Before I say anything else, I want to mention that this is NOT a recipe post. You all know I can barely make my way around the kitchen. So, now that you know that, here’s the story…
I wanted to use a bag of cheap spider rings that I found at the craft store for Halloween, but I knew keeping them in their original ring form wouldn’t work. They didn’t fit my (apparently) chunky fingers. So I incorporated them into a creepy blueberry pie centerpiece that is equal parts playful and spooky. Here’s what you’ll need to make your own…
Plastic Spider Rings // Black Gel Icing // Metallic Silver Sugar Crystals (looks a little bit like dust or spiderweb bits) // Scissors // Blueberry Pie
Step by Step Instructions:
1. Quickly wash and dry off your spider rings. Then using your sharpest scissors, cut the spider off the top of your plastic ring and set the ring part aside. You won’t need that piece for this project -all you need is the spider.
2. Spread gel icing all over your spider’s body and legs with your finger or a paint brush.
3. Next, lightly coat your spider in sugar crystals. It will stick to the icing.
4. Now it’s time to grab your pie. Blueberry works the best because it has that creepy, dark filling. I used a store bought pie, but homemade is always tastier if you have the time.
5. Sprinkle sugar on top of your pie, add your sugar spiders and you are ready to serve.
*If you want to make things extra creepy, cut a slice out of the pie and stick one of the spiders halfway in the filling. Also, spread some of the filling on top of the pie crust underneath the spiders to make it look like blood. Gross, but Halloween inspired nonetheless.
What are you making for Halloween? Anything special? I’d love to hear your ideas.
P.S. For even more DIYs, click here to see the full list of craft tutorials.