02/02/10
42 comments How to Create a Modern + Feminine Mirror by   |   42 comments

I don’t know about you, but doilies are one of my craft staples. I swear I can weasel them in to almost any project.

Case in point: today’s tutorial for how to make a modern (but feminine) frosted glass doily mirror. It’s pretty easy and makes for a great weekend warrior project. Make your own…

What do I need? Materials… Mirror (framed or unframed), paper doily, frosted glass finish spray, double-sided tape

How do I make it?

Steps… 1. Clean mirror with soap and water to remove any debris or dirt, and let dry.

2. Choose a paper doily that works for the size mirror you have. My doily is about a third of the size of mirror. On the backside of the doily, place double sided tape all over. You will want to overload it with tape so that you can stop the spray from going into areas you don’t want it to be. But you also want to be sure not to put tape over any areas that are suppose to be “open” in the doily. Then turn over and secure to the mirror anywhere you wish. Remember: The area you put the doily, will be the only spot in the mirror you will actually be able to see a reflection when we are done.

3. Place mirror down on flat surface. Shake frosted glass spray according to directions and then spray 7-12 inches away from the mirror in even, sweeping strokes. Thin layers are the best way to go about this to avoid drips and other inaccuracies. Wait for each coat to dry (about 15-10 minutes) before applying the next coat. My mirror took four coats.

4. After the last layer is completely dry, gently remove the paper doily and double-sided tape from mirror. Clean with damp cloth and you are ready to hang.

Looking for more ideas for quick weekend projects? Click here to visit the tutorials page filled with more than 25 easy diy’s.

42 comments to How to Create a Modern + Feminine Mirror Click here to reply

totally going to have to try this…

Susan Petersen commented on February 2nd, 2010 at 2:39 pm

What a beautiful project! I love this.

Tammy commented on February 2nd, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Thanks so much Susan and Tammy. Glad you like it.

papernstitch commented on February 2nd, 2010 at 2:59 pm

This is the best yet that you’ve posted! What a cool idea, and so easy. It could work in so many environments. And you KNOW I love a good mirror. =)

Shanon commented on February 2nd, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I love the display you created with the mirror – the yellow flowers really pop against the white mirror!

Piper aka one sydney road commented on February 2nd, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I love it and the best part…not a whole lot of materials or instructions!

Joanna commented on February 2nd, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Thank you so much Shannon. :) Yes, I know how much you love mirrors. The mirror I used actually reminds me of one of the mirrors you have photographed before…forget what else was in that photograph (but i love it).

papernstitch commented on February 2nd, 2010 at 4:15 pm

I LOVE this! So simple with GORGEOUS results. You’re so clever.

sloeginfizz commented on February 2nd, 2010 at 4:48 pm

=)

Shanon commented on February 2nd, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I love this idea!

lovesfool commented on February 2nd, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Love it! It’s on my list of things to try!

evie commented on February 2nd, 2010 at 9:31 pm

How easy to DIY! It’s darling.

Jeanee commented on February 3rd, 2010 at 2:40 am

wow. that is one great idea!! thanx for sharing!

lou commented on February 3rd, 2010 at 4:40 am

ohh- where is that cute little vase from ? <3

jo commented on February 4th, 2010 at 4:16 am

THIS IS JUST PLAIN RADNESS!

Miss B. commented on February 4th, 2010 at 5:33 pm

Fantastic!! I will definitely make one of these. thanks for the great idea!

Erin commented on February 10th, 2010 at 11:43 am

I have a whole new respect for doilies. Thanks for sharing!

Amanda commented on February 10th, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Great idea! You’d want to check your paper doily beforehand, to be sure it doesn’t have any “hanging chads” obstructing the punched-out design. I could see this working really well using colored spray paint, too, and with overlapped and/or off-center doilies.

Also, the phrase is “case in point”. :)

Sabra commented on February 10th, 2010 at 4:54 pm

i love this! i didn’t know that there was spray glass etching stuff. very cool. i can’t wait to try this!!

Soraia commented on February 11th, 2010 at 3:44 am

Hey, followed this project from d*s. Thanks for a great idea; i have some old blue frosted glass paint lying around, so I’ll try this for sure! Have also subscribed and looking forward to your future posts. Cheers!

Kitschcrazy commented on February 11th, 2010 at 4:20 pm

So have to try this!!!

Mike T. commented on February 11th, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Adorei, muito criatico, maravilhoso!!!

Dani Grossi commented on February 12th, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Simply cute!

Phares Causey commented on February 23rd, 2010 at 5:08 pm

This is so pretty! I know many people who would LOVE this as a gift. Thanks for the cool idea! I’m going to make this a future post (credited to you of course :D).

actsofflair commented on February 24th, 2010 at 11:35 pm

thanks everyone!

papernstitch commented on February 24th, 2010 at 11:49 pm

I tried this! I’m posting about it on my blog tomorrow. Thanks for the tutorial!

Taylor commented on March 19th, 2010 at 7:27 pm

[...] 16, 2010 in things I think are neat | Tags: mario, mirror 01| This Doilie mirror from Stitch & Paper. (Visit her site for a [...]

Neat things: Doilie Mirror & Rap « hello. sorry about the typos. commented on June 16th, 2010 at 10:50 am

[...] house. Brittini over at Paper N Stitch has a tutorial on how to make a home staple more feminine. The Frosted Doily Mirror is so easy, you can literally do it in between all of your house chores and it will be finished by [...]

Tutorial We <3: Frosted Doily Mirror « workshop commented on June 22nd, 2010 at 4:04 pm

[...] be perfect to hang by my jewelry.  the easy DIY tutorial can be found on a super cute blog called papernstitch (also where this picture came [...]

mirror inspiration « moments and momentos commented on November 28th, 2010 at 11:49 am

[...] wird was Kreatives angewandt. Dank papernstitch werden aus langweiligen Spiegel Eigenwerke entstehen. Ich weiß nicht wie’s euch geht, aber [...]

Spieglein Spieglein an der Wand… | Matrjoschki commented on March 3rd, 2011 at 4:48 am

Hi, love your mirror, thanks for the tutorial. Wanted to let you know I featured it on my blog, seemommymake.blogspot.com.

Thanks!!

Anna commented on March 30th, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Thanks so much Anna for the shout out in your recent roundup. Love the other mirror projects you included as well. :)

papernstitch commented on March 30th, 2011 at 2:05 pm

[...] Tutorial [...]

Inspiration | a red apple commented on March 31st, 2011 at 11:34 am

It’s a fantastic idea!!!!!

Caterina commented on July 29th, 2011 at 2:11 pm

[...] Lace Mirror [...]

Crafts 4 « Kate1975's Blog commented on July 30th, 2011 at 1:11 pm

absolutely lovee it…thanx so much for sharing..have got to get me some doilies and a fun mirror !! :o)
Pinky recently posted..Pots n Plants.

Pinky commented on August 31st, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Pretty and creative. Mirrors are mostly functional. This one makes you take a second look.
Angel Jewelry recently posted..Black Diamond Angel Necklace And Earrings – The New Chic Look

Angel Jewelry commented on November 2nd, 2011 at 12:51 am

[...] be a part of it. My project for a lacy frosted glass mirror is on page 46. You may remember the original mirror project from the papernstitch blog a couple of years ago if you’ve been around for a [...]

I’m in Women’s Day magazine | seattle prop styling + diy projects by brittni mehlhoff commented on February 27th, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I can’t wait to try this for tablescape mirrors.

Mary Beth commented on December 28th, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Just so you know, shelterness.com has stolen all your photos and summarized your tutorial here:

Asia Citro recently posted..10+ Super Easy Sensory Plays

Asia Citro commented on May 23rd, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Yikes. Thanks for letting me know Asia. I will be contacting them.

papernstitch commented on May 23rd, 2013 at 11:17 pm

[…] 29. Spraypainted Doily Lace Mirror by Paper & Stitch Have you noticed the comeback that lace is making? Brittni created a lovely delicate ‘frame’ by using a doily as a stencil. […]

30 Amazing DIY Decorative Mirrors - Pretty Handy Girl commented on September 15th, 2013 at 7:02 am