05/07/14
17 comments Make This: Mother’s Day Message Mail DIY by   |   17 comments

Mailable Mother's Day DIY to Try

I couldn’t let this last Wednesday before Mother’s Day roll around without putting together one more DIY for all the moms out there. And since my mom lives out of state, I wanted to make something that was easy to mail with just a stamp, instead of having to make a special trip to the post office.

After thinking about it for a while, I decided flat pack gifts would be the way to go. Basically anything that fits in a 5×7 envelope is game. The only catch is, one envelope just isn’t going to be enough. I have a lot of goodies to stuff in there!

So I partnered with Minted to put together a mailable Mother’s Day DIY message, complete with plenty of gifts…and greeting cards.

Loving these Mother's Day cards

Mother's Day cards

Here’s how to make a mailable Mother’s Day message…

Materials:

• 7 Mother’s Day greeting cards (there’s a big selection of fully customizable cards right here on Minted)
  • paint and paint brush
  • goodies to include inside envelopes, like photos, gift cards and art prints (selection of limited edition 5×7 art prints that fit perfectly inside these envelopes right here)

Psst… I actually picked a few cards from Minted that weren’t Mother’s Day designs (like this one and this one) and added my own M-Day phrases, just to get some different looks in there. You can do that SO easily on their site too – change the text, fonts, placement, etc and save it for later if you’re not ready to checkout. If you’ve never tried it before, you should definitely give it a go.

How-To:

Turn each envelope vertically and paint one letter on each envelope to spell out the message ‘LUV U MOM’ (or some other phrase if you’d prefer). Wait for the paint to dry, then add a greeting card to each one, and fill it with goodies (gift cards, family photos, art prints, small notepads, etc – anything that will fit into an envelope). Then address them to Mom and mail them out. Mail some envelopes on different days so that she doesn’t receive all the cards and gifts at once.

You can also write 1 of 7, 2 of 7 , etc on the back of each envelope, if you want. So that your Mom will know that there are more cards coming and she might want to wait to open them all at once.

How to make a mailable message for Mother's Day

Fun DIY for Mother's Day

The best about this DIY is the surprise factor though, if you ask me…Mom might not even notice that all of them spell out a message at first, especially if you make the letters very large, like I did. They feel more abstract that way – like designs rather than letters. But when she does figure it out, I’m pretty sure she’ll love it.

What do you think? Would you create one of these mailable messages for your mom?

Concept, photography and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff

—-

minted_headerThis post is in partnership with Minted.  All opinions and ideas are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make this blog possible.

17 comments to Make This: Mother’s Day Message Mail DIY Click here to reply

Great idea! This has inspired me. ❤️ Thank you for sharing. :)

Anna commented on May 7th, 2014 at 11:57 am

Glad to hear that Anna. Thanks for stopping by.

Brittni commented on May 7th, 2014 at 12:05 pm

What a fun idea for mom to get in the mail! This is great for so many of us who don’t live in the same city as our mothers!
Amanda {Nodak Nest} recently posted..Tiling and Mastic and Grout…Oh My!

Amanda {Nodak Nest} commented on May 7th, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Thanks Amanda.

Brittni commented on May 7th, 2014 at 1:30 pm

This is the sweetest idea, Britt! I am pocketing this as an idea to do for my mom! Also, what a fun birthday surprise it would be, too!!!
Kelly @ Studio DIY recently posted..Edible Flower Donuts

Kelly @ Studio DIY commented on May 7th, 2014 at 3:42 pm

Aw, thanks Kel. Yes – this would be so fun for a birthday!

Brittni commented on May 7th, 2014 at 7:00 pm

I LOVE this idea. So great for so many occasions!
Abigail Hortegas recently posted..Humans of SPU: Friends + Sun

Abigail Hortegas commented on May 7th, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Thanks Abigail.

Brittni commented on May 7th, 2014 at 11:45 pm

Such a stunning idea! I really like the hand lettering on the envelopes too :)

Carmia commented on May 8th, 2014 at 8:22 am

Thanks Carmia. I’m kind of self conscious about my lettering, so I really appreciate the compliment.

Brittni commented on May 9th, 2014 at 12:38 am

[…] with the new Mother Magazine. Turn Mother’s Day into a week long celebration by mail. This would make an impressive Mother’s Day brunch. And you could print a few of these to […]

Loving & Linking commented on May 10th, 2014 at 1:04 am

[…] DAY CARD PRINTABLE. | NOTE-WRAPPED FLOWERS.CARNATION CHAIR GARLAND. | MESSAGE MAIL DIY.CAKE TOPPERS. | WATERCOLOR CARD […]

Mother's Day DIYs commented on May 10th, 2014 at 3:53 am

[…] from Paper & Stitch […]

Alevtina Design | Mother’s Day Cards & Last Minute Crafts commented on May 10th, 2014 at 1:20 pm

This is brilliant! I love sending snail mail, and mailing several consecutive envelops like this with a hidden message is so clever. I’m super inspired–thank you!

amber commented on May 11th, 2014 at 5:05 am

Love love love love this
Jeanine recently posted..Tutorial: Hanging Planter Earrings

Jeanine commented on May 13th, 2014 at 10:01 am

[…] cool to write several different scrolls for a friend who needs a pick me up, along the lines of the DIY mailable messages I sent, only scrolls instead of greeting cards. And if you don’t have a special occasion […]

DIY Greeting Card Alternative: Easy Paper Scroll Project | Paper & Stitch commented on May 21st, 2014 at 8:00 am

[…] your dad doesn’t live nearby, you could always mail these to him, similar to the mailable Mother’s Day DIY I did last […]

How to Make a Unique Father's Day Gift for Dad | Paper & Stitch commented on June 11th, 2014 at 10:21 am