Hanging Around: DIY Clothing Hanger Idea

DIY Indigo Dyed Wooden Hangers

A couple of years ago, I was going through our closet, organizing / hanging clothes and realized that we needed an ‘adult’ makeover. It just hit me as I was standing there picking my sweater up off the floor that had fallen off the hanger for the 100th time. ‘Brittni, you are in your late 20s! You can afford some new hangers, girl. And *gasp* they can also match if that’s what your little OCD heart desires.’

All of our hangers were mismatched and kind of crappy, at the time (broken plastic hanger here, bent up wire hanger there). So, we went to Ikea and bought a closet’s worth of wood hangers and moved on after I did a couple of cartwheels. It’s the little things.

But now that time has passed, I kind of wanted to give these hangers an upgrade again. Maybe a little pop of color? Just for fun? So, I did. And I turned it into a little organization tutorial in case you want to give your hangers a mini makeover along with me…

Indigo Dyed Clothing Hanger DIY

How To Dye Wooden Clothing Hangers

Materials

– wood hangers (mine are from Ikea, but I also really like these because they have indentions to prevent slipping)
– coarse sandpaper (40-60 grit)
– dye (I like Rit – they have tons of colors available on Amazon)
– paint brush
– sealant
– wooden beads (with a hole larger enough to fit onto the hanger hook)

How To

1. First you’ll need to remove the finish/sealant on the hangers with sandpaper. If you’re using unfinished wood hangers than you can skip this step.

DIY // Dyed Wood Clothing Hangers

2. Wipe off all of the dust with a cloth after the entire hanger has been sandpapered.

3. Then, pour some dye into a small bowl, with a teeny bit of water (just enough to dilute the color ever so slightly) and use the dye as you would paint. Dip your brush in and starting painting the wood. Let the dye dry before adding additional coats. It took me at least two layers of dye for each hanger to achieve the deep color that you see in the photos.

Dyed Wood Clothing Hangers Tutorial

4. Wait for the dye to completely dry, then add one to two coats of sealant, to seal in the color, so it doesn’t rub off on your clothes.

5. Then, thread a bead through the metal part of the hanger, and it’s ready to use. You can add a bead of glue to the inside of the bead if you want the bead to be secure. I didn’t feel the need for it because I wanted the option of being able to switch out the beads for different colors and shapes later, etc.

Dyed Wood Clothing Hangers Tutorial

DIY Dyed Wood Clothing Hangers Tutorial

DIY Clothing Hangers Idea

You could also try this project with acrylic paint instead of dye, for a different look.

OR skip the painting all together and just add beads to the top of each hanger hook for a little DIY flair.

And if you go that route, you could paint little designs onto the beads to add extra little details. Or even make your own beads with air dry clay leftover from this DIY hanging planter project.

DIY Clothing Hanger Idea

Acne Studios

DIY Clothing Hangers

Concept, photography, and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff

Think you’ll give your clothing hangers an organizational mini makeover like this one? And more importantly, does it drive you crazy too to have mismatched hangers in your closet?

I was recently thinking about decorating hangers, this is great idea! Love the colors!!

Yukiko | September 9th, 2015 at 8:32 am

Oh cool, Yukio. Thanks!

Brittni | September 9th, 2015 at 9:01 am

I think I personally wouldn’t paint the hangers but I love the idea with the pearls and think I might actually try that on mine! I do like them coloured as well but I have to admit I’ve always been a sucker for wood and its very own colour and texture. 🙂
darjeelingtealeaves recently posted..A Life With Monsters – Dealing With Depression and Mental Health Issues

darjeelingtealeaves | September 9th, 2015 at 9:39 am

Totally hear you on that one, Darjeeling. I think, for me, it was more about the fact that I’ve been looking at the wood for the last year or two and just starting getting stick of it. So went with a change of pace in the looks department. I do think that just using the beads is a great alternative though. I’m sure it will look great with the wood, as is.

Brittni | September 9th, 2015 at 9:48 am

Aw that’s a cool idea! You could totally do christmas themed ones and even switch them out each season 🙂
Rhiannon recently posted..Welcome to my blog!

Rhiannon | September 9th, 2015 at 9:56 am

I like the seasonal idea, Rhianon. At the very least, you could switch out the beads to change up the look, as well. If you don’t feel like painting / dyeing again. Good idea.

Brittni | September 9th, 2015 at 9:58 am

I LOVE this idea!! How wonderfully simple yet super creative. Really adds something to an otherwise plain wardrobe!!
Gemma recently posted..Literary Lists // My September To Be Read

Gemma | September 9th, 2015 at 9:59 am

Thanks so much Gemma. Glad you like them.

Brittni | September 9th, 2015 at 10:03 am

This is such a great idea!!! I hate having mismatched hangers in my closet… might need to try this!!!
Kelly @ Studio DIY recently posted..Glazed Chocolate Cake Donuts (AKA My Favorite Donut!)

Kelly @ Studio DIY | September 9th, 2015 at 10:04 am

Thanks Kel. Yeah, the mismatched hangers drove me crazy, until I finally broke down and bought the wood ones.

Brittni | September 9th, 2015 at 10:10 am

I love the wooden bead at the top! Getting all new hangers is on my to-do list soon!
Heather @ The Deans List Blog recently posted..The Best Tips to a Clean + Clutter Free Home!

Heather @ The Deans List Blog | September 9th, 2015 at 10:15 am

Awesome, Heather!

Brittni | September 9th, 2015 at 10:35 am

Beautiful! I love the pinks with the blue! What a great idea.
Becky @dempsterlogbook recently posted..Camping Themed Birthday Party

Becky @dempsterlogbook | September 9th, 2015 at 10:48 am

will definitely be trying, alwaya trying to keep wardrobe organised!xx

Erika | Just That DIY

Erika | September 9th, 2015 at 11:29 am

Im pretty sure my heart just skipped a beat! These are stunning!
Rachel | The Crafted Life recently posted..West Elm Embroidery Workshop Recap

Rachel | The Crafted Life | September 9th, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Such a lovely idea! The result is absolutely beautiful! So easy and yet so lovely!
Monique | WritingMonique recently posted..DIY Disney Princess Cutlery Kit

Monique | WritingMonique | September 9th, 2015 at 12:45 pm

I love the finished look of the hangers; I will definitely keep this tutorial in mind when I finally have the chance to fix my wardrobe xx

Winnie recently posted..☮ 8 television shows you should definitely watch ☮

Winnie | September 9th, 2015 at 6:18 pm

This would be so cute for a little boutique!!

Xx Taylor
Taylor – Lights Camera Catwalk recently posted..Fall Transitional Photoshoot | Outfit No. 2

Taylor - Lights Camera Catwalk | September 9th, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Great creative idea!
Keri
Keri Blair recently posted..Leather and Fur For Fall

Keri Blair | September 9th, 2015 at 10:36 pm

Love the look of the mid/dark blue hangers! Mine are currently a mishmash of different hangers as well… I should really get my act together! Thanks for the spark of inspiration! (:

xx Jia, honeyandgazelle.wordpress.com

honey&gazelle | September 10th, 2015 at 7:40 am

What sort of sealant, since clothes are involved?

Mary Laura Fitzgerald | September 10th, 2015 at 8:35 am

Is it just me and my OCD or what about the different colors of beads? I would totally use the different colors to sort skirts, tops,sweaters, slacks etc. just a thought. Then it’s just a grab after first glance.

Lyn | September 10th, 2015 at 9:17 am

[…] ¿O un armario sin puertas? ¿Estás harta de las perchas de alambre de la tintorería? Pues personaliza unas perchas de madera y cambia totalmente el aspecto de tu ropa. Puedes incluso tener un código de colores para las […]

Ideas para el fin de semana - Demodé | September 11th, 2015 at 2:09 am

[…] This project made my heart skip a […]

Friday Links - The Crafted Life | September 11th, 2015 at 3:01 am

A little extra to your beads: color code outfits
So its easy to pickout clothes that go together in
A hurry.

helena page | September 12th, 2015 at 10:04 pm

I like the bead idea and I might go one step further and bead color code mix-match outfits for quick access to pieces needed.

Sue | September 14th, 2015 at 2:04 pm

[…] And if you want to see this technique on hangers, you need to check out this beautiful project ASAP! […]

DIY Dyed Picture Frames - The Crafted Life | January 19th, 2016 at 4:11 am

Hi Brittni, I really love these wooden hangers and how they look so simple to make and also strong. Thanks for sharing the step by step instructions. This is something that I should try out this weekend.

Cindy
Cindy Hoffman recently posted..Tips for a Productive and Minimalist Home Office

Cindy Hoffman | February 6th, 2016 at 12:31 pm

[…] 11) Update your hangers with a bit of color and wooden beads! You can use different colored beads to organize your clothing by type. Found on Paper & Stitch. […]

| BHG Style Spotters | February 2nd, 2017 at 10:00 am