places and animals and anything that inspires. She’s a graphic designer, stylist and photographer living in and loving Montana with her laser physicist husband and a very smart and crafty border collie named Indie. Check out her blog for more DIY ideas and inspiration.

10 comments to Make This: DIY Fruit & Veggie Bags Click here to reply

(@papernstitch) (@papernstitch) commented on January 22nd, 2013 at 11:55 am

RT @papernstitch: Make This: DIY Fruit & Veggie Bags: I’m on a plane to Salt Lake City as we speak, so I asked… http://t.co/Z8VtL8pa

(@thriftcore) (@thriftcore) commented on January 22nd, 2013 at 12:12 pm

This is such a cute way to cut out the plastic. I always love using the grocery stores reusable tote bags. Is it hard to find those flour bags?
Tanya recently posted..The Best WordPress Anti-Spam Plugins for 2012-2013

Tanya commented on January 22nd, 2013 at 6:25 pm

That’s a good question Tanya. I’m not sure. Maybe Mariah will pop in and answer that one.

papernstitch commented on January 22nd, 2013 at 7:03 pm

You know Tanya, I don’t think they’re too hard to find. I found mine at a local antique store and I just did a quick search for “vintage flour sacks” on Ebay and Etsy and found some there as well. Good luck!

Mariah commented on January 22nd, 2013 at 9:13 pm

I just had a quick search on Etsy and it seems there are lots of flour sacks (or similar items) in the vintage-loving shops there.

Love this project, so beautiful and simple!
Anna Simmonds recently posted..Her name is Boots. Puss in Boots.

Anna Simmonds commented on January 23rd, 2013 at 6:46 am

Thank you for checking Anna! Appreciate that.

And BIG thank you to you Mariah for putting this DIY together. The photos are gorgeous.

papernstitch commented on January 23rd, 2013 at 11:39 am

Love this stylish, homemade bag for carrying vegetables. Time to get out the needle & thread. http://t.co/zhwy99NK

Sweetroot (@SweetrootFood) commented on January 24th, 2013 at 11:41 am

[...] a great alternative to using plastic fruit and vegetable bags at the grocery store. I love the idea of using old flour bags for [...]

DIY Fruit + Veggie Bags | Whimseybox commented on February 12th, 2013 at 10:00 am

[...] am so excited to share my latest DIY project with Paper & Stitch. I created re-usable fruit and veggie bags out of vintage flour sacks. Check out the post for [...]

Everything Golden » Guest Blogging commented on February 20th, 2013 at 2:17 pm