Stamp Camp: DIY Stamped Metal Jewelry

DIY Stamped Metal Jewelry

DIY Stamped Metal Jewelry

I don’t know how it happened, but I’m strangely addicted to metal stamping right now.

Have you ever tried it? It’s kind of awesome.

And now that I discovered it, I’m stamping things like crazy – necklaces, earrings, little bracelets…everything. The process is a whole lot like leather stamping, which I remember having a similar reaction to when I first tried it. There’s something about using a hammer that makes me feel super official.

So, today, I thought I would share a tutorial for how to make your own DIY stamped message metal bracelets. And to make things super easy, I also designed a new DIY kit for Darby Smart (that launched yesterday) that has all the materials you need to make your own. So you won’t need to go searching for all the jewelry making and metal stamping supplies on your own. Yay. Super easy!

Want to make your own stamped bracelets? Here’s how…

Stamped Metal Jewelry DIY Kit

This Darby Smart DIY kit that I designed has all the supplies you need to make your own set of bracelets. You get to choose which metal you want too…copper, silver, or brass. Copper and brass are my faves.

1. Start by placing a metal strip onto the metal block. Then gather all of the letters that you’ll need to create your message.

2. Once you have the letters, you can start stamping. Turn the first alphabet stamp upside-down, so that the letter is touching the metal. Position the letter where you want it and then hit the top of the metal stamp with the hammer included in the kit. It took me a couple of tries to get the hang of this, but here are a few tips to make this easier right from the start…

Make sure the stamp is straight up and down on the metal plate, so the letter will be stamped evenly (if it’s at an angle some areas of the letter may not get stamped). And hit the top of stamp fairly hard with the hammer, so you get a nice deep impression.

3. Once you’ve completed your stamped message, it’s time to form it into a bracelet shape. Using the bracelet bending bar provided in the kit, place one end of the stamped metal in the slit / holder area and bend the other side down, creating a curve. Repeat this process with the other end of the stamped metal bar. Now, you have the basic bracelet shape.

4. As a finishing touch, run a permanent marker over each letter indention and then wipe away any excess. The color from the marker will remain in the indention, so you can more easily read your stamped message or phrase. Just be sure to wipe off the excess marker immediately before it becomes permanent on the top part of the bracelet. It worked really well for me and I had no problems removing the marker from the top, non-indented areas. But I thought it was worth the reminder to mention it.

And that’s it. Now it’s ready to wear.

How To Make Stamped Metal Jewelry

If you can read any of the messages and phrases on the finished bracelets, you’ll see that I got a little creative with some of the bracelets.

My favorite bracelet message was ‘Cat Lady’, but I had a few inspirational phrases in there for good measure as well. And after photographing the bracelets shown in the photos, I made a couple more with old song lyrics (‘Baby Got Back’, anyone?) and the obligatory ‘Haters Gonna Hate’.

DIY Stamped Metal Jewelry

DIY Stamped Metal Jewelry

DIY Stamped Metal Jewelry

You could also stamp your name or an important date, etc. Or even turn these into friendship bracelets.

They would be a great gift for a friend’s birthday, or even when the holidays start to roll around. The way this year is flying by, December will be here before you know it.

DIY Stamped Metal Jewelry

DIY Stamped Metal Jewelry

DIY Stamped Metal Jewelry

Model Amanda Toman
Concept, photography, and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff

You can check out my new Darby Smart DIY kit here and all of my past kits right here, if you’re interested.

Have any phrases or words that you think would be fun for these bracelets? I’d love to hear your suggestions…I do have a few more bracelet blanks, after all.

Hmmmz. I think I’d do one to say “Be Awesome” or “Stay Crazy” or something weird like that.

Yep the more I think about it, I’d do “stay crazy”. But maybe that’s because I am, a little.

Anyway. Maybe if I bookmark this, somebody will get it for me for Christmas… I can hope. :)
Gianna recently posted..Gratefulness

Gianna | September 10th, 2014 at 8:45 am

Oh, I like the ‘stay crazy’ idea…which has me thinking that ‘stay wild’ would be a good one too!

Brittni | September 10th, 2014 at 9:00 am

this is the beginning of the best homemade christmas presents ever! I absolutely love this idea!

love, arielle
a simple elegance

arielle | September 10th, 2014 at 9:32 am

Haha. So glad, Arielle. These will make for fun Christmas presents, for sure.

Brittni | September 10th, 2014 at 10:00 am

beautiful and original DIY!! love it
STEL STYLE recently posted..Dreams of Tim Walker

STEL STYLE | September 10th, 2014 at 10:21 am

Aw, thanks. I appreciate that. :)

Brittni | September 10th, 2014 at 11:13 am

Oooh, I love this idea! I bet short lines of poetry or song lyrics could be beautiful. So long as it was short, of course.
Ashley Randall recently posted..Upcycled Lighting to Keep You Cozy

Ashley Randall | September 10th, 2014 at 1:04 pm

That would be fun. Good idea, Ashley.

Brittni | September 10th, 2014 at 1:30 pm

I would like to request a gold one! These are gorgeous, Britt! Also, whatever that cutting board is, it’s amazing.
Kelly @ Studio DIY recently posted..#MeetTheMindells: My Bridal Shower!

Kelly @ Studio DIY | September 10th, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Thanks Kel. And yeah, that stone board is my new favorite. Just got it.

Brittni | September 10th, 2014 at 3:09 pm

You just convinced me! I only thought I needed a metal stamping kit but I was wrong… I NEED IT!
Amber recently posted..Wise Words: Courage

Amber | September 10th, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Haha. Glad to hear that Amber.

Brittni | September 10th, 2014 at 5:00 pm

I have tried stamping metal but only stamping letters and numbers on ear tags for newborn lambs! I guess the same principle would apply for jewellery!
Amber Rhodes recently posted..Cowgirl Dirt Review

Amber Rhodes | September 10th, 2014 at 7:12 pm

I have never done anything like that, Amber. But I assume it would be a similar process. Also, baby lambs!? Adorable.

Brittni | September 10th, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Congrats that’s a great box!
I just emailed them two days ago to know if I can buy it from France, but unfortunately it’s not available for us :(
I wanted to stamp my studio’s name to wear it everyday, guess I will have to wait a few months :)
INSIGHT creative studio recently posted..Work in progress

INSIGHT creative studio | September 11th, 2014 at 5:46 am

Sorry to hear that. But I love the idea of stamping the name of your studio into metal. Good thinking.

Brittni | September 11th, 2014 at 6:00 am

I love these! Looking into buying a metal stamping kit because unfortunately I can’t get this kit shipped to NZ. What size are the stamps in this kit? I’m unsure how to work out what sizing I would want :)

Caitlin | Thistle & Tea

Caitlin | September 11th, 2014 at 7:42 am

Hi Caitlin. The stamps are just a standard metal stamping alphabet set. More details here

Brittni | September 11th, 2014 at 9:00 am

Left flat these would make great gift bookmarks.

Farmer Susan | September 11th, 2014 at 10:50 am

That’s a good idea, Susan! I like that.

Brittni | September 11th, 2014 at 10:59 am

[…] Stamp your favorite words on these DIY metal bracelets. […]

Fun Sunday Five: Vol 2 - Simplicity Relished | September 14th, 2014 at 8:19 am

Hi! I love this idea, and I just got the kit from Darby Smart. Is there a way to cut the bracelet strip (I got the copper one) into to so I can make skinnier bracelets? (I have small wrists).

Thanks!! Can’t wait to make this!

Caroline | September 15th, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Hi Caroline. Glad to hear you picked up the kit. Yes, there is a way to make the strips skinnier. Just use a sharp pair of heavy duty scissors (i.e. not typical craft scissors) and slowly cut through. The metal is pretty thin, so I think you’ll find that it’s pretty doable with a good pair of scissors. I’m not sure how professional it is, and you’ll need to be careful because the edges can be a little sharp, but it did the trick for me. Hope that helps!

Brittni | September 15th, 2014 at 5:59 pm

[…] utan istället vill ha nÃ¥got att bära runt handleden kan jag rekommendera en fin tutorial hos Paper & Stitch. Hon har gjort mängder av fina armband i mässing och koppar med bokstäver. Det är extremt […]

Gör ett armband i metall | DIY or DIE | September 21st, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Hi , I’m from brazil , your idea is cute <3 i loved this

Sarah | September 22nd, 2014 at 8:15 pm

[…] charming stamped bracelets from Brittni at Paper & Stitch would be a sweet gift idea (or a sweet gift to yourself).  Personalize the quote, put an inside […]

DIY to TRY - Year of Serendipity | October 6th, 2014 at 9:46 am

[…] Die Anleitung gibt es auf Brittnis Blog Paper & Stitch: Tuorial DIY Metallringe […]

DIY Metallringe … Wer braucht schon Diamanten? | snyggsnag | October 12th, 2014 at 6:32 am

I followed your tutorial but I cannot for the life of me get my bracelet to shape into a wearable shape. I’m using the bracelet bender that came with the kit from Darby Smart but still have an awkwardly shaped bracelet. Help!!

Ariana | October 17th, 2014 at 12:17 am

Hmmm..Can you explain the shape that is being created? I made quite a few of these and didn’t have any trouble. But if you can explain your results a little bit more, maybe I can help you come up with a solution.

Brittni | October 17th, 2014 at 1:06 am

[…] supplies. 2. Metal stamping bracelet kit I actually designed this project kit for Darby Smart (remember this post?), which is now available at Urban Outfitters! 3. The Modern natural DIYer book 4. Wool and the Gang […]

39 Gifts for Everyone on Your Holiday List - Paper and StitchPaper and Stitch | December 16th, 2015 at 3:49 pm