03/04/13
33 comments Make This: Polka Dot Thumb Tack Easter Eggs by   |   33 comments

unique-easter-egg-diy

Over the weekend I went to town on some Easter eggs and came up with a few unusual ways to decorate eggs for the occasion. So I’ll be sharing lots of DIY Easter inspiration this month, starting today (technically, I started last week with this Easter egg project, but you know what I mean) with the easiest egg decorating DIY  I’ve ever done.

Make a set of shiny, polka dot eggs like the ones above with just two supplies: hard boiled eggs (I used brown ones) and metal thumb tacks. That’s it. You can get the thumb tacks at any craft store or on Amazon.

Step by Step: This is so simple, you probably don’t need any instructions, but I’ll share ‘em anyway… Once you’ve boiled your eggs and they’ve been cooled, you can slowly push thumb tacks in one by one. You want to careful not to push too hard or the egg shell will crack. I found that a back and forth motion as I was gently pushing each tack through worked the best. Continue the process until your egg is completely covered. Depending on how flat the underside of your push pins are you may need a few dabs of glue as well. But I made a half dozen eggs and had no trouble with the pins staying in place without glue.

NOTE: This project is for adults only and is not intended for use around young children.

push-pin-easter-egg-how-to

And here are the finished eggs…

easter-polka-dot-egg-diy

Concept, photos, and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff for Paper & Stitch

Looking for more Easter DIYs to try? Click here.

33 comments to Make This: Polka Dot Thumb Tack Easter Eggs Click here to reply

Make This: Polka Dot Thumb Tack Easter Eggs: Over the weekend I went to town on some Easter… http://t.co/yDaoi96fNh

Brittni Mehlhoff (@papernstitch) commented on March 4th, 2013 at 11:01 am

Cute. RT“@papernstitch: Make This: Polka Dot Thumb Tack Easter Eggs: Over the weekend I went to town on some Easter… http://t.co/PeuGYPLxEc”

@melissa_chic commented on March 4th, 2013 at 11:03 am

Amazing, B! You’re knocking it out of the park with these Easter egg DIYs. Pressure is ON! ;)
Kelly @ Studio DIY recently posted..DIY Rainbow Fascinator

Kelly @ Studio DIY commented on March 4th, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Thanks Kelly. Can’t wait to see what you come up with for Easter.

P.S. Love your rainbow fascinator on Studio DIY today!

-B

papernstitch commented on March 4th, 2013 at 1:09 pm

So cute! At first I didn’t see that these were hard boiled eggs, I was going to say how do these not leak? But then I read it correctly! lol
Tanya recently posted..The Best WordPress Anti-Spam Plugins for 2012-2013

Tanya commented on March 4th, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Haha Tanya. Yeah, that would probably cause quite the mess if they weren’t hard boiled.

papernstitch commented on March 4th, 2013 at 2:17 pm

very unusual way to decorate easter eggs, but it looks great! I didnt realise that these were hard boiled at first either – was very intrigued as to how you did it!

Laura x

Laura commented on March 4th, 2013 at 5:58 pm

He he so cool! I once tried it, after I emptied the shell, it didn’t went well – So this is how to do it! thank you for sharing and have a great week:-)
monsterscircus recently posted..VIA CPH

monsterscircus commented on March 4th, 2013 at 7:34 pm

these are cute, wouldn’t have thought of this!
Zara recently posted..Chocolate Caramel Slice

Zara commented on March 4th, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Makes me a bit nervous (children, pets, etc.) May be better using fabric covered styrofoam eggs/balls.

Ro Chelle commented on March 4th, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Hey Ro. Yes, as I mentioned in the tutorial, this isn’t recommended for use around children. For extra security on the thumb tacks though, you can use a dab of glue on the inside area of each thumb tack before poking it through.

papernstitch commented on March 5th, 2013 at 7:53 am

For a quick & easy Easter decoration, have a go at these push pin eggs from Paper & Stitch http://t.co/B1Fy75uggL

@Homemakermag commented on March 5th, 2013 at 8:27 am

wow very trendy eggs:) look at me : http://handmadeowo.blogspot.com/

Magda commented on March 5th, 2013 at 8:47 am

Great Idea…

janika R recently posted..Hello Liberty..

janika R commented on March 5th, 2013 at 10:39 am

great idea! I love finding out new ways to decorate Easter eggs.

Kate commented on March 5th, 2013 at 12:36 pm

So it looks like my first comment didn’t make it through moderation. Really, these would be best made the morning you want to use them for decoration, and discarded as soon as possible after you’re finished entertaining. Or maybe you’re just using a magical brand of eggs that doesn’t smell like eggs, in which case please let me in on the secret, because this is a cute project.

Bloo commented on March 5th, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Hi Bloo. If you use blown eggs (or decorative eggs from the craft store) instead of hardboiled ones you won’t have to worry about that at all. Good luck!

papernstitch commented on March 5th, 2013 at 6:00 pm

This is brilliant! Industrial chic but in the form of an Easter egg!
Merrill recently posted..High Five For Friday

Merrill commented on March 5th, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Aw, thanks Merrill. :)

papernstitch commented on March 5th, 2013 at 6:45 pm

These polka dot thumb tack easter eggs are pretty cute and super easy to make. http://t.co/0KpSnd7wJk

Laura C. George (@Laura_C_George) commented on March 5th, 2013 at 7:59 pm

What a cute project! I love it so much that I decided to feature it in our roundup of Easter egg crafts! Check it out here: http://www.favecraftsblog.com/easter-egg-crafts/

Have a great day!

Julia @ FaveCrafts commented on March 14th, 2013 at 5:10 pm

This is crazy awesome! I’m loving all your egg ideas!

Marie commented on March 14th, 2013 at 10:36 pm

[...] 3. thumb tack polka dot Easter eggs from Paper & Stitch [...]

7 Awesome Easter Egg DIYs to Try | Paper & Stitch commented on March 15th, 2013 at 10:01 am

Thanks Marie!

papernstitch commented on March 15th, 2013 at 1:37 pm

These are so creative and unique!! Love the colors, too. I featured them on my blog today! http://missloviecreations.blogspot.com/2013/03/12-unique-easter-decorating-ideas.html Stop by and grab a button if you like. Have a happy weekend!!
Allie recently posted..12 Unique Easter Decorating Ideas

Allie commented on March 16th, 2013 at 12:41 pm

[...] 6.) polka dot brad easter egg [...]

easter egg ideas « liv3lovefashion commented on April 7th, 2013 at 9:34 pm

[...] Ovo enfeitado com tachinhas (Via Paper n Stitch) [...]

Decoração: presenteie quem você gosta com ovinhos personalizados! « Marcia Mello commented on April 12th, 2013 at 12:48 pm

[...] (via Paper and Stitch) [...]

10 DIY paasei versieringen | Ellies commented on May 11th, 2013 at 5:41 am

Safer for children and anyone who actually wants to EAT the egg – metallic stickers that come in circles and stars and all sorts of shapes.

Aint2nuts commented on June 24th, 2013 at 2:03 pm

[…] 5. Polka Dot Easter Eggs […]

11 Egg-cellent Easter Decor Ideas | Guidecentral Blog commented on March 19th, 2014 at 3:14 pm

[…] fabulous and inexpensive option…office chic eggs with Paper & Stitch using […]

TodaysMama.com - 8 Eggcellent Easter DIY Ideas commented on March 27th, 2014 at 2:30 pm

[…] 7 Polka Dot Thumb Tack Easter Eggs | Paper & Stitch […]

10 Best Easter Egg Decorating Ideas | Jillianastasia commented on April 14th, 2014 at 8:28 pm

[…] prijatelje – pisanice sa zakovicama! Samo ih morate utisnuti u ispuhana jaja. Na stranici Paper & Stich ćete naći […]

Cool Uskrs s cool sitnicama | Hypo Teens Klub commented on April 18th, 2014 at 6:47 am