11/06/13
65 comments Make This: Merry & Bright Holiday Wall Art DIY by   |   65 comments

DIY // winter wall art decoration

This week, I’m in West Virginia at the most amazing cabin in the woods. It’s been really chilly here and we’ve been sipping plenty of apple cider and hot cocoa, which is getting me into the holiday spirit a little earlier than expected.

So today, I’m sharing my first winter holiday project of the year. I hope you don’t mind that it’s a little early. I have been waiting patiently for months to share this holiday DIY I created in partnership with Scotch® Color & Pattern Duct Tape.

I love the holidays as much as anyone else. Maybe even a little more than most. I do sing Christmas carols  pretty much all year long, after all. And Jeff can attest to that if you need proof. But when it comes to decorating around the house, I typically don’t go overboard. I like to incorporate items that blend in with the pieces we have in the house year round. So I guess you could say I like to go a little more subtle with my holiday decor.

Merry and Bright Wall Art DIY for the Holidays

That said, I created this giant (but still kind of understated) decorative wall art piece for the holidays to add a little something to that blank wall behind our couch. The idea is that these pieces can be used as home decor, throughout the holidays – while you’re writing your Christmas list on the couch, curled up with hot chocolate or throwing a holiday party and using the pieces as props for a photo booth. I selected non-traditional Christmas colors to blend in more with the decor you might have in your home already. So, it’s festive but not ‘in your face’.

Here’s how to make your own…

holiday wall art - supplies

Materials Needed:

• 5 foam core boards in any color *They’ll be completely covered when the project is finished.
  • acrylic paint
  • paint brush
  • Xacto knife
  • Scotch® Color & Pattern Duct Tape *I used Pearl White, Blue Turquoise, and Flaky (the snowflake pattern).
  • Command strips or something similar for hanging the finished piece

How to Make a Giant Holiday Sign

How-To:

1. Start by taping two of the foam core boards together, to create one long (horizontal) piece. Use tape on both the front and the back to keep it secure. Repeat this process with two more foam core boards and the leave the last of the five boards by itself.

2. On one of the larger, taped together boards, paint the word ‘merry’ in cursive (you want to make sure the letters are connected to each other). Make sure to fill in the width of the letters to a decent size – you’ll be cutting this out, so you don’t want it to be too thin. Then, repeat this process with the word ‘bright’ on the remaining large taped together board. And use the solo board to paint the word ‘and’.

*Don’t be afraid to ask for help. If you don’t like your own handwriting, ask a friend if they wouldn’t mine doing this step for you. I had my designer bud Jordan paint the words for me after I taped the foam core sections together because I love her cursive lettering so much. Way better than mine, that’s for sure.

3. Once the paint is completely dry, it’s time to cut it out. I used a very sharp Xacto knife and it was really easy. Just make sure you have a very sharp cutting knife or box cutter so you don’t have to overexert yourself (plus it will cut more smoothly).

4. Once the three words have been cut out, it is time to start wrapping them. To conserve tape, I cut small pieces off of the roll, all the same length, and wrapped each piece around from the front to the back (leaving some of the back uncovered, since you won’t see it anyway). Cover each word completely with this process.

5. Now, all you have to do is attach something to the back of each word (like Command strips), and you are ready to hang!

all about the placement

I spent a lot of time figuring out exactly where I wanted the finished piece to go, how I wanted each word titled, etc. But once you get the placement down, it’s goes by really fast.

AND you can reuse this piece year after year. Even though I made this months ago, I’ve kept the finished piece so I can hang it up in our new place. It holds up well if stored flat.

DIY // Holiday Wall Art Decoration

holiday photo booth prop

You can also use them as photo booth props in a pinch. And if you’re already decorating, you might as well add some garland and a little hot cocoa (or coffee) to celebrate. Then, sit back and admire your work. You always have time for that, right? Ha!

Getting ready for the holidays

Holiday DIY to Try

DIY for the holidays

Credits: Photography Sarah Eddy for Paper & Stitch // Cursive lettering by Jordan Brantley // Concept & Styling Brittni Mehlhoff

For more DIY duct tape inspiration, follow Scotch® Color & Pattern Duct Tape on Facebook Twitter, and Pinterest.

colors & patterns, duct tape, tape , scotch duct tape, scotch tape

This post is a collaboration with Scotch® Color & Pattern Duct Tape website, but words and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make this site possible.

65 comments to Make This: Merry & Bright Holiday Wall Art DIY Click here to reply

What a fun and cool project!
Mayra Rivera recently posted..Homemade Smores Rustic Owl Cake

Mayra Rivera commented on November 6th, 2013 at 8:50 am

Thanks Mayra. It was really fun to make. I think I’m going to make another one when Christmas is over….maybe something for my office.

papernstitch commented on November 6th, 2013 at 9:00 am

what a lovely and gorgeous idea!
xx

petal and plume commented on November 6th, 2013 at 9:56 am

I love this, and the photos are so fun! I would definitely be tracing my handwriting in pencil, erasing, re-writing, erasing, and then painting. ;) Lucky you to have a friend with such gorgeous handwriting!
Stephanie recently posted..If We’re Being Honest: Grief & Loss

Stephanie commented on November 6th, 2013 at 10:41 am

You could definitely do pencil first, but I think you’ll find that a paint rush is a lot less intimidating than you think. Just water down the paint with a little water and it will flow really smoothly – perfect for cursive writing.

papernstitch commented on November 6th, 2013 at 10:42 am

I love love love this one! And with your table and couch it all kind of looks midcentury. Like a swingin’ Christmas. :)
Chelsea C. recently posted..My Holiday Mantle & An Invitation

Chelsea C. commented on November 6th, 2013 at 10:43 am

Haha. I love that – a swinging’ Christmas it is! Thanks Chels.

papernstitch commented on November 6th, 2013 at 11:17 am

Thats very cute! And the wording could be something completely else too, for other occasions, birthdays and such.
Mervi recently posted..Pops 12: Everybody’s Talkin’ by Harry Nilsson

Mervi commented on November 6th, 2013 at 11:21 am

This is so lovely! I bet you could take this idea and use it for all sorts of fun wall art. If only I had handwriting this lovely!

-Becca
Ladyface Blog
Becca recently posted..DIY Fabric Bow Hairpin

Becca commented on November 6th, 2013 at 11:45 am

Absolutely. Mervi and Becca – you could definitely use this idea for any occasion. Customize it for a birthday party, housewarming, or even something more permanent like a giant name plate in a kid’s bedroom, etc.

papernstitch commented on November 6th, 2013 at 11:47 am

Adorable! Pinning!!
Jodi Corcoran recently posted..Apartment Tour – Mastering the Gallery Wall

Jodi Corcoran commented on November 6th, 2013 at 12:09 pm

oh my gosh – this is such a fun idea!!! You did such a great job – love the color you used as that is one of my colors I use for Christmas. I may do what you are doing & make one for my office too! Thanks for the fun idea!

laura~eye candy event details commented on November 6th, 2013 at 12:54 pm

It turned out great. I love the color and font! Fun and classy! : )

Heather - Chickabug commented on November 6th, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Love a good simple DIY! Trying this out. Thanks!
Danielle recently posted..rest, reflection + renewal

Danielle commented on November 6th, 2013 at 5:26 pm

This is brilliant! I love how graphic it is.
Lena recently posted..It’s the little things that make a weekend. Hope yours was…

Lena commented on November 6th, 2013 at 6:32 pm

So pretty, love it! I need a friend with great handwriting…
Laurel (@abubblylife) recently posted..Pinterest Cover Boards by Color!

Laurel (@abubblylife) commented on November 6th, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Thanks so much for the compliments. Much appreciated.

papernstitch commented on November 6th, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Just lovely. Where is your couch from? Looking for one just like this!!

Tracy Sumner commented on November 7th, 2013 at 12:02 am

Hi Tracy. Our couch is from Crate and Barrel.

papernstitch commented on November 7th, 2013 at 12:27 am

Love love love! Such an adorable sign!

Sharon garofalow commented on November 7th, 2013 at 12:28 am

Thanks Sharon. :)

papernstitch commented on November 7th, 2013 at 1:00 am

Cool very cool!!!
Thank you!!!!!!!!

Anastasiya commented on November 7th, 2013 at 1:42 am

love it- looks awesome! can i ask where the couch is from?

Heather commented on November 7th, 2013 at 10:43 am

This is too too cute. Definitely trying this!
Kait recently posted..The Craft Room

Kait commented on November 7th, 2013 at 11:59 am

Could you share with us where the sofa is from?

kristen commented on November 7th, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Hi Heather and Kristen. The couch is from Crate and Barrel. We bought it a couple of years ago, so I’m not sure they carry it anymore. I did see a similar couch on Room and Board that is still available though. Best of luck in your couch search!

papernstitch commented on November 7th, 2013 at 11:59 pm

Gahh this is an all around beautiful post! Love the concept, styling, AND photography. Very, very excellent :) Also, do I spot your shoe diy from a while back?
Rachel | 52 Weeks Project recently posted..Handmade Holiday

Rachel | 52 Weeks Project commented on November 8th, 2013 at 2:41 am

Good eye Rachel – yep the shoes in the step by step are from a DIY I did way back when. I still wear ‘em all the time.

papernstitch commented on November 8th, 2013 at 7:00 am

[…] A not-too-obvious Christmas DIY to get things started. via Paper n Stitch. […]

Christmas DIY ideas – DIY SHoebox Dollhouse – Murakami Photos | Small for Big commented on November 8th, 2013 at 8:04 am

It looks like you used two different blues (Merry, Bright) – what colors did you use? What happened to the pearl white?

Angie commented on November 8th, 2013 at 11:26 am

Hi Angie. I used Pearl White at the beginning of the project, when I taped the foam core boards together. The Blue Turquoise and Flaky (the snowflake pattern) tapes were used for the finished pieces. The word ‘and’ is actually the snowflake pattern, which looks like a light blue from far away.

papernstitch commented on November 8th, 2013 at 11:45 am

Well, this is definitely my favorite holiday DIY I’ve seen. I NEED it in my life!!
Kelly @ Studio DIY recently posted..Happy Weekend!

Kelly @ Studio DIY commented on November 8th, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Aw, thanks Kel. You know that means a lot coming from the DIY party queen.

papernstitch commented on November 8th, 2013 at 7:41 pm

[…] Ornament tree by Indiska |2. Bright and Merry signs by Paper & Stitch |3. DIY fabric lights ornaments by Kojo Designs |4. Wrapping paper at […]

A colorful Christmas : This Little street commented on November 11th, 2013 at 8:04 am

That is AWESOME! And it looks like it is made of FELT in the pics! I love it. I have a huge wall behind the couch with nothing on it – yet. Perfect!
Mel @ Trailing After God recently posted..The Time We Stole A Burger King Toy

Mel @ Trailing After God commented on November 13th, 2013 at 10:51 pm

Thanks Mel! This is perfect for a big wall and will look great behind your couch. Happy holidays.

papernstitch commented on November 13th, 2013 at 11:31 pm

[…] I came up with a DIY spin off of this big wall project I shared here last week, which I’ll be sharing in the coming weeks. For now […]

5 DIYs to Try This Weekend | Paper & Stitch commented on November 15th, 2013 at 8:01 am

[…] I’m officially getting into the holiday spirit. I know that I’ve posted a couple of DIY Christmas ideas already, so my toes have already been dipped in the Xmas pool. But NOW I’m moving full […]

Make This: Giant Fringe Ornament DIY | Paper & Stitch commented on November 18th, 2013 at 8:00 am

I love this! It’s so fun. I’m attempting it today. My question is – how many rolls of tape should I buy for a similarly sized project??

Kristen commented on November 21st, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Hey Kristen. I used two rolls to cover the actual cut out letters and still had plenty of both (each one was a different color) leftover. So I don’t think you would need more than two. Have fun!

papernstitch commented on November 21st, 2013 at 6:55 pm

This looks fantastic! I thought it was felt at first, but tape is way less intimidating.
Congrats on making it to apartment therapy :)
JP recently posted..A Full Martha Stewart Thanksgiving

JP commented on November 22nd, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Thanks JP. I hadn’t seen the AT feature…appreciate you telling me about it. :)

papernstitch commented on November 22nd, 2013 at 6:00 pm

This is fabulous. for all of us that don’t like to decorate much especially. but, my big question is:

Where is that coffee mug from??

Stacey J commented on November 22nd, 2013 at 6:08 pm

It’s from West Elm, Stacey. I bought last year but I think they still have the mugs…or at least something similar.

papernstitch commented on November 22nd, 2013 at 6:34 pm

OMG DON’T USE BOX CUTTERS OVER A HARDWOOD FLOOR!!! AAAAAAAAH!

Maria commented on November 22nd, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Yep. That’s true Maria. I did NOT use a box cutter on the hardwood. It was staged for the photos – I cut the foam core on top of another, thicker piece of scrap foam core board on the counter when I actually cut it out. Thanks for bringing that to reader’s attentions though.

papernstitch commented on November 22nd, 2013 at 7:37 pm

[…] Merry and Bright Wall Art from Paper & Stitch […]

25+ Christmas Decor Ideas commented on November 23rd, 2013 at 11:24 am

[…] I’m totally loving the clean look of this merry and bright holiday wall art. […]

Amy’s Notebook 11.27.13 | The Motherload commented on November 27th, 2013 at 7:03 am

[…] Merry & Bright Holiday Wall Art via Paper and Stitch […]

12 Crafts of Christmas | Little Button Diaries commented on December 1st, 2013 at 6:53 am

I made this and it turned out great! I can’t wait to decorate :)

Thanks!

Jess commented on December 4th, 2013 at 1:37 pm

That’s awesome Jess! Do you have a photo? I’d love to see your finished piece.

papernstitch commented on December 4th, 2013 at 2:41 pm

[…] n Stitch wall art || decor8 gift tags || Smile and Wave himmeli […]

Make It Friday: Holiday DIYs Jade and Fern commented on December 6th, 2013 at 1:04 pm

This is so adorable! I made one tonight! Didn’t have the tape so I used paint (still drying) and cannot wait to put it up! Also special because I used my dads hand writing so that’s a neat personalized touch! Love this!!

Nicole commented on December 8th, 2013 at 11:11 pm

[…] Or cut out your words with paper (Image source) […]

Silverwood Living commented on December 9th, 2013 at 12:53 am

[…] Merry & Bright Holiday Wall Art DIY […]

What Are You Crafting This Holiday Season? | commented on December 9th, 2013 at 6:28 pm

Hello! I wanted to let you know that I’ve featured your project in my holiday DIY roundup! You can find the post here: http://spikesandstardust.com/2013/12/09/what-are-you-crafting-this-holiday-season/. I hope you have a wonderful day!

Indigo Colton commented on December 9th, 2013 at 6:31 pm

[…] photo by photographer Sarah Eddy (from the Merry and Bright DIY […]

Meet + Make // This Thursday | Paper & Stitch commented on December 10th, 2013 at 9:01 am

[…] Holiday decor […]

Friday Links: Winter Break Edition | MODA commented on December 13th, 2013 at 4:16 pm

[…] had every intention of using this DIY to Christmas up our fireplace with a “Merry & Bright” sign, using our existing […]

Holiday Home Tour | Ampersand commented on December 21st, 2013 at 11:04 pm

[…] In November, I worked with Scotch Tape, to create what ended up being my most pinned project of the year (pinned over 23,000 times – you guys are awesome!). Sarah Eddy was the photographer. Image […]

Best of 2013 | Paper & Stitch commented on December 30th, 2013 at 9:00 am

very nice :)

toey commented on January 25th, 2014 at 2:15 pm

It totally looks like felt. You did a great job.

Diane commented on August 22nd, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Pleaaase tell me where that WV Cabin is if it’s a rental. Gah, I’m in WV and NEED to stay somewhere like that! So gorgeous :) Also, thinking of doing this for our living room this winter!

Megan Dean commented on October 24th, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Hi Megan. This is the cabin we stayed at in West Virginia http://www.lostrivermodern.com – I highly recommend it!

Brittni commented on October 26th, 2014 at 8:19 pm

[…] guys know that I love anything oversized at this point: giant ampersands, big ol’ holiday artwork, etc. But I haven’t made anything oversized for Valentine’s Day yet. So, I’m just […]

DIY Valentine's Day Project: Giant Heart Art Photo Booth Prop | Paper and Stitch commented on November 4th, 2014 at 11:57 am