09/04/13
46 comments Make This: Fresh Flower Pendant Light DIY by   |   46 comments

DIY // fresh flower pendant lamp

Okay, so this is the project I have been eagerly waiting to show you since this flower series with Flower Muse kicked off in August.

As you may know, I’ve been posting out of the box ways to incorporate fresh flowers into your home since last month. I started with a flower framed mirror with peonies and double bloom tulips. Then I shared a giant floral ampersand made with garden roses and ranunculus. And now?

For my last Flower Muse project, I’ve made a ‘live lampshade’ pendant light – filled with fresh dahlias, calla lilies, and a whole lot more. This project would be great for a dinner party, especially once the holidays start rolling around.

The idea was to create something that would act as a centerpiece without getting in the way of conversation or take up too much space (or any space at all) on a smaller dining table, like mine. I worked with Flower Muse to come up with a more dramatic color scheme for this one, with a mixture of beautiful flowers (with varying shapes), greenery, and fillers.

Here’s how you can make your own fresh flower pendant light…

flowers-from-flower-muse

filler-flowers-from-flower-muse

Flower Breakdown:

FYI – the folks at Flower Muse are beyond helpful and accommodating with flower orders. They are great to work with, so if you are looking for different kinds of flowers, etc (that might not be listed on their website) they will do their best to find what you’re looking for. And  if you can’t tell from the photos, their flowers are gorgeous. I’ve received three separate flower deliveries from them, from farms around the globe, and they are always really fresh (and last a long time). I will definitely be ordering from them again soon.

supplies-flower-diy

Additional Materials:

• Large wire basket with a hole at the top that your light kit will fit through
  • Light kit/pendant cord like this one from IKEA + lightbulb
  • Floral tape + Floral Wire (I used two gauges – one thin and one thick/ heavy duty)
  • Scissors + Wire cutters (optional – for the thicker gauge wire)

How-To:

Before you get started, let’s talk about flower care… For dahlias: They are sensitive to dirty water, so if you’re keeping them in a vase or bucket for a prolonged period, just make sure to re-cut and replace the water daily. For mini-callas: These only need 1 to 1.5″ of water (too much water is actually not good for callas – it can make the stems turn mushy too quickly). For everything else: Cut at least 1″ off each stem and place in 3-4″ of room temperature water. Let everything hydrate for at least 3-4 hours before you start working with them.

Okay, now let’s get started… There are a lot of pictures below to walk you through this one, but the basics are pretty easy…

DIY // flower pendant light with www.flowermuse.com

First things first, flip your basket over so the bottom is facing up. This is the framework for your pendant lampshade. Now you’re ready to begin. You’ll want to start with the greenery (like Green Pittisporum) as your base. Cut off descent size sprigs (6-10 inches) from a larger branch and begin attaching them to the wire basket with floral wire. You can also weave some of the pieces in and out of the basket for extra security. For heavy stems or branches, use the heavy gauge wire. Start weaving some of the other greenery into the frame at this time as well (like Viburnum berries). Once the basket has been decently covered with the greenery all the way around (you don’t have to fill in every hole because there are plenty of flowers still to add – this is just the start), start adding a few filler flowers, like wax flowers for example, to fill in some of the gaps. Secure with wire just as you did with the greenery. You can also add some sprigs of dusty miller around the base at this time.

Now that the lampshade is starting to fill out a little bit more, it’s time to start adding the really cool flowers, like mini calla lilies, dahlias, and purple veronica. Cut the stems fairly short (leave about 5-6 inches on the stem) and start weaving them into the shade, securing with wire as you go). Before securing flowers in certain spots, I would just kind of push the stem through the basket and then step back to see if it looked good. If you’re happy with it, secure it with wire, if not, move it to another spot and look at it from a distance before securing it with wire.

Once the bulk of the main flowers have been added, you can add some of the smaller fillers to round everything out. The thistle, berries, and scabiosa pods are perfect for this part. And you can cut the stems down to 5-6 inches before adding them, just like the others. Note: If you need to cover any additional areas but find you have run out of flowers, add additional greenery like dusty miller a couple of leaves at a time to fill in holes that have gone unnoticed (I wouldn’t recommend adding a whole stem at once – that’s a lot of leaves).

Once you’re happy with the arrangement, it’s time to add the light kit. As luck would have it, my light fit perfectly into the hole at the top of the wire basket. Then I screwed in the bottom piece of the light kit from underneath and it was perfectly secure. Add a lightbulb and you are ready to shine some light on your fresh flower masterpiece.

DIY flower pendant project

DIY flower pendant light (close up)

diy flower pendant light

diy-flower-pendant-light

And to answer the lighting question that you are probably wondering about it… Yes! It does light up. I had it on for about an hour and a half and it was completely fine. The wire basket that I used for the base was large enough that the flowers were not really disturbed by the heat. But just to be on the safe side, I wouldn’t leave this on when it’s unattended.

Here are a couple of photos of what it looks like with the light on…

flower pendant light with www.flowermuse.com

diy flower lampshade

On the table…There were lots of petals and leaves left on the table when we finished up, so I decided to leave it just as it was (newspaper and all),  and add an old scarf as a table runner. I also had some extra dusty miller left over, so I cut the stems really short and added them to a low profile bowl with some water and added a few scabiosa pods for a super simple tablescape.

flower pendant light

dahlias + calla lilies pendant light DIY

fresh flower lampshade DIY

What do you think? Would you ever tackle something like this for a party or special occasion?

Modeling by Amanda Toman // Concept, styling and photography by Brittni Mehlhoff

flowermuseThis post is brought to you by Flower Muse, a company dedicated to bringing the very best flowers right to your doorstep, direct from flower farms around the world. You can follow Flower Muse on Facebook // Twitter // Pinterest // and Instagram. All opinions and ideas are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make this blog possible.

46 comments to Make This: Fresh Flower Pendant Light DIY Click here to reply

wwaaauuuu!!!! I love this DIY, It’s very original!! you are so creative!!

DIY ON MY BLOG
STEL STYLE recently posted..DIY idea…

STEL STYLE commented on September 4th, 2013 at 9:54 am

Thanks Stel Style. :)

papernstitch commented on September 4th, 2013 at 9:57 am

I love this one, Britt! The photos are beautifully styled and I’m also digging the newspaper backdrop! :)
Lexy | The Proper Pinwheel recently posted..Four Anniversary Gift Ideas I Just Might Have To Pounce On

Lexy | The Proper Pinwheel commented on September 4th, 2013 at 10:31 am

Yay! Thanks Lex. :)

papernstitch commented on September 4th, 2013 at 10:35 am

Gorgeous! I don’t think this could be any dreamier!

-Becca
Ladyface Blog
Becca recently posted..Weekly Wishlist- Beautiful Browns

Becca commented on September 4th, 2013 at 10:40 am

How beautiful this is! Love it!
Tania recently posted..Forces of nature!

Tania commented on September 4th, 2013 at 10:59 am

It’s absolutely GORGEOUS!! One day I will have the patience & energy to try this!

xo, B
BKCsquared
B recently posted..Paradise On A Hill

B commented on September 4th, 2013 at 11:28 am

Aww. Thanks you guys. It was so fun to make…and probably my favorite of the three (although I love them all).

papernstitch commented on September 4th, 2013 at 11:43 am

I just can’t take it! While my heart might belong to the pink peony mirror, this one is just so moody and dramatic and wonderful too! I can’t get over how gorgeous it is. And the styling, per usual, is on PAR! Just amazing, Brittni. AMAZING!
Kelly @ Studio DIY recently posted..DIY Honeycomb Balloon Garland

Kelly @ Studio DIY commented on September 4th, 2013 at 11:56 am

Thanks Kelly. I was definitely going for more moody and dramatic on this one…trying different moods with each of the three.

papernstitch commented on September 4th, 2013 at 12:05 pm

brittni. you are A FLORAL DIY GODDESS. imagine sitting down to a tea party and looking up at this amazingness!?? xo
lyndsay // coco cake land recently posted..Coco Cake Land Blog Anniversary + A Sweet Giveaway!

lyndsay // coco cake land commented on September 4th, 2013 at 12:10 pm

A DIY floral goddess? Well that is just the sweetest thing ever. Thanks so much Lindsay.

papernstitch commented on September 4th, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Whatttttt. This is so cool. I would totally make this! And I love the newspaper wall! Thank you for sharing!

xx
YoungMild&Free recently posted..Oh Hey, Sorbet

YoungMild&Free commented on September 4th, 2013 at 3:06 pm

You’re killing me. I’m dying. I died. In a good way.
Chelsea C. recently posted..DIY Printable Watercolor Anniversary Card

Chelsea C. commented on September 4th, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Haha. Thanks Chels.

papernstitch commented on September 4th, 2013 at 4:00 pm

wowwwww this is amazing!!! so beautiful. love how all three of your floral DIYs are so different, yet all so brilliant! love the leftover dusty miller!
juni recently posted..DIY BIG BEN PARTY HAT

juni commented on September 4th, 2013 at 5:48 pm

This is absolutely brilliant. It’s one of those rare things that makes me want to get out of my pjs and head out immediately to buy flowers and search for a suitable basket.
Alyssa recently posted..Happy Hour: Peaches ‘n Cream Grownup Ice Cream Float

Alyssa commented on September 5th, 2013 at 4:03 am

Amazing LOVE LOVE LOVE

Mindy Dalzell commented on September 5th, 2013 at 5:50 am

How fabulous. I love how you’ve staged the scene with newspaper too. As for whether the bulb will end up burning the flowers and causing a fire hazard – It all depends on the wattage of your bulb. If the bulb is 5 inches or less away from the inside of the lampshade, just don’t use a wattage over 150.
Kiri recently posted..How to make a tripod table lamp

Kiri commented on September 5th, 2013 at 6:06 am

Very Beautiful!

Vicki commented on September 5th, 2013 at 7:58 am

[…] Another thing to make? This gorgeous fresh flower pendant light. […]

Down South at the Hopscotch Music Festival commented on September 6th, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Wow, spectacularly beautiful! It took me a while to get over my fear of working with fresh flowers, but I’m completely in love with it now. I just posted about making a large scale monogram floral A on my blog this week, in fact. But this is way more fresh and creative!

Nikki @ Tikkido commented on September 6th, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Oh my goodness. I have never seen anything so pretty. You are amazingly talented!

jamie commented on September 6th, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Thanks so much for all the lovely comments everyone. I wouldn’t have been able to pull this off without the help of Flower Muse. So I just wanted to say thank you to them again for working with me on this series. It was so wonderful to have all these gorgeous flowers at my fingertips.

papernstitch commented on September 6th, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Such a great collaboration you guys! Beautiful and original.
Rach recently posted..Lovely Links + Weekend Inspiration

Rach commented on September 7th, 2013 at 6:58 am

Thanks Rach. :)

papernstitch commented on September 9th, 2013 at 9:38 am

OH my gosh! This made me swoon just a bit. The only downside – I couldn’t stand to see it fade! Definitely shindig worthy!

Heather commented on September 10th, 2013 at 12:46 pm

This looks amazing! It’s a shame that it won’t last for long… but for a party a fantastic and very special decoration.
Sarah recently posted..Mini stand.

Sarah commented on September 12th, 2013 at 6:33 am

Oh my! This is a brilliant way to incorporate fresh flowers on the dinner table. Looks very edgy and dramatic!

Stine commented on September 21st, 2013 at 4:55 am

I MIGHT TRY USING VERY REALISTIC LOOKING ARTIFICIAL FLOWERS. THANKS FOR A BEAUTIFUL IDEA!

Rosemary commented on September 21st, 2013 at 8:19 pm

[…] fun would this fresh flower pendant light be for a dinner party or special occasion? Brittni from Paper & Stitch wanted to “create something that would act as a centerpiece without getting in the way of […]

Pretty & Special: DIY Fresh Flower Pendant Light — Paper & Stitch | chairfag.com commented on September 26th, 2013 at 10:03 am

Pretty & Special: DIY Fresh Flower Pendant Light — Paper & Stitch | Joindahunt. commented on September 26th, 2013 at 10:09 am

[…] – Row 1 | DSW Mix No. 6 Samperi Tassel Cross Body Bag via Clementine Daily; Fresh Flower Pendant Light DIY – Paper & Stitch; Row 2 | dark green velvet pumps from & Other […]

Hue Thrill Me | Hunter Green | Emily Ann Moschner commented on October 3rd, 2013 at 4:42 pm

[…] & Stitch featured a tutorial by Brittni Mehlhoff for this stunning ‘live lampshade’ pendant light made with fresh flowers. The longevity of this might be short, so it’s definitely one for a […]

DIY lamp and lampshade inspiration - September 2013 | I like that lamp commented on October 4th, 2013 at 5:53 am

Just stunning. What a perfect decoration for a girly high tea.

Kiri commented on October 4th, 2013 at 6:15 am

[…] W O // When I discovered this fresh floral pendant light over at Paper & Stitch I got more than a little excited. Obviously the upkeep on this beyond your big day might be a […]

Five DIY Wedding Projects You Will Definitely Want To Keep | Paper and Lace – Affordable and Alternative Wedding Inspiration for the New Zealand Bride commented on October 10th, 2013 at 3:25 pm

[…] Bouquet lighting via Paper & Stitch. Pressed flowers by Veda […]

Welcome the Outdoors In with these Nature-inspired DIYs | Story by ModCloth commented on October 28th, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Totally gorgeous! I wonder if there would be a way to do this with faux flowers so you could keep it up long term? I cringe saying that because fake flowers immediately conjure up tacky images in my mind, but I would be bummed to have this lovely pendant only last a short while…beautiful job!! xx
mary | millay vintage recently posted..in the shop | fall favorites

mary | millay vintage commented on October 29th, 2013 at 11:05 am

[…] Just change the flowers along with the season and you have a radiant centerpiece to rave about for every occasion. Organic, colorful and seasonal, it is hard to go wrong with this one. [from: paper n stitch blog] […]

50 Coolest DIY Pendant Lights commented on October 31st, 2013 at 5:41 pm

[…] Image Source: Paper and Stitch […]

Sources, styles & inspirations from Interior Designer, Dawn Cook commented on November 5th, 2013 at 11:57 am

[…] company and some very talented ladies this year to bring a few big flower projects to life (like this one for a fresh flower lampshade made of dahlias, calla lilies, and […]

Best of 2013 | Paper & Stitch commented on December 30th, 2013 at 9:00 am

This is beautiful! One thing I also noticed right away was the color of the pendant light cord. How did you make it that beautiful blue color? Thanks!

Lana commented on January 1st, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Thanks Lana. I covered the plain white cord in turquoise washi tape. I just wrapped it around the cord over and over again, all the way up. Super easy!

papernstitch commented on January 1st, 2014 at 7:15 pm

Genius! Definitely trying that. Again, gorgeous display!

Lana commented on January 1st, 2014 at 9:23 pm

[…] that would line up perfectly, but eventually I figured it out. The poster included an image of one of my most popular DIY projects and some info about me, along with a sentence or two about the party I was hosting at Alt Summit […]

Fold It Up: Unique DIY Business Cards | Paper & Stitch commented on March 11th, 2014 at 8:00 am

[…] Here’s a project sure to provoke conversation among the guests at your next party. It’s a DIY pendant light festooned with flowers. To make yours, start out with a wire basket, then use wire to attach fresh or faux flora. Add a light socket and a low-wattage bulb before hanging the assembly over the bar or buffet table. Wow. […]

DIY Pendant Light - 5 You Can Make - Bob Vila commented on April 18th, 2014 at 10:55 am