When I sat down at my computer to write this post, I stared at the blank page for almost an hour. Not because I had nothing to say, but because I have so many thoughts on a topic like this, I wanted to choose my words carefully.
The importance of buying handmade is not as cut and dry as it may seem on the surface. Although many people try to fit it neatly into whatever box happens to meet their agenda.
But the fact is… the real reasons why each one of us buys handmade goods is just as complex as the topic itself. There are a lot of layers to peel back. And everyone and their grandma has an opinion on the topic and their own set of reasons, as well they should. And guess what?
Each one of us has our own truth.
Yes, we all have our own reason(s) to support and contribute to this movement in arts and crafts. And it seems like some of us have forgotten that. So the one thing I want you to remember, in this amazing journey we have all willingly embarked on, is this…
We all buy handmade for different reasons…
1. Some of us feel a sense of camaraderie and community when we purchase something that was made by another individual.
2. Some of us prefer the quality of handmade goods to cheap, manufactured alternatives, and see buying handmade as a way of quietly (or perhaps loudly) protesting mass produced goods.
3. Some of us believe in mindful spending: respecting every dollar as an extension of ourselves.
4. Some of us interpret our purchases as a means of support and love for another.
5. Some of us like the originality and authenticity found in handmade goods.
6. Some of us like it “just because”.
7. Some of us follow the eco craft theory (thanks pns reader Amina for sending the link).
8. And some of us believe everything above is true.
But do you want to know the best part about those reason listed above, and even the reasons that aren’t listed?
No one reason is more right or wrong than another.
So although this post is actually called ‘The number one reason why we buy handmade‘, there is no number one reason. That’s right. There is no one, singular, definitive reason to reject the mass market of mediocrity in favor of handmade goods. There are MANY.
And my reason is just as good as yours. Your reason is just as good as mine. And there is enough room for everyone’s thoughts and opinions.
image above book planter by M JPorter Design