It’s a DIY circle pillow! I’ve been seeing circle pillows make the rounds in some of my favorite shops recently. So I thought we should try DIYing a few. Turns out, they’re really easy to make and a WHOLE lot cheaper to DIY than to buy. So, I wanted to share the tutorial today. Click through to make your own DIY circle pillow in under 30 minutes.
The pattern fabric in the step by step photos is actually a big fabric dust cover that I’ve been saving from an old Clare V bag, that I had Emma cut up and sew into a pillow. It’s amazing the cool fabrics and prints you can find if you think a little outside the box on fabric choices. And the yellow pillow is leftover linen from the cocktail napkins DIY (which is prob my fave of the two).
Materials for DIY Circle Pillow
- fabric yardage (amount will depend on how large you make your pillow)
- poly fill (amount will depend on how large you make your pillow)
- something to trace the circle (like a large bowl)
- needle and thread the same color as fabric
- sewing machine
Instructions for DIY Circle Pillow
1. Trace the circle shape onto your fabric. I happen to have a large bowl that worked really well. Then cut out the shape.
2. Repeat the process from step 1 one more time with a second piece of fabric.
3. Then pin both pieces together (face to face if your fabric has a front and back).
4. Then sew all the way around the edges, minus a 3 inch area that you’ll leave open to fill with pillow stuffing. Backstitch at the beginning and end.
5. Flip the circle right side out and stuff as evenly as possible with the poly fill until you’ve reached the desired fullness.
6. Then hand stitch (we did a blind ‘ladder’ stitch) the 3 inch hole closed with a needle and thread and it’s ready to use.
Sewing Emma Spear / Photography Brittni Mehlhoff
Have you ever tried making your own pillows before? There are a bunch more pillow DIYs to try if you like this one.