A Creative Way to Wrap a Gift Card + DIY Gift Wrap for Pattern Lovers

DIY Gift Wrap for Pattern Lovers

Remember when you were in fourth grade and you would shake all of your presents before you opened them and try to guess what was inside? Well, I’m not sure if this is sad or not, but I know adults who still do that to this day. And it kind of ruins the whole gift giving thing.

So, I partnered with Gift Card Mall this year to throw all of those holiday ‘gift guessers’ off the scent with an interesting way to wrap gift card pressies. AND I have a DIY wrapping paper idea to share too, that pattern lovers will especially love.

Check out the video below for unsuspecting gift card packaging ideas and the DIY pattern lovers gift wrap…

You’ll see in the video, I picked up a Sephora gift card for a few of my friends from the Gift Card Mall at my local grocery store. But you can also head to giftcardmall.com to purchase online. There are TONS of brands that you can buy gift cards from too (Amazon, Target, iTunes, Starbucks, Nordstrom… even Visa gift cards).

Once you have your gift cards, slip them inside something other than an envelope. I used an record sleeve, a book, and a clutch. But you could also try a bar of chocolate (I like Compartes), a box within a box, a calendar, etc.

Creative ways to wrap a gift card

DIY holiday gift wrap for pattern lovers using chalk pastels and acrylic paint

Then wrap your gift with DIY wrapping paper. I used colorful craft paper and art supplies (chalk pastels and acrylic paint) to create interesting patterns before wrapping. Tip: If you use chalk pastels, be sure to use a spray fixative (or strong hold hairspray) on the entire design before using the gift wrap. More info on applying fixative in the video above.

Now you have an unsuspecting (and awesome) gift for a friend or family member and they no matter how hard they shake your gift they’ll never be able to guess what’s really inside.

DIY holiday gift wrap for pattern lovers using chalk pastels and acrylic paint

DIY holiday gift wrap for pattern lovers using chalk pastels and acrylic paint

DIY holiday gift wrap for pattern lovers using chalk pastels and acrylic paint

DIY holiday gift wrap for pattern lovers using chalk pastels and acrylic paint

Videography by Rachel Brewer
Photography and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff

What do you think of this DIY idea? Think you might give it a try this year?

This post is in partnership with Gift Card Mall. Thank you for supporting the brands that help keep Paper & Stitch running. Happy holidays!

This is so cute! I love your bright gift wrap.
Heather recently posted..9 finds // December

Heather | December 1st, 2015 at 3:17 pm

Thanks Heather!

Brittni | December 1st, 2015 at 4:00 pm

That album idea is genius! Seriously. Where did you find a blank album cover or did you cover it yourself?
Kimberly recently posted..Imperfect Balance

Kimberly | December 1st, 2015 at 4:18 pm

Thanks Kimberly! That is an actual album cover (its all pink and the name of the band s written really tiny on the front, which you couldn’t see in the video). BUT, I think covering an album would be a great option too.

Brittni | December 1st, 2015 at 4:20 pm

I really like the patterns you created, very colourful!
Michelle recently posted..Christmas Biscuits

Michelle | December 1st, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Thanks Michelle. I’ve been on a major pattern kick lately.

Brittni | December 1st, 2015 at 5:00 pm

I love the colours! I love the patterns! I love the gift in a gift idea! Lots of love for this post <3 <3 <3
Fran recently posted..DIY Scented Candle Gifts & Free Printable labels

Fran | December 2nd, 2015 at 6:03 am

Thanks Fran! Glad you like it.

Brittni | December 2nd, 2015 at 12:14 pm

So much cuteness!! I love the colors and patterns!
Nicole Underwood Gonzalez recently posted..Jupiter Local Gift Giving Guide

Nicole Underwood Gonzalez | December 2nd, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Aw, thanks Nicole.

Brittni | December 2nd, 2015 at 1:09 pm

You are so creative! And you’ve got an amazing eye for colour. I simply love the photo and the idea of gift wrapping always excites me! Thank you for sharing this!
Angela recently posted..FREE Christmas Gift Tags Download

Angela | December 4th, 2015 at 9:49 am

Love this! Where did you get the paper? Do certain kinds work better than others? Thanks!

Catherine | December 7th, 2015 at 5:16 pm

OH my goodness, B! This has to be the most beautiful gift wrap I have ever seen. Now, please come to AZ and wrap all my presents! :)
Lexy | Proper recently posted..Yum \\ Holiday Pie Crust Designs To Wow Your Friends

Lexy | Proper | December 9th, 2015 at 9:34 am

Aw, thanks Lex!!!! Gah, I would love to come visit and wrap presents. Miss ya.

Brittni | December 9th, 2015 at 10:23 am

Thanks Catherine. I got the paper from my local art supply store. It was $1.50 per sheet (24×30 size I believe) and comes in lots of colors. I would recommend using paper that’s a little thicker than normal gift wrap so that it the paint doesn’t wrinkle the paper. Hope that helps.

Brittni | December 9th, 2015 at 10:24 am

[…] Fringe Christmas Trees  22/Holiday Gift Wrap Download  23/DIY Gingerbread House Gift Boxes  24/DIY Wrap for Pattern Lovers  25/Free Printable Christmas Wrap  26/Felt Leaf Garland  27/DIY Foam Gradient Trees 28/DIY […]

Mega Holiday DIY + Printable Roundup - Design Crush | December 16th, 2015 at 11:01 am

This is such a cute and simple idea! Love your color choices, and LOVE. THIS. BLOG. Keep it up, girl! Love, Ray & A

Alisa | November 6th, 2016 at 10:48 am